13 posts / 0 new
Last post
swlabr's picture
Up here in Canada
Mar 2008
4 months ago

Thought I'd share the new, trimmed down pedal board I just put together.

If any of you are familiar with the monster I assembled a few years back, this is a much more user friendly piece of equipment. I kept a lot of the same pedals from the old one, I just thinned it down to essentials. I like Boss. They're fairly indestructible, and reasonably priced.

The chain: (linked up in this order)

TC Electronics tuner. This is an upgrade from the Boss T-2 I had in the old board. This puppy can do sharps and flats, a must for playing open E live
VOX wah. Still the best on the market in my opinion
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter. I play a lot of clean tones, this creates a bit of flavour.
Boss CS-3 Compression/Sustain. Great for pulling a Country "pop" out of my LP
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive/Distortion. I shipped this bad boy to Six a few years back for a sweet mod. It has become a priceless addition to my tone.
Boss FZ-5. I don't use this much, but its a nice addition if we do Cream tunes
TC Electronics "Corona" Chorus. I had a Boss, this blew me away!!!
Boss TR-2 Tremelo. Another pedal to fill out clean tones

All powered by the "Voo-doo Labs" Pedal Power plus 2. This is a must if you have a board this size, beats the heck out of daisychaining off one or two plugs.
The blue cables are "George L's". They ain't cheap, but if my guitar is worth a few grand, my amp 800, all my pedals push close to another grand, why would I trust my sound to run though cables that are a buck each. That's just my theory....
The box I built, and will eventually drill holes and run the chords on the underside to clean things up a bit.

I hope you like my latest time consumer.

Don't resent growing old, too many are denied the privilege

tle4's picture
Warrington, Pa.
Jul 2008
1 day ago

Nice setup.... You ever try the fuzz before the OD? a Fuzz stacked with an OD will smooth it out and get you that creamy smooth sustain.

swlabr's picture
Up here in Canada
Mar 2008
4 months ago
Originally Posted by tle4

Nice setup.... You ever try the fuzz before the OD? a Fuzz stacked with an OD will smooth it out and get you that creamy smooth sustain.

Thanks

In the old board it was before the OD, but I was watching some vids on you-tube that suggested OD should go before all other distortions/fuzzes etc....

The beauty of this, is a few turns of a couple screws and it can be changed. My boards have always been living breathing entities, I rarely keep the exact set-up long. I'm always tinkering.

tle4's picture
Warrington, Pa.
Jul 2008
1 day ago

Yea.....It can be either way. I was just curious if you tried it the other way. Each way gives a different effect.

ITry's picture
Oct 2009
1 year ago

I also have a PH-3.

The ability to go from 4 stage, 8,10 and 12 is very nice.

I prefer the 4 stage, reminds me alot of the Maestro giant stomper I had, way back when.

Nice gear.

stonecreek342's picture
Benson NC
Sep 2010
2 years ago

wheres the delay?

Muddy Waters invented electricity !

Fender Music master, Vox Valvetronix AD50, 2Kustom defender 5watt heads, Line 6 spider valve HD100 H. Vox valvetronic SE floor board, Too many guitars to list,(yes honey i do need them all and no they dont all sound alike!!)

swlabr's picture
Up here in Canada
Mar 2008
4 months ago
Originally Posted by ITry

I also have a PH-3.

The ability to go from 4 stage, 8,10 and 12 is very nice.

I prefer the 4 stage, reminds me alot of the Maestro giant stomper I had, way back when.

Nice gear.

Thanks, I don't think I'm using the PH-3 to it's full potential, but I like what it does.

Originally Posted by stonecreek342

wheres the delay?

I have one, but I don't use it much, so based on size constraints, it didn't make the cut.

glassback's picture
lancashire united kingdom
Jan 2008
7 months ago

Hey thats looking a pretty tidy pedalboard Rich, love it.:cool:

If it ain't broke! It soon will be.
I cant sing i aint pretty and my legs are thin
Warning...Now armed with a bass guitar!

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrGlassback

Astroboy058's picture
Oakton,Virginia
Apr 2008
1 week ago

Nice board Rich!!

I too like the Boss products. They are good quality for sure. One day I will make myself a nice board and fill it with good stuff. Clay has been talking about making one for a couple of years now. Maybe we will make 2 exactly alike with mine having a turbo button on the side so mine is just a wee bit better :D.

If I can be of any help to any of you don't hesitate to PM me or ask in the forums. You could also e-mail me if you want.

Gary
www.SharpenYourAxxe.com

tminet's picture
New Jersey - Land of the Lost
Sep 2009
1 week ago

Cool, Rich! Looks very neat compared to mine, lol! I've gone through a bunch of boutique pedals, but currently half the pedals on my board are Boss pedals. Good, reliable, tough. I agree that a delay would be a good addition, but to each his own. I've got dozens of OD, distortion and fuzz pedals that I rotate through that board, but if I could only have two pedals, they'd be a compressor and a delay pedal. :cool:

If you hand me a guitar, I'll play the blues. That's the place I automatically go ~ Eric Clapton

http://www.youtube.com/Johndrakenosix

swlabr's picture
Up here in Canada
Mar 2008
4 months ago
Originally Posted by glassback

Hey thats looking a pretty tidy pedalboard Rich, love it.:cool:

Thanks Ian,

Once I finally settle on the finished layout, I will drill small holes to run the bulk of the cables on the underside. That will really clean it up

Originally Posted by Astroboy058

Nice board Rich!!

I too like the Boss products. They are good quality for sure. One day I will make myself a nice board and fill it with good stuff. Clay has been talking about making one for a couple of years now. Maybe we will make 2 exactly alike with mine having a turbo button on the side so mine is just a wee bit better :D.

Thanks Gary, the key I found is to try to limit yourself to the pedals you really like/need to obtain your sound. I am guilty of over-kill with my last board.

Let me know about that "Turbo" button...

Originally Posted by tminet

Cool, Rich! Looks very neat compared to mine, lol! I've gone through a bunch of boutique pedals, but currently half the pedals on my board are Boss pedals. Good, reliable, tough. I agree that a delay would be a good addition, but to each his own. I've got dozens of OD, distortion and fuzz pedals that I rotate through that board, but if I could only have two pedals, they'd be a compressor and a delay pedal. :cool:

We do a few tunes right up your musical pallet Tom. We have a sax so being able to play:

http://youtu.be/-cbUW2EY4KE

and: http://youtu.be/6jujG5X9iZs

is a lot of fun!

As for the delay, it might make its way in there if I decide I could use it more than the Tremolo