13 posts / 0 new
Last post
swlabr's picture
Up here in Canada
Mar 2008
1 week ago

Thought I'd share the new, trimmed down pedal board I just put together.

If any of you are familiar with the monster I assembled a few years back, this is a much more user friendly piece of equipment. I kept a lot of the same pedals from the old one, I just thinned it down to essentials. I like Boss. They're fairly indestructible, and reasonably priced.

The chain: (linked up in this order)

TC Electronics tuner. This is an upgrade from the Boss T-2 I had in the old board. This puppy can do sharps and flats, a must for playing open E live
VOX wah. Still the best on the market in my opinion
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter. I play a lot of clean tones, this creates a bit of flavour.
Boss CS-3 Compression/Sustain. Great for pulling a Country "pop" out of my LP
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive/Distortion. I shipped this bad boy to Six a few years back for a sweet mod. It has become a priceless addition to my tone.
Boss FZ-5. I don't use this much, but its a nice addition if we do Cream tunes
TC Electronics "Corona" Chorus. I had a Boss, this blew me away!!!
Boss TR-2 Tremelo. Another pedal to fill out clean tones

All powered by the "Voo-doo Labs" Pedal Power plus 2. This is a must if you have a board this size, beats the heck out of daisychaining off one or two plugs.
The blue cables are "George L's". They ain't cheap, but if my guitar is worth a few grand, my amp 800, all my pedals push close to another grand, why would I trust my sound to run though cables that are a buck each. That's just my theory....
The box I built, and will eventually drill holes and run the chords on the underside to clean things up a bit.

I hope you like my latest time consumer.

Don't resent growing old, too many are denied the privilege

tle4's picture
Warrington, Pa.
Jul 2008
20 hours ago

Nice setup.... You ever try the fuzz before the OD? a Fuzz stacked with an OD will smooth it out and get you that creamy smooth sustain.

swlabr's picture
Up here in Canada
Mar 2008
1 week ago
Originally Posted by tle4

Nice setup.... You ever try the fuzz before the OD? a Fuzz stacked with an OD will smooth it out and get you that creamy smooth sustain.

Thanks

In the old board it was before the OD, but I was watching some vids on you-tube that suggested OD should go before all other distortions/fuzzes etc....

The beauty of this, is a few turns of a couple screws and it can be changed. My boards have always been living breathing entities, I rarely keep the exact set-up long. I'm always tinkering.

tle4's picture
Warrington, Pa.
Jul 2008
20 hours ago

Yea.....It can be either way. I was just curious if you tried it the other way. Each way gives a different effect.

ITry's picture
Oct 2009
1 year ago

I also have a PH-3.

The ability to go from 4 stage, 8,10 and 12 is very nice.

I prefer the 4 stage, reminds me alot of the Maestro giant stomper I had, way back when.

Nice gear.

stonecreek342's picture
Benson NC
Sep 2010
2 years ago

wheres the delay?

Muddy Waters invented electricity !

Fender Music master, Vox Valvetronix AD50, 2Kustom defender 5watt heads, Line 6 spider valve HD100 H. Vox valvetronic SE floor board, Too many guitars to list,(yes honey i do need them all and no they dont all sound alike!!)

swlabr's picture
Up here in Canada
Mar 2008
1 week ago
Originally Posted by ITry

I also have a PH-3.

The ability to go from 4 stage, 8,10 and 12 is very nice.

I prefer the 4 stage, reminds me alot of the Maestro giant stomper I had, way back when.

Nice gear.

Thanks, I don't think I'm using the PH-3 to it's full potential, but I like what it does.

Originally Posted by stonecreek342

wheres the delay?

I have one, but I don't use it much, so based on size constraints, it didn't make the cut.

glassback's picture
lancashire united kingdom
Jan 2008
9 months ago

Hey thats looking a pretty tidy pedalboard Rich, love it.:cool:

If it ain't broke! It soon will be.
I cant sing i aint pretty and my legs are thin
Warning...Now armed with a bass guitar!

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrGlassback

Astroboy058's picture
Oakton,Virginia
Apr 2008
1 month ago

Nice board Rich!!

I too like the Boss products. They are good quality for sure. One day I will make myself a nice board and fill it with good stuff. Clay has been talking about making one for a couple of years now. Maybe we will make 2 exactly alike with mine having a turbo button on the side so mine is just a wee bit better :D.

If I can be of any help to any of you don't hesitate to PM me or ask in the forums. You could also e-mail me if you want.

Gary
www.SharpenYourAxxe.com

tminet's picture
New Jersey - Land of the Lost
Sep 2009
3 days ago

Cool, Rich! Looks very neat compared to mine, lol! I've gone through a bunch of boutique pedals, but currently half the pedals on my board are Boss pedals. Good, reliable, tough. I agree that a delay would be a good addition, but to each his own. I've got dozens of OD, distortion and fuzz pedals that I rotate through that board, but if I could only have two pedals, they'd be a compressor and a delay pedal. :cool:

If you hand me a guitar, I'll play the blues. That's the place I automatically go ~ Eric Clapton

http://www.youtube.com/Johndrakenosix

swlabr's picture
Up here in Canada
Mar 2008
1 week ago
Originally Posted by glassback

Hey thats looking a pretty tidy pedalboard Rich, love it.:cool:

Thanks Ian,

Once I finally settle on the finished layout, I will drill small holes to run the bulk of the cables on the underside. That will really clean it up

Originally Posted by Astroboy058

Nice board Rich!!

I too like the Boss products. They are good quality for sure. One day I will make myself a nice board and fill it with good stuff. Clay has been talking about making one for a couple of years now. Maybe we will make 2 exactly alike with mine having a turbo button on the side so mine is just a wee bit better :D.

Thanks Gary, the key I found is to try to limit yourself to the pedals you really like/need to obtain your sound. I am guilty of over-kill with my last board.

Let me know about that "Turbo" button...

Originally Posted by tminet

Cool, Rich! Looks very neat compared to mine, lol! I've gone through a bunch of boutique pedals, but currently half the pedals on my board are Boss pedals. Good, reliable, tough. I agree that a delay would be a good addition, but to each his own. I've got dozens of OD, distortion and fuzz pedals that I rotate through that board, but if I could only have two pedals, they'd be a compressor and a delay pedal. :cool:

We do a few tunes right up your musical pallet Tom. We have a sax so being able to play:

http://youtu.be/-cbUW2EY4KE

and: http://youtu.be/6jujG5X9iZs

is a lot of fun!

As for the delay, it might make its way in there if I decide I could use it more than the Tremolo