28 posts / 0 new
Last post
SIXSTRING63's picture
upstate New York
May 2008
1 month ago

I knew you would like them. I have em in most of my guitars now.

Originally Posted by Fellway

Damn, these orange drop caps are amazing! I have a much larger range of tone control now. I am glad that I made the switch. Now if only my amp wouldn't have blown out...

Anything worth doing is worth over doing.

mediumjohn's picture
LA / Lower Atlanta
Nov 2008
2 weeks ago

I know it's a little late now , but if you clip a hemostat (aka roach clip) or needle nose pliers to your wires while soldering you stand less chance of burning up stuff . It kind of helps disipate the heat and keeps stuff a tad cooler ...;)

SIXSTRING63's picture
upstate New York
May 2008
1 month ago

Good call :D unless you are experienced at soldering and can get a good joint quick without excess heat this is good advice. I do it so much it only takes a few seconds to get a good joint with out a lot of extra heat and you can do this with a lot of practice.

Originally Posted by mediumjohn

I know it's a little late now , but if you clip a hemostat (aka roach clip) or needle nose pliers to your wires while soldering you stand less chance of burning up stuff . It kind of helps disipate the heat and keeps stuff a tad cooler ...;)

Anything worth doing is worth over doing.

mediumjohn's picture
LA / Lower Atlanta
Nov 2008
2 weeks ago
Originally Posted by SIXSTRING63

Good call :D unless you are experienced at soldering and can get a good joint quick without excess heat this is good advice. I do it so much it only takes a few seconds to get a good joint with out a lot of extra heat and you can do this with a lot of practice.

I'm old , slow and into about the second six pack by the time I get ready to work on my stuff. I need all the help I can get... ;)

Fellway's picture
Kentucky (I am in no way country at all, though)
Jul 2010
4 years ago
Originally Posted by mediumjohn

I'm old , slow and into about the second six pack by the time I get ready to work on my stuff. I need all the help I can get... ;)

I usually do it with the help of my dad who is an electrical engineer. It helps. I am very good at unsoldering. I just need to get good at soldering.

Gear:
Kona K-1 acoustic (natural finish, stock)
Memphis Pre-1984 LP clone (My #1, secondhand, cherry/tobacco sunburst, stock other than SD p'up, orange drops, and Kluson Locking tuners)
Fender M-80 Chorus (secondhand)
Monster 25ft cable and/or Monster 10ft Rock cable
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah, Model GCB-95
(I realize my gear is cheap, but it works just fine)

tle4's picture
Warrington, Pa.
Jul 2008
Today

Electrical soldering flux helps alot for soldering wires and components to the backs of pots. Flux will also make nice neat jobs when tinning wire. Strip and twist the wire, put a little flux on it, melt a little to solder on the tip of your soldering iron and then just run the tip of your iron down the wire. The solder will suck right into the wire nice and clean

You shouldn't have to worry about being too quick with capacitors and heat. they can take come heat. Pots can be damaged from excessive heat trying to solder to the backs of them. Other components like transistors can be very sensitive to heat. It doesn't hurt to be safe and use a clip to take the heat off the component if you are less experienced soldering though.

gpatton1's picture
Oct 2016
2 months ago
Originally Posted by Ross6860

Assuming two humbucker, two volume, and two tone pots.

Is the pickup four wire or two wire (two wire may actually just be a single conductor surrounded by a braided metal shield)?

Double check your connections. When you soldered the ground to the volume pot any chance you overheated the connection to the cap (capacitor between the volume pot and the tone pot).

If it (the tone knob) worked before you changed the p'up, it should still work.

The cap is the only connection between the volume and tone pot.

I had the same Tone POT issue.  It turned out to be a bad ground on the volume POT not the Tone POT Ground but the one that goes to the pickups.