2 posts / 0 new
Last post
jm417's picture
Peoria, IL
Jan 2008
4 years ago

I've been building a custom tele on my day off for what seems like forever. (okay more like 5 months) I've gotten completely done with the fabrication and I'm ready to finish the raw wood. I noticed that most modern guitars have black paint in the cavities. Usually under color and clear but its in there. You can tell on gutars with a natural finish easily. I was wondering if anybody knew how necessary such a thing is to keeping the noise down and if anybody knew where to get some if I need it.

Telecaster/USA Stratocaster/Gibson LP Std>Korg Pitchblack>Fulltone Clyde Deluxe>Hermida Zendrive>Rockett Pedals FlexDrive>Hollytronics Triangle Big Muff>MXR EQ>MXR Phase 90 script RI>DMB Pedals Lunar Echo>TC Electronic Nova Reverb>BBE Sonic Stomp>Mesa Dual Rectifier>Weber MASS 100>Avatar 2X12 w/V30's

Other stuff: Alvarez MF80C, Keeley TS9 and DS-1, Devilworks Jezebel, Deja Vibe, POG2, Vox V848, Spring Chicken, Tone Bender, '68 Fender Blender, Shredmaster, Small Clone, Fender Hot Rod Deville

olddawg's picture
Southern California & Hawaii usually, but I get around
Dec 2004
1 year ago

Sometimes it is conductive paint to shield the cavity. Usually it is to seal the route so the wood doesn't absorb moisture. It also strengthens the area. The wood is thin there. Some have it, some don't. If you really want to shield the cavity use copper foil.

Stage Guitars: '80s Thin line LP Custom, '70 LP Standard, '83 Squier Black Headstock Strat w/ Dan Torres pickups, '59 Black Danelectro DC, sometimes others.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A