7 posts / 0 new
Last post
cosmiqphuz's picture
Lancaster, Pa
Dec 2008
1 year ago

This has probably been done to death but I don't feel searching for it.

I just put a tele neck on my strat and I am getting a sitar-like buzz from the open high e string. I have my action pretty high and I strung her up with 10's. None of the other strings buzz and the e string doesn't buzz when I fret a note (even the first fret). It only buzzes when it is open.

Any help is appreciated.

olddawg's picture
Southern California & Hawaii usually, but I get around
Dec 2004
1 year ago

If it only does it with the string open, I would suspect the nut cut. Try cleaning the groove first. If that doesn't do it you might have to angle the cut lower in the rear towards the tuners. If that doesn't do it, you might have to cut a new nut. If you had a heavier guage string on the neck earlier the groove might simply be too big. Sometimes you can place a small piece of paper under the string in the groove (an old trick) to test it, but it will probably affect the open sustain although I've seem people play guitars for years this way. Also remember that most strats have string trees. If you are not using them they might be needed to get the right string angle before the nut.

Stage Guitars: '80s Thin line LP Custom, '70 LP Standard, '83 Squier Black Headstock Strat w/ Dan Torres pickups, '59 Black Danelectro DC, sometimes others.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A

cosmiqphuz's picture
Lancaster, Pa
Dec 2008
1 year ago

Thanks for the advice olddawg.

I'll try what you suggested and get back to you. I'm relieved that it is only the nut.

cosmiqphuz's picture
Lancaster, Pa
Dec 2008
1 year ago

Well, I put in a new nut and the buzz is gone.

Olddawg, you're the man.

Talent?!'s picture
Merseyside, U.K.
Aug 2003
2 years ago
Originally Posted by cosmiqphuz

This has probably been done to death but I don't feel searching for it.

Then you're a pratt.

-You are now breathing manually.
Gear

Quote:

Originally posted by thelabia {regarding glow in the dark furbies}
WOW!!! That'd rock!
Or you could give them spandex and facepaint and use the enclosure to hold Illegal furbie cage matches...
Theres never a dull moment with an empty krank head...

Quote:

Originally posted by Motorhead
If crack made a noise then the X2N would make the same noise.

asatbluesboy's picture
Brasil
Dec 2005
1 year ago
Originally Posted by Talent?!

Then you're a pratt.

You are responsible for most of my online-dictionary searches. Damn Brits...

crew

Quote:

Originally posted by pop_n_fresh
The thought of EMGs on a Jag makes me vomit a little.

Originally posted by paradeblonde
Beep beeeep beeeeeeeeeep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPP

Selling BOSS FW-3. I live in Brazil, mind you, so prepare yourself for $30-ish for shipping and waiting. Local pickup available, along with beautiful beaches and cheap bitches.

cosmiqphuz's picture
Lancaster, Pa
Dec 2008
1 year ago
Originally Posted by Talent?!

Then you're a pratt.

Thanks for the kind words Talent?! You really helped me out. You're such a nice guy.