107 posts / 0 new
Last post
swlabr's picture
Up here in Canada
Mar 2008
1 month ago
Originally Posted by adamstjames

I'd like to see ZZ Top in La Grange, Texas! That would be awesome...

I forgot a couple of other books -- since this is a thread about bios and auto-bios...

I've never read anything on ZZ, but that would be cool. 

I did, however, read a couple of really interesting books on Santana and Frank Zappa in the past year. I got them for like 50 cents each at my local library. They were being cleared out cheap, and I bought 'em, along with two Eric Clapton books I haven't yet read. 

Anyway, the cool thing was, while I was reading these books about Santana and Zappa -- both of whom I have enjoyed, but never totally knew about their early history -- I realized that while I was reading the books, I could call up their albums on Youtube on my smartphone and listen to what I was reading about.

And that made it all so real and cool. Both books were written in chronological order, so whatever chapter I was on, I would call up that album on my smartphone, on Youtube, and listen while I read the history of that album. 

It's a really cool way to bring a rock biography to life. 

Ya gotta try it!

I've done that too. It is a great way to discover, or rediscover an old catalog. 

Don't resent growing old, too many are denied the privilege

swlabr's picture
Up here in Canada
Mar 2008
1 month ago

WOW, the last entry was from me, over a year ago.... have we all stopped reading, or stopped sharing?
Regardless, I just finished Sting's autobiography called "Broken Music". It was pretty good. As I'm sure you can all imagine based on his history as a school teacher, and his lyrical abilities, it was well written. I was a huge fan of the Police. They were the first band I called "mine". Before them, I listened to my dad's Beatles, my Mum's Motown, or my older sister's offerings. They struck me, and I said.... YES!!
Sting does a really good job of his life's back history, but I could tell as I was almost half way through and he had yet to meet Andy or Stewart, this book was going to be a detail of life before the Police. And it was.
He describes the life of the band before the Police, Last Exit in great detail, almost as if it was they, who made it. Very interesting take.
He does take you through meeting Stewart, an early incarnation of the Police with an alternate guitarist who was there based solely on image, then Andy joining. He goes up to the release of Outlandos D'Amour, then wraps up his life.

A good read non the less.

john's picture
Jan 2007
Today
Originally Posted by swlabr

WOW, the last entry was from me, over a year ago.... have we all stopped reading, or stopped sharing?
Regardless, I just finished Sting's autobiography called "Broken Music". It was pretty good. As I'm sure you can all imagine based on his history as a school teacher, and his lyrical abilities, it was well written. I was a huge fan of the Police. They were the first band I called "mine". Before them, I listened to my dad's Beatles, my Mum's Motown, or my older sister's offerings. They struck me, and I said.... YES!!
Sting does a really good job of his life's back history, but I could tell as I was almost half way through and he had yet to meet Andy or Stewart, this book was going to be a detail of life before the Police. And it was.
He describes the life of the band before the Police, Last Exit in great detail, almost as if it was they, who made it. Very interesting take.
He does take you through meeting Stewart, an early incarnation of the Police with an alternate guitarist who was there based solely on image, then Andy joining. He goes up to the release of Outlandos D'Amour, then wraps up his life.

A good read non the less.

Nothing Like the Sun is still one of my fav all time albums which is strange for a guitarist since there is so little guitar on it.

Not sure I'm posting appropriately here but there is a documentary about the making of Songs in the Key of Life that was incredible. One of the guys said something along the lines of, "we didn't really know each other but we all felt something special was about to happen, maybe even historic". Again not helpful for guitar players but still a great doc.

If you want to get a headache, buy an old copy of StarLicks / Eric Johnson video lesson. I recall sitting down with that and about 20m though wanting to give up the guitar. So over my head at the time it was very discouraging.

Whether you think you can or can't, you're probably right.

swlabr's picture
Up here in Canada
Mar 2008
1 month ago
Originally Posted by john

Nothing Like the Sun is still one of my fav all time albums which is strange for a guitarist since there is so little guitar on it.

Not sure I'm posting appropriately here but there is a documentary about the making of Songs in the Key of Life that was incredible. One of the guys said something along the lines of, "we didn't really know each other but we all felt something special was about to happen, maybe even historic". Again not helpful for guitar players but still a great doc.

If you want to get a headache, buy an old copy of StarLicks / Eric Johnson video lesson. I recall sitting down with that and about 20m though wanting to give up the guitar. So over my head at the time it was very discouraging.

Nothing Like the Sun is in my rotation of "Sunday morning vinyl while I read the news on my iPad".... ritual.

Any documentary about Songs In the Key of Life would be great to watch!

john's picture
Jan 2007
Today
Originally Posted by swlabr

Nothing Like the Sun is in my rotation of "Sunday morning vinyl while I read the news on my iPad".... ritual.

Any documentary about Songs In the Key of Life would be great to watch!

Not a bad song on that entire album.

Whether you think you can or can't, you're probably right.

swlabr's picture
Up here in Canada
Mar 2008
1 month ago

I just finished Duff McKagan's second book, called, "How to Be A Man...(and other illusions)" not to be confused with his first book, "It's So Easy...(and other lies)". The first book was his early life, early bands, Gn'R, Velvet Revolver, Loaded, getting clean, etc.... (I did a write up on that one here too) This one is almost "a year in the life" kind of book. He's still clean, and trying to get his new band, "the Walking Papers" off the ground as well as performing in the touring Super-Group Kings of Chaos with various other monsters of rock. He writes a lot of it as a How-To in regards to life lessons he's found out the hard way, as a guide to all men. He has a few lists in where he posts "must listen to albums", "must read books", etc.... as well as child rearing anecdotes of a working dad.
I thought it was very well written, with lots of humor, at least my type of humor, but I found I had to be in the mood to read his style from time to time. Not always... but sometimes. It's a quick read too, not very long.
Worth checking out.