18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Charlie_M's picture
Jan 2007
6 years ago

Hi Guys,

Well I've got one song written and recorded and another written and will probably record it this weekend.

I'd like to put it on a website that I can point people to so that they can listen to it and give me any feedback they feel like providing (writing, mix/EQ, performance, etc...).

I'd like it best if people can listen to the song on a built-in player but not download it.

Anything like that out there that is more music-centric (I heard myspace has this capability? I wonder if yahoo does? ).

Thanks.

Peavey JSX 2X12 combo

Efects:
Boss DD-20 delay
MXR phase 90
Various self made effects

jmg's picture
Ireland
Jun 2004
8 years ago

Myspace is probably the best place to start, its pretty easy to use and you upload your songs without letting people download them (altough I'd recommend you let them download them)... Others you could check would be purevolume and garage band...

J

'72 Tele Deluxe Reissue
Highway 1 Strat HSS
Agile silverburst baritone
Epi Semi Acoustic

T-Rex Bloody Mary
DNA Analogic Gain Fxxker
Planet Waves Pedal Tuner
EHX small clone
Artex classic fuzz

Vox 10 watt (so the neighbours dont hate me)
Ampeg Super Rocket

Check out my band:
http://www.myspace.com/twentypercentdead

Charlie_M's picture
Jan 2007
6 years ago

Hey cool thanks I did that and posted my first original song ...

http://www.myspace.com/charliemillersmusic

Vocals need some work ... I'm only 3 voice lessons into what looks like it may be a long journey. Still... it's cool to be able to get yoru ideas out there.

Welcome any feedback on the song, performance, mix, etc...

Peavey JSX 2X12 combo

Efects:
Boss DD-20 delay
MXR phase 90

SFP's picture
sd, ca
Jun 2005
9 years ago

let your kid sing. he looks like he'd be a maniac.

Bought from sleewell: great pedal! Recommended!

Niels's picture
London
Jun 2005
3 years ago

I WAS going to say that I thought the guitar was to distorted and the singing was a bit meh.

BUT

The further I got in the song I realized the 'raw' feeling works really well! I'm really enjoying it actually! And I really like what you've done with the delayed guitar in parts of the song, very nice!

Kudos too you mate:)

Charlie_M's picture
Jan 2007
6 years ago

Hey thanks for the feedback and words of encouragement.

I've been working on improving the performance aspect a bit over the past week or so. I made a few changes to the track that's posted there now:

1. Main change was to improve and tighten up the timing - especially on the bass track.
2. I left the distortion full on in the delay part but went to more of a crunch in the verse part.
3. I think the vocal performance is improved a little in this one - still not where it needs to be yet but some progress anyway.
4. I think I liked the lead better in the first one but I'll redo that later. I've been spending so much time learning about the recording process, making drum tracks, bass tracks, etc...my lead playing hasn't received the amount of practice I'd like to give it. Will address that once I get through this learning curve on recording.

About the little guy... ya I have no doubt he'll be a wildman when his time comes. Going to be interesting for me as a parent, that's for sure.

Anyway.. I believe the new track is an improvement. Does it seem that way to you guys? Thanks - having feedback from other musicians is really valuable.

Charlie

Peavey JSX 2X12 combo

Efects:
Boss DD-20 delay
MXR phase 90

admiralbiscuit's picture
Here
Jan 2007
6 years ago

what do you use for recording? and have you heard about soundclick.com? It's a great dedicated music site.

Sup bro

Charlie_M's picture
Jan 2007
6 years ago

My mics are pretty modest :

CAD GXL 3000 condensedr mic for vocals

e609 silver dynamic mic for guitar

vocal also goes through n ART tube mic preamp which I also use for the bass buitar which is recorded direct.

soundcard is a digidesign digi002 rack running protools LE

I've been really happy with all this gear. The 002 rack is a great piece of pro quality gear, the tube mic pre is middle of the road but plenty good enough for my needs. The condenser mic is decent enough for my voice ! The e609 silver might be the best mic around for amplified guitar IHMO (it was cheap too!).

I never heard of that site I'll check it ou thankt.

Peavey JSX 2X12 combo

Efects:
Boss DD-20 delay
MXR phase 90

jmg's picture
Ireland
Jun 2004
8 years ago

I like it... guitar sounds little thin-y to me but thats probably just personal taste. It could probably do with doubling up the vocals in certain parts to push them up front a little more, your voice might lack a little power adding another track could help that.

I like the delay parts and the solo's cool. Good job... keep them coming... I've added you in the myspace.

J

'72 Tele Deluxe Reissue
Highway 1 Strat HSS
Agile silverburst baritone
Epi Semi Acoustic

T-Rex Bloody Mary
DNA Analogic Gain Fxxker
Planet Waves Pedal Tuner
EHX small clone
Artex classic fuzz

Vox 10 watt (so the neighbours dont hate me)
Ampeg Super Rocket

Check out my band:
http://www.myspace.com/twentypercentdead

bennintexas's picture
syruptown
Mar 2006
7 years ago

i was smiling the whole time, thought it was great!!

fender '52 telecaster reissue w/ bigsby
guild dearmond m-75

Felice's picture
Oct 2005
9 years ago

dude, I can definitely dig this. It has a really nice feel to it, chill and grungy.

However, I do thing that guitar sounds a little too.... digital? for lack of a better word.
But keep it goin for sure.