15 posts / 0 new
Last post
DWMC's picture
Sep 2004
10 years ago

I don't understand how these are written. Do these people just write things down and slap in a chorus.

How many chords does it take to make a punk song?

Rig:
Splatter Stratocaster (MIM)>Boss TU-80>Dunlop Crybaby>Peavey Classic 50 212

To Be Added Sometime Later:

Seagul S6
Mesa Boogie F-30

Dan_the_Man's picture
Redding CA
Oct 2002
8 years ago

No. They make it as if it's going to rhyme and then remove the rhyming parts. I've never liked a song that doesn't rhyme if you can tell they didn't do it that way.

Quote:

Originally posted by Talent?!
Definately Dan the Legend.

Quote:

Originally posted by CicadaSilence
Atreyu makes me want to kill myself. But if I did that, I'd fall into their target demographic.

You can see my dilemma.

Amsterdarn's picture
Apr 2003
4 years ago

Non-rhyming songs are harder to make, but when properly done, they can be brilliant.

Case in point, Guster's "Demons"- this was, at one point, my favorite song. If you don't have a predjudice about pop music, then check it out. If you do, stop listening to Clear Channel, get your head straight, then go check it out. The lyrics:

My words confuse you,
My eyes don't move or blink,
'Cause it's easier sometimes not to be sincere,
Somehow I make you believe,

[chorus]
When I speak I cross my fingers,
Will you know you've been decieved?
I find a need to be the demon,
A demon cannot be hurt.

Honest is easy,
Fiction's where genius lies,
'Cause it's easier sometimes not to be involved
Somehow I make you believe,

[Chorus]

...It was years before I actually noticed the lack of rhymes- the lyrics just work.

Member of the Grammar Nazis.

Tele

French Toast > Milk Box > Bad Monkey > DD-20

Blues Junior

http://www.purevolume.com/alexbirdsall

skip_tracer's picture
Wilmington, NC
Oct 2002
5 years ago

I think it's harder to write songs that rhyme than songs that don't rhyme. Just write down what you want to say and put it to a melody. I tend to notice lyrics that are forced into a rhyme scheme than lyrics that aren't. Use meter, internal rhyme, and alliteration in place of rhymes at the end of every line.

ForTheBones's picture
Jan 2004
11 years ago

the excellent songwriters out there who use prose, instead of ryhmes in their songs, are very talented because they understand the language components, and how it works with the rythmn and meter of their songs, and how to treat their voices like instruments. the ones that have the truly great sounding lyrics and song dont just throw down random words. theyre chosen as to how they sound with the music.. not only this, but how the vocals are presented is important if you use prose more often then rhymes. those who stress a lot more on their vocal range, and spread it out can lose the effect of a words syllables, because the word is less spoken, and sung more. you've got to keep in mind, the vocals are like another instrument in the band, and you're playing notes with your throat. A ochestra choir most of the time sings only with their range and they dont use words at all. With those vocalists, they do treat their voices just like instruments.

rhyming only helps if you're trying to write something very catchy.
Lou Reed wrote a lot of his songs in the Sing-speak style where he is speaking more then singing, Rhyming was extremely important to him because of this.

So, its depends a lot on your singing style too.

something terrible beautiful.

hot_rats!'s picture
richmond, virginia
Oct 2002
2 years ago

Originally posted by skip tracer
I think it's harder to write songs that rhyme than songs that don't rhyme. Just write down what you want to say and put it to a melody. I tend to notice lyrics that are forced into a rhyme scheme than lyrics that aren't. Use meter, internal rhyme, and alliteration in place of rhymes at the end of every line.

sonic youth's song "skip tracer" is a good example of nonrhyming lyric.

nyrkickazz1's picture
New York City
Oct 2003
1 year ago

Many, many Radiohead songs have no rhyme whatsoever.

Quote:

"Rickenbackers make you think in melodies rather than blues scales." - Roger McGuinn

My stuff.
Rickenbacker 4003/4001 conversion project.

JDogg's picture
Greater London, UK
Oct 2003
9 years ago

Very few of my songs rhyme.

When your rhyming, often you end up looking for words to say that rhyme, rather than syaing what you mean.

I never really thought about it, just wrote songs and they don't rhyme.

So I'll try not to breathe as I hold my head still,
the light bends on my face, there'd be tears if I cried
And I'll try not to think what the happy things were
I just think of the stuff that just made me **** scared

Gear Pics!
Rig Thread
Elita's Rev Online

FOR SALE/TRADE:

Vox Valvetone - £45 posted or trade for Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive

Digitech Digidelay (+cash) - trade for Boss DD-20

Amsterdarn's picture
Apr 2003
4 years ago

Originally posted by JDogg
I never really thought about it, just wrote songs

This is my main problem with music today.

(Don't take this as a slam on JDogg, I took that out of context to make a point about music at large.)

Member of the Grammar Nazis.

Tele

French Toast > Milk Box > Bad Monkey > DD-20

Blues Junior

http://www.purevolume.com/alexbirdsall

JDogg's picture
Greater London, UK
Oct 2003
9 years ago

Originally posted by Amsterdarn
This is my main problem with music today.

(Don't take this as a slam on JDogg, I took that out of context to make a point about music at large.)

Not taking offence.

I just don't understand what you mean.... :confused:

When I said I 'didn't think about it' what I meant was I didn't think 'I've got to make this rhyme', I just let it flow rather than trying to force rhyme.

What's wrong with that in your opinion?

So I'll try not to breathe as I hold my head still,
the light bends on my face, there'd be tears if I cried
And I'll try not to think what the happy things were
I just think of the stuff that just made me **** scared

Gear Pics!
Rig Thread
Elita's Rev Online

FOR SALE/TRADE:

Vox Valvetone - £45 posted or trade for Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive

Digitech Digidelay (+cash) - trade for Boss DD-20

garyfanclub's picture
Charlottesville, VA
Jul 2004
8 years ago

If you can express your emotion without rhyming, then why even bother trying to rhyme. Rhyme is pointless and sometimes just comes off as cliche and annoying. It's important w/ pop songs for 14 year olds to memorize but seriously...

amplified amplification amplifier