13 posts / 0 new
Last post
SantaCruzMack's picture
Santa Cruz, Cali
Mar 2004
8 years ago

Ok so I haven't slept in over 24 hours and over the course of the night I deicded I wanted to write a song so when I finally decided to do it, it took just a few minutes, I'm aiming for a sound between (more of just what I've been listening to tonight and inspiring the feel) Social D's "Ball & Chain" and The Clash's "Death Or Glory" and Costello's "Oliver's Army" and "Radio Radio" and Dropkick Murphys' "Sunshine Highway" so tell me what you think...

Burn Out Town

I was born n raised in a town
Where the night of the living dead
Stumbled all around
With chemical dependencies
and Homicidal tendencies
Just waiting to hit the ground

(Chorus)
Burn out town
Let's burn it all down
Burn out town
Let's burn it all down

I grew up in a town
Where rotting brains smell like ****
the minds surely drowned
with worthless clinics
and Hypocritical cynics
Denying wealthy backgrounds

CHORUS

(Bridge)
Get out of here
Save yourself
or your end is near
Get out of here
Save yourself
or your end is near

CHORUS (sung while the backing vocals repeat the bridge)

For Sale:
TASCAM 488 Analog 8 Track.
Marhsll MG50DFX
Boss BF-3 Flanger

SFP's picture
sd, ca
Jun 2005
9 years ago

Originally posted by Tommy Tommy
The lyrics seem okay, based off of just reading them. Truthfully, the way this song is written, I'd have to hear how you chose to sing the words. Where you would pause at is what i'm trying to figure out. Would you sing the two lines with tendencies & dependencies back to back really quick to get to the ground line?

Those two line sections seem sort of hard to fit into a rhythm. I'd like to hear it though. I like the lyrics.

Bought from sleewell: great pedal! Recommended!

SantaCruzMack's picture
Santa Cruz, Cali
Mar 2004
8 years ago

Thanks the "Tendencies/Dependencies" part actually has a kind of different break to it, I hope I can record this soon so I can show you guys.

For Sale:
Marhsll MG50DFX
Boss BF-3 Flanger

this isn't really about santa cruz is it?;)

^

hahaha

superreverb's picture
Buffalo, NY
Jun 2005
11 years ago

i'd probably throw a sort of dramatic pause before the 'save yourself' so that it fits with the 'get out of here'

get out of here
.......save yourself

idk if that helps? (the dots are just for spacing)

p.s. it sounds more like it should be about buffalo instead of santa cruz lol

airfall's picture
StL | School: Rochester
May 2003
10 years ago

nice! very weird, but nice. i don't really like it cuz its all creepy and stuff, but i like some of the things you've done with the rhyme scheme and beats and whatnot.

derrrr...

carvin ct4m > tu-2 > cp-101 > bud-wah > ds-1(diode mod) > (ononotdon's) french toast > dd-3 > ad-80 > homebuilt fender princeton

wish list: fish n chips, jamman, volume pedal, synth wah

maybe we can help

scarr's picture
Space City, TX
Jul 2004
9 years ago

I don't know any of the stuff you cited as reference, but I get the feel from the lyrics and I like it. :)

One small thing you should work on:
"Where the night of the living dead / Stumbled all around" implies that the night is stumbling. "The night" has nothing to do with anything--so get rid of it. ("Living dead" stands on it's own. The movie title is a bit of a crutch.) If you put another adjective/image in there and it'll be better for it.

"And if you go, furious angels will bring you back to me" - Rob Dougan

SantaCruzMack's picture
Santa Cruz, Cali
Mar 2004
8 years ago

I originally put the movie title so people could have an immediate image, but honestly it sounds more like the "membrane" part of "insane in the membrane" (stupid song) I'm thinking to change the line to "Where the dirty undead/stumbled all around"

For Sale:
Marhsll MG50DFX
Boss BF-3 Flanger

scarr's picture
Space City, TX
Jul 2004
9 years ago

I think that works a lot better. You don't need a movie title to get an image from "zombie", "undead" or "living dead". Well done. :)

"And if you go, furious angels will bring you back to me" - Rob Dougan

angry_nerd_rock's picture
SEATTLE
Oct 2004
10 years ago

man those lyrics are awesome. i luv the rhyming pattern. most of the time lyrics sound corny without the music, but i like yours.

You kill the thoughts
If you kill the man
Only to find
His thoughts will rise again

RIG:
Fender Delux HH strat Guitar
Crate 20Watt
Fostex digital 8-track
Squire P-Series Bass