21 posts / 0 new
Last post
iaresee's picture
Here
Sep 2006
10 months ago

Alright GG kids: I didn't complete last year. I didn't even really get started (1 song). In my defense my life was changing fastfastfast last February. Not that things are much slower now but I'm feeling more committed this year. And I'm not having a kid, changing jobs and changing cities all at the same time too.

I know Moo is doing the challenge. Anyone else? I'm "I Are See" on http://www.rpmchallenge.com/ -- if you're posting stuff let me know. I'd love to hear it. You can check the complete tracks from my album here:

http://ian.coastpedalboards.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=26&Itemid=35

As of writing: 4 down, 18:38 of music. That's 11:22 seconds left to go. I could actually complete this year!

- IAN C. -
Rig: PRS | Schecter USA | Gibson | Axe-Fx II | empress effects
Beta tester: Fractal Audio | empress effects

Fuzzhead's picture
St. Louis, MO.
Jul 2006
4 years ago

Ah dammit, that was THIS month? Too late now...

USA G&L ASAT -> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Bandcamp page: "Foundation" EP available now!
Ye olde Myspace

"Punk is whatever we make it to be." - D. Boon

iaresee's picture
Here
Sep 2006
10 months ago

Originally posted by Fuzzhead

You could do a 10 day marathon.

- IAN C. -

Moo_2's picture
Texas
Oct 2005
2 years ago

Originally posted by Fuzzhead

You can always do it next month :). It's not really a competition.

I have my tracklist done. 10 songs, 34:17, though time will probably drop a minute. Finished writing the last tune tonight. Poor vocals, so-so mixes so far, but there's 10 of em.

I'm finding the rough mixes really don't sound bad if the instrumentation works, which is easier if you're working relatively bare and not feeling obligated to add elements just because you're bored. A few tracks don't have bass just because I didn't feel like shoving it in. Mid-side recording is also awesome!

I got really burnt out this week. Right now I'm working on sequencing of all things!

Gentle Robot - Chapel Hill NC Rock Band

Seagull Artist Mosaic (acoustic)
Fender Strat Plus
Line 6 M9
Traynor YCV40WR

MrZosoNP's picture
left of left
Jan 2004
7 years ago

this is from my home town. I'm living in Germany right now and I'm doing the challenge with a guy who lives in Portsmouth and a guy who lives in Barcelona!

I can't believe other people know about this

Do you think a vintage laptop would sound better?

Quote:

Originally posted by Phrygia80
You cant polish a turd and you cant amplify one either.

nickphaneuf.com

my myspace

my compy rig (UPDATED)

some of my pedals

iaresee's picture
Here
Sep 2006
10 months ago

Originally posted by MrZosoNP
this is from my home town. I'm living in Germany right now and I'm doing the challenge with a guy who lives in Portsmouth and a guy who lives in Barcelona!

I can't believe other people know about this

Long distance collaboration: very cool man.

A random guy on the RPM board offered to do some Hammond up for my "Blossom" track, which I really wanted to play organ for, but suck too much to ruin the track with my organ playing.

I think next year I'll try a collaborative challenge. (Look at me talking about next year already! I've still got 11 more minutes to get done for THIS year!)

Moo: awesome man. I'm envious you're done. I've hit a bit of a wall. I finished up Blossom and then just haven't sat down since to write anything new. Tonight for sure. I'm going to have to put in a big push to make 11 more minutes in 9 days. Might have to do an acoustic track to get a simple tune in there.

- IAN C. -

iaresee's picture
Here
Sep 2006
10 months ago

No sign of the hammond track for Blossom yet but the guy did say he recorded it. He's trying to figure to get it from his multi-track unit to me.

I spent way too much time on the next track but I am really digging it. Check it out. It's called The Ride (for no reason in particular):

http://ian.coastpedalboards.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=26&Itemid=35

Still 8 more minute to go. I booked some time off work later this week and I have sketches down for the last 8 minutes so I'm pretty darn confident this year I'll make it. No artwork planned. This is about the music, not the visuals.

- IAN C. -

iaresee's picture
Here
Sep 2006
10 months ago

I'm pretty modest about the stuff I write but I have to say my latest track, In The Stars, is pretty ****ing great. Yea, it's a special track. I stayed up all night working on this one but it's worth the pain.

Enjoy.

- IAN C. -

guitarose's picture
London
May 2005
4 years ago

:( ...i only just heard of this!

Ibanez SA160QM (w/ Lindy Fralin's)
Boss TU-2 > Boss DS-2 > EHX Big Muff Pi > Arion SAD-1 > Boss PH3 >Boss RV-3 >Visual sound Jekyll & Hyde> Akai Headrush > tech 21 triac> "borrowed" Roland JC-50

For Sale/trade, PM for info:

Quote:

Originally posted by DAVIDCOUPE
Guitarose has had one for sale in his sig since i joined this ****ing site. Somebody just buy it!

Epiphone Alleykat (w/hard case)
DOD fx25B Diago gigman pedalboard (virtually as new) Boss OC-2 MXR Dynacomp

iaresee's picture
Here
Sep 2006
10 months ago

Originally posted by guitarose
:( ...i only just heard of this!

Quick! You've got 24 hours left! You can do it! ;)

- IAN C. -

Moo_2's picture
Texas
Oct 2005
2 years ago

CD's going in the mail tomorrow. I was killing myself trying to get everything perfect when time didn't really allow. Decided to let the loose ends hang.

All in all, pretty great experience. I am really proud of some of the songs, many of which would never have come about.

One night I played 12 or 15 takes of one lead part and gave up. Wasn't perfect. Came back the next day, comped all the parts into one, and it sounded brilliant.

Gentle Robot - Chapel Hill NC Rock Band

Seagull Artist Mosaic (acoustic)
Fender Strat Plus
Line 6 M9
Traynor YCV40WR