6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dan_the_Man's picture
Redding CA
Oct 2002
8 years ago

Do you guys think it would be cool if I took a U2 lyric and warped it out like this:

One man come in the name of war
he to agitate
here to kill for the unity said bonds cannot create

Approximately. I can't find my lyrics sheet right now. I just love taking old lyrics and screwing with them, like Rammstein does. It's like parody without the humor. The last one I did was Amazing Grace, so people aren't going to think it was a total ripoff.

What about this one, though? It's not a traditional song. I'm taking Pride in the Name of Love and changing it so that instead of Jesus, it's about Gavrilo Princip.

Quote:

Originally posted by Talent?!
Definately Dan the Legend.

Quote:

Originally posted by CicadaSilence
Atreyu makes me want to kill myself. But if I did that, I'd fall into their target demographic.

You can see my dilemma.

Amsterdarn's picture
Apr 2003
4 years ago

I always thought it was about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Member of the Grammar Nazis.

Tele

French Toast > Milk Box > Bad Monkey > DD-20

Blues Junior

http://www.purevolume.com/alexbirdsall

velvetjones's picture
St. Louis native in Chicago area
May 2003
2 years ago

The song is about Martin Luther King Jr. Its obvious from lines like "Early morning, April 4. A shot rings out in the Memphis Sky." However it is also about Jesus and the parallels between him and Dr. King. The line "one man betrayed with a kiss" is an obvious reference to Jesus.

MIM Srat, MIM Tele, or Hagstrom D2F >EB VP Jr>TC Electronic Nova Drive>Line 6 M13>Traynor YCV40 112

Amsterdarn's picture
Apr 2003
4 years ago

Touché.

As to the song altering... I don't know, man. I really don't. Follow your gut and do whatever you end up doing with respect.

Helpful, I know...

Member of the Grammar Nazis.

Tele

French Toast > Milk Box > Bad Monkey > DD-20

Blues Junior

http://www.purevolume.com/alexbirdsall

devankdevank's picture
lolz
Apr 2004
3 years ago

Eww, why would you want to rip off u2 in the first place?

But if you really want to I guess it's fine.

Quote:

The feeling I get from listening to Linkin Park is the same feeling I imagine a person would have if he found out he had cancer.

-Good ol' CicadaSilence

doingtheunstuck's picture
Vancouver, B.C.
Sep 2003
6 months ago

meh, okay in what sense?

IMO, plagarism is something which is demonized way too much. it was once typical to take a song and change one word and maybe one note and then get partial writing credit. hell, classical guys ripped each other off a lot...

and those examples are extreme. you're simply taking it as a base and working off of it, which IMO, is a great thing.

Good read