19 posts / 0 new
Last post
zenmaster1314's picture
Albuquerque, NM
Nov 2005
5 years ago

My boss wants to record phone interviews, and he asked me to find a way. So what I have come up with is using this to record the interviewee, and then a mic and a USB interface for the interviewer. I would connect the phone interface directly to the computers 3.5mm input on the soundcard, and then the mic and USB interface of course through the USB port. Then I would record it all with Audacity.

So, I would like to know if this sounds like it will work well, and if there are any better ways. And also, I want to know if there are any phone interfaces that allow you to use an RCA out or that just have an out put that could be used in stereo.

I was also thinking of using the phone interface and this.

And he wants it to be "DJ style" (clear mic'd DJ and interviewee on the phone)

Weber Mass Lite 100W- $120 shipped

Moo_2's picture
Texas
Oct 2005
3 years ago

Budget? The mic you posted looks like a cheap piece of crap.

Your computer treats a USB mic as another soundcard, so it's not going to be able to record both the mic and the telephone hookup at the same time.

Gentle Robot - Chapel Hill NC Rock Band

Seagull Artist Mosaic (acoustic)
Fender Strat Plus
Line 6 M9
Traynor YCV40WR

KiwiGreen's picture
Lynchburg, VA
Nov 2005
5 years ago

looks good to me, but why are you using the interface and a microphone for the interviewer? it says on the site that the interface records both ends of the conversation.

-Geoffrey

guitar > some pedals > amp head > cabinet.
throw some cords in there and you're good. *thumbs up*

my gear, updated 8/17/07

Genage's picture
Dec 2006
7 years ago

If you have a mac get jack os x and reroute the audio from the internet phone app skype which can call any line to you daw.

Use your best voice mic a pro large diaphragm condenser mic would be nice.

If you dont have a mac or linux shoot yourself in the foot

zenmaster1314's picture
Albuquerque, NM
Nov 2005
5 years ago

Originally posted by Moo
Budget? The mic you posted looks like a cheap piece of crap.

Your computer treats a USB mic as another soundcard, so it's not going to be able to record both the mic and the telephone hookup at the same time.

Budget is a max of $150. And the equipment doesn't need to be great (really can't be for that price), I just don't want it to sound like ****.

So, using a USB interface and hooking up the phone interface and a mic would work, right?

looks good to me, but why are you using the interface and a microphone for the interviewer? it says on the site that the interface records both ends of the conversation.

So that the interviewer doesn't sound like he is on the phone. He said he wants it to be "DJ style", so the interviewer needs to sound like he is mic'd up, while the interviewee sounds like they are on the phone.

If you have a mac get jack os x and reroute the audio from the internet phone app skype which can call any line to you daw.

Use your best voice mic a pro large diaphragm condenser mic would be nice.

If you dont have a mac or linux shoot yourself in the foot.

*Shoots self in foot* The office (aka where he would do this) is all PC, and I don't think he owns a mac.

Thanks for all the help. :)

Edit: What is a good SM58 knockoff? I think a condenser is out of the question on this budget.

KiwiGreen's picture
Lynchburg, VA
Nov 2005
5 years ago

Originally posted by zenmaster1314 So that the interviewer doesn't sound like he is on the phone. He said he wants it to be "DJ style", so the interviewer needs to sound like he is mic'd up, while the interviewee sounds like they are on the phone.

ah, okay. so are you going to just edit out the interview audio picked up by the interface?

-Geoffrey

guitar > some pedals > amp head > cabinet.
throw some cords in there and you're good. *thumbs up*

my gear, updated 8/17/07

zenmaster1314's picture
Albuquerque, NM
Nov 2005
5 years ago

Originally posted by KiwiGreen
ah, okay. so are you going to just edit out the interview audio picked up by the interface?

That's the plan.

Moo_2's picture
Texas
Oct 2005
3 years ago

There's a Behringer ripoff of the Sm58 for about half the price. Can't remember the model number.

This might be it: Behringer XM8500 - $20.

Gentle Robot - Chapel Hill NC Rock Band

Seagull Artist Mosaic (acoustic)
Fender Strat Plus
Line 6 M9
Traynor YCV40WR

zenmaster1314's picture
Albuquerque, NM
Nov 2005
5 years ago

Originally posted by Moo
There's a Behringer ripoff of the Sm58 for about half the price. Can't remember the model number.

This might be it: Behringer XM8500 - $20.

Thanks. :)

So here is my new plan. Behringer XM8500 and the phone line --------> this -------> a USB interface ------> Computer.

Now I need to find a suitable USB interface that has RCA inputs. Suggestions? Under $60 would be nice.

tymanrocks's picture
Toronto/Kingston
Apr 2006
4 years ago

Originally posted by zenmaster1314
What is a good SM58 knockoff? I think a condenser is out of the question on this budget.

I use Apex 381's. I attest to their quality.

DAVIDCOUPE's picture
Canada
May 2006
9 months ago

Phone>Guitar pickup>Wah>Fuzz>Amp>Regular Microphone>Computer

Tried it and loved it.