16 posts / 0 new
Last post
SlinkyMan's picture
Sep 2005
6 years ago

Its been a long time since I posted here looks like the site is running/looking way nicer than before. I'm an amateur (perhaps budding is a better word) recording engineer, my friend and I started recording music on my Mac with Tools LE. Neither of us own amps anymore so we plug DI into an Mbox and try to wrangle the sound digitally (we love shoegaze/psychedelic music).

Not long ago I had a trial version of IK Classiks Studio Reverb which had Inverse reverb and was pretty nice but I was wondering had anybody found other plugin reverbs w/inverse? Also does anybody who makes shoegaze/drone/experimental music on computers (DI/Synths/VST's) have any favorite virtual instruments or plugins which they swear by? I have no idea what to choose from the vast plugin world of drum-machines, delays, eq's, synths, etc. The sounds we are trying to achieve are much like Boris, My Bloody Valentine, Medicine, The Psychic Paramount, Aphex Twin... here are a few very recently recorded songs- http://www.myspace.com/mellowhollowlove

Hides-His-Eyes's picture
Apr 2009
4 years ago

Well i seriously like what you've done so far even if i'm no help!

myspace.com/notnowthishorizon
myspace.com/hideshiseyesmusic

SlinkyMan's picture
Sep 2005
6 years ago

Thank you. I wonder how many guitargeeks enjoy a bit of shoegaze these days. I seem to remember a while back there were quite a few fans.

earlyreflections's picture
Australia
Jul 2009
4 years ago

Welcome back Slinky! Your a fellow Australian also!! I'm from South Australia and quite a shoegazing fan indeed!

Well done with your recordings I enjoy what I'm hearing so far you've got a nice feel going on! I record on a similar format, I also have a Mac with a mbox2 using protools but my band uses mics to record all the instruments, but I have tried the DI before also and tweaked the sounds in protools! Unfortunately I can't help ya with plug-ins as we all use our own effects pedals :( But from what I hear your doing a good job already!

knives490's picture
Clinton, NC
Jun 2007
4 years ago

I enjoyed it man! You've got a friend request awaiting you. and I know about 95% of GG are still Shoegazers today.

Stargazer FX Site

I <3 Michel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntumbers
View Post
you gotz da mad skillz dawg.

you mod the titties off pedals, and you just got hair on your balls, what, 2 months ago?

I'm pushing 30 and all I can do with a soldering iron is burn myself.

Rents's picture
Bethnal Green, London
Feb 2003
10 months ago

oh, check out the 'secret garden: nu-gaze vol.1'

hard to find but i think u'll like it

SlinkyMan's picture
Sep 2005
6 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. Rents; I found Secret Garden on the net... acquiring now ;).

A while ago I found a video of a guitarist running his guitar DI into Logic or similar then using it as a MIDI trigger for Absynth. Each string could potentially trigger a different synth, though I since can't find the video. Anybody have any idea how something like that might be done?

P.S- Rents, j-treole is absolutely excellent. What do you play?

messy_bedroom's picture
Toronto On. Canada
Jun 2007
6 months ago

I'm a fan of the IK multimedia amp plug ins. the fender pack and the ampeg pack are amazing. i may never buy a bass amp now because i love the sound of the plug ins. i also like the moog delay.

Messy Bedroom Luxe & Reduxe

Good exchange with Cham Clowder.

DAVIDCOUPE's picture
Canada
May 2006
10 months ago

the slow motion song is so ****ing cool

Hides-His-Eyes's picture
Apr 2009
4 years ago

so can people recommend me some album's like the music in the threadstarter's myspace?

myspace.com/notnowthishorizon
myspace.com/hideshiseyesmusic

SlinkyMan's picture
Sep 2005
6 years ago

I put a few new songs up.
A few albums which include our main influences;

Medicine- Shot Forth Of Self Living
Flying Saucer Attack- Further
My Bloody Valentine- Loveless/Isn't Anything
My Violent Ego- Clicks & Hisses
The Brian Jonestown Massacre- Methadrone-
Fleeting Joys- Occult Radiance
Boris- Smile
The Psychic Paramount- Gamelan Into The Mink Supernatural

I find lots of popular 'shoegaze' groups to be less interesting because of either lack of experimentation or not enough drone. Actually if you enjoy black metal my favorite modern shoegaze band is a black metal band called Velvet Cacoon. Check out their album 'P aa Opal Poere Pr. 33'.