29 posts / 0 new
Last post
admin's picture
Aug 2014
Today

I listen to the radio, one of my local radio stations plays hard rock/ nu-metal. but it seems that its dying pretty quickly. Its getting way softer, one of my old stations i used to listen to lpayed some pretty hard stuff, now they play this soft crap i dont like, its more alternative. one of our old stations turned to a rap station, another is in the process, and one is on pause in changing, but the station is listen to seems to be going the way of the old station.

I think there is a good side to this though, Its a great fight against the RIAA for downloading music, we can't hear the music we like on the radio so we download it.

Is this happening anywhere else too? Im starting to think cd's and satelite radio are the ways to go.

sweeppicker's picture
Mar 2004
1 year ago

Well, I think metal will soon hit the mainstream even more, just look at the rise of clean vocals back into metal again. It was always there, but it seems to grow. IMO that is a very good thing. Look at Balance Of Power for instance. They have such poppy chorusses, I wouldn't be suprised if bands like that would reach the charts some day soon. It's time that dance crap dies.

teleman_2's picture
The land of Peace, Love, Justice and No Mercy
Mar 2003
3 years ago

In a parallel situation, around me, there is no real classic rock station. The two that are around play way too much "lite" classic rock like Elton John and Fleetwood Mac and not enough Cream, Springsteen, and Aerosmith. Three artists that i have to listen to the radio all week to hear a song from each. But i hear Steely Dan and Hall and Oates every day.

I can't wait til I get Sirius for Christmas.

Quote:

Originally posted by teleman
Bo Diddley is the baddest cat there ever was, and ever will be.

see my sale/trade thread

Originally posted by sweeppicker
Well, I think metal will soon hit the mainstream even more, just look at the rise of clean vocals back into metal again. It was always there, but it seems to grow. IMO that is a very good thing. Look at Balance Of Power for instance. They have such poppy chorusses, I wouldn't be suprised if bands like that would reach the charts some day soon. It's time that dance crap dies.

but do we really want all the pop people to start listening to metal? just imagine you at a concert and some chick starts talking to you about britney spears' music and how it is awesome, i think that would suck. I dont think any genre of music should die, everyone has thier taste, but I wish metal would break out and have more exposure than what it gets now.

HumblestPie's picture
Vancouver Island
Nov 2003
9 years ago

Don't ever listen to radio for the bulk of your music intake, it's not healthy.

Quote:

Walk with the Devil - old Delta blues players referred to guitar amplifiers as the "devil box." And they were right. You have to be an equal opportunity employer in terms of who you're bringing over from the other side. Electricity attracts devils and demons. Other instruments attract other spirits. An acoustic guitar attracts Casper. A mandolin attracts Wendy. But an electric guitar attracts Beelzebub.

Captain Beefheart's 4th Commandment of playing the guitar

DuB's picture
oklahoma
Sep 2004
7 years ago

Originally posted by HumblestPie
Don't ever listen to radio for the bulk of your music intake, it's not healthy.

lol... +1

Radio sucks.

I was waiting on a moment
But that moment never came
All the billion other moments
Were just slipping all away.
I was wanting you to love me
But your love, it never came
All the other love around me
Was just wasting all away.
~The Flaming Lips | Meditation: Why Bother? | What is Lucid Dreaming?

sweeppicker's picture
Mar 2004
1 year ago

Originally posted by summoner21
but do we really want all the pop people to start listening to metal? just imagine you at a concert and some chick starts talking to you about britney spears' music and how it is awesome, i think that would suck. I dont think any genre of music should die, everyone has thier taste, but I wish metal would break out and have more exposure than what it gets now.

I can't imagine some chick at a concert talks to you about Britney. Even in mainstream there are people with different tastes. I don't think Britney fans go to such concerts. But, yeah, anything is possible.

yes, radio does does suck, I just burned some cd's last night so im occupied with music for a while, then I'll burn some more, and download more.

sweeppicker's picture
Mar 2004
1 year ago

Originally posted by teleman
In a parallel situation, around me, there is no real classic rock station. The two that are around play way too much "lite" classic rock like Elton John and Fleetwood Mac and not enough Cream, Springsteen, and Aerosmith. Three artists that i have to listen to the radio all week to hear a song from each. But i hear Steely Dan and Hall and Oates every day.

Over here, we have a classic rock station named Arrow Classic Rock. They even organize a festival every year. Last year I saw Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy (what is left of it), Lynyrd Skynyrd and lots of other cool golden oldies.

This year, I saw G3, UFO (not with Schenker, but Vinnie Moore), Queensryche, Symphony X, Iron Butterfly, heard some Heart while I was getting stoned with some friends and my dad.

Anyways, a classic rock station is a must IMO. :)

This year, I saw G3, UFO (not with Schenker, but Vinnie Moore), Queensryche, Symphony X, Iron Butterfly, heard some Heart while I was getting stoned with some friends and my dad.

:eek: they have got to have shows like that over here! I need to get out more...

noname_2's picture
Jun 2004
10 years ago

I can't imagine some chick at a concert talks to you about Britney. Even in mainstream there are people with different tastes. I don't think Britney fans go to such concerts. But, yeah, anything is possible.

My girlfriend who's a metal chick all the way (played drums in my Prog. Death metal band, before the group broke up) likes some Britney Spears.

I once was Skuzze, then I lost it all...