8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mooman's picture
Jul 2003
7 years ago

What I want to do is record (badly) a guitar track to a metronome and then add in a drum machine track that uses real (or realistic) samples.

I want something where I can easily tab out a drum track, like in GuitarPro except with the real sounding samples rather than the crappy midi stuff GuitarPro has, then sync that track up with the metronome in the guitar track, and then save the whole thing as one .mp3 or something like that.

Thanks in advance.

Bah, Humbug

Moo_2's picture
Texas
Oct 2005
2 years ago

MIDI is pitch/timing data that drives samples or synthesizers. MIDI does not make sound.

You're looking for a sequencer. Reaper is free, if you're not looking to buy anything. Any DAW like Cubase, Sonar, Samplitude, etc etc can do what you're looking for, but they're not cheap.

Gentle Robot - Chapel Hill NC Rock Band

Seagull Artist Mosaic (acoustic)
Fender Strat Plus
Line 6 M9
Traynor YCV40WR

iaresee's picture
Here
Sep 2006
10 months ago

I bought ToonTrack's EZ Drummer VST plugin a few months ago and am in love with it. It's all live drumming that syncs to your tempo in Cubase and has nice little MIDI files you can manipulate to create very nice drum lines. Not perfect, but better than anything I've heard to date from software. I picked it up for like $180. Money well spent. I just bought the Twisted Kit expansion pack and I'm writing some Waits-type stuff. Very inspiring percussion. Heck, one of the tracks off my RPM Challenge disc was written around a particularly rocking EZ Drummer groove. Care to guess which one?

- IAN C. -
Rig: PRS | Schecter USA | Gibson | Axe-Fx II | empress effects
Beta tester: Fractal Audio | empress effects

Mooman's picture
Jul 2003
7 years ago

Do these programs let you create your own drum beats from samples?

Bah, Humbug

iaresee's picture
Here
Sep 2006
10 months ago

Originally posted by Mooman
Do these programs let you create your own drum beats from samples?

Yes. EZ Drummer is triggered by MIDI. You setup a beat on a MIDI line, point that MIDI line at the EX Drummer VSTi and voila! You have your MIDI drum line played using killer samples and with feel. You don't even have to do your MIDI lines with feel. Just lock it in and then the VSTi adds feel. Very nice. The EZ Drummer library is all MIDI snippets that you just cut and paste into a standard MIDI track. You can edit them once you've got them in place if you don't want to program from scratch.

- IAN C. -
Rig: PRS | Schecter USA | Gibson | Axe-Fx II | empress effects
Beta tester: Fractal Audio | empress effects

Robert_Mercier's picture
Sherbrooke,Canada
Apr 2008
6 years ago

I use FX pansion,Dr-008 for my drums sequences. You can put your own drums samples where you want to build your "custom" drum kit. I don't really know other prog than this one, cause it do everything I want to do.

For best result, I run Fxpansion thru Cakewalk sonar 4. Then write my drum sequences and add my guitars tracks. After, just a quick mix and I'm done.

I've got a new axe ! Sorry, tonight you take the couch

thezealots's picture
Baltimore, MD/Philadelphia, PA
Dec 2007
5 years ago

you could plot out a drum track on reason and then import it? just a thought

Quote:

Originally posted by DAVIDCOUPE
Beau won't rob your ass!

band | rig | sale | crew

spam: MAXON OD-808: $80 MODDED RAT2- lm308, ruetz mod, diode clipping- TRADE FOR VINTAGE/VINTAGE RI RAT

wtb: really anything, but: weird old stuff, modulation, fuzz, uni-vibes, anything by diamond, boss pedals ending in -3. PLEASE SEND ME PMS ABOUT WEIRD PEDALS!

Johnny_the_Boy's picture
Calgary, Alberta
Jun 2007
7 years ago

I used to use Beaterator until I bought a real drum machine (and learned how to mic my drums). It's pretty basic, but alot of the samples are great, and you can program your own beats down to the 16th note.

You can sync it up easily if you note the BPM on the metronome, and from there it's all pie.

She said, 'I want you.' I said, 'Finish your thought.'
Gear
Music