15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Blue_Collar_Man's picture
Home
Oct 2004
9 years ago

Can write lots of interesting parts on guitar, and my friends thing that my accoustic/instumental songs are good. BUT...

I dont know how to sing. Ive decided that i want to control the direction of my music, and i am looking into going solo with electronic drums, and to do either i need to sing and play guitar simultaneously.
I tryed to sing before, but my ex-drummer made fun of me, and i actually took it to heart. I havent sang in ages, and cant even really remember how to make a melody that fits my guitarwork.

Help please!

My 3 guitars. 3 tubes. 1 speaker. and a tuner. Pics of my stuff.

Successful trades with: Rushfanlv, Teleman

teleman_2's picture
The land of Peace, Love, Justice and No Mercy
Mar 2003
3 years ago

try taking vocal lessons. it certainly can't hurt.

i'm trying out with a band that is looking for a guitar player with backup vocals. I'm not the worst singer, but I'm not the best. I'm seriously thinking about taking lessons to make the most of what I have, "good enough for rocknroll" if you will.

Quote:

Originally posted by teleman
Bo Diddley is the baddest cat there ever was, and ever will be.

see my sale/trade thread

times-new-omen's picture
Pennsyltucky
Dec 2004
2 years ago

who cares.. you can do whatever you damn well please!! with a rig that sharp!

also, if you just holler out wildly as you play.. that would work. you don't necessarily have to sound like sting or colin hay.

take after johnny rotten. or if you're going for a more mellow vibe.. lou reed is a good example.

I'm times-new-omen and I approved this message.

GDan's picture
London
Nov 2002
4 years ago

Its well worth taking vocal lessions or at least getting a book. I took singing lessons and I found that there are two stages to learning.

Stage 1 is learning the technique

stage 2 is building your voice.

Building your voice is HARD and time consuming and what leads you from being an alright to a great singer but youl find that once you know even a little of the technique your singing voice improves 100%

A couple of basic tips:

Naturally most people try to tighten their throat to reach higher notes. This is wrong, You reach higher notes by using more power and by opening up your throat more. My singing teacher always told me to visualise a big yawn when I felt myself slacking.

A good sounding head voice is probably eaiser to cultivate than chest IMO. I hear a lot of rock singers who never seem to use anything else.

Power comes from the diaphram. When you breathe, breathe right deep down into your chest so your belly swells out rather than your ribcage. When you are pushing for power you should be pushing from your lower back, legs and arse. If your back/legs ache after heavy powerful singing thats fine. If your throat/chest hurts its not.

Have had successful trades with:
Dunky_poos
No_happy

The_Name's picture
Carrollton,GA
Apr 2005
11 years ago

Dave,
I'll tell you what I know from personal experiences: The hardest hurdle I ever came upon was "letting go" in front of others. With me, it never seemed to matter if it was my girlfriend, a couple of friends I jammed with, or 20 strangers at an open mic...I couldn't do it. I don't know if that's a problem or not, but I think a lot of us have that problem. As far as vocal lessons are concerned, I'm glad I never took them....I've known people it benefitted it some ways, but they lost the character they once had in their voice. There are well-trained singers on 'American Idol', but what sets them apart from the rest of the pack? Only the strength of the push they get as far as I can tell. Pretty much I've stolen lots of the little elements I always liked from my favorite vocalists. With that being said, (and probably not well) believe in yourself and always bear in mind that it makes no difference what you're singing, for every person that likes what you do, there is another right behind them that dislikes it. I'm rambling because I can empathize more than most. I think I've developed a style that is truly my own, and that's not to say everyone loves it, it's just to a level where I am happy with it now, and the bottom line is you can do that too! Just practice until you know all your boundaries and stay within them until it's safe to move on....hope this helps....and to quote Paul from 'Interpol'..."You can't be worried about what everyone's going to think if it's really coming from your soul."

KearyJoeCrisp
Check out our band..."The Name"

Check out our band The Name!

DrRoboto's picture
Toronto
Mar 2005
9 years ago

Originally posted by The Name
Dave,
I'll tell you what I know from personal experiences: The hardest hurdle I ever came upon was "letting go" in front of others. With me, it never seemed to matter if it was my girlfriend, a couple of friends I jammed with, or 20 strangers at an open mic...I couldn't do it. I don't know if that's a problem or not, but I think a lot of us have that problem. As far as vocal lessons are concerned, I'm glad I never took them....I've known people it benefitted it some ways, but they lost the character they once had in their voice. There are well-trained singers on 'American Idol', but what sets them apart from the rest of the pack? Only the strength of the push they get as far as I can tell. Pretty much I've stolen lots of the little elements I always liked from my favorite vocalists. With that being said, (and probably not well) believe in yourself and always bear in mind that it makes no difference what you're singing, for every person that likes what you do, there is another right behind them that dislikes it. I'm rambling because I can empathize more than most. I think I've developed a style that is truly my own, and that's not to say everyone loves it, it's just to a level where I am happy with it now, and the bottom line is you can do that too! Just practice until you know all your boundaries and stay within them until it's safe to move on....hope this helps....and to quote Paul from 'Interpol'..."You can't be worried about what everyone's going to think if it's really coming from your soul."

KearyJoeCrisp
yournewfavoriteband.com

THis is right on.

+1

@ The Horseshoe Tavern in Toronto - Friday August 19th @ 10:30pm
http://www.thepositions.ca
--------
Standard Telecaster and/or LG Signature through a Traynor YCV40 with SED 6L6 Tubes -- Marshall Shredmaster, Boss CS3, Ibanez DE7, Roland Volume

GDan's picture
London
Nov 2002
4 years ago

Originally posted by The Name
As far as vocal lessons are concerned, I'm glad I never took them....I've known people it benefitted it some ways, but they lost the character they once had in their voice.

I agree with most of what you say, , But I hate it when people say this.
Since when did learning a new skill push old knowlage out of your brain?

Its true that when you think of "Good singers" you tend to think of ones with unique qualities rather than the bland, stage school american idol types but only a bad teacher attempts to iron charicter out of your voice, and only a bland boring person aspires to make themselves sound bland and boring.
It may have been charming how I couldnt hold a note before taking lessons, but I would argue that my voice has MORE charicter since I got a basic grounding in what it was I am actually doing and the abilty to make a concious choice about what I want to sound like before I open my mouth. Learning and applying new knowlage is never a bad thing, And now I dont hurt after every session either.

Have had successful trades with:
Dunky_poos
No_happy

Blue_Collar_Man's picture
Home
Oct 2004
9 years ago

Thanks for all the replies guys.
I think im going to get some lessons or at least go buy a book, to get started.
I think like the name said, i have BIG trouble just letting go in front of people. I can play guitar in front of people no problem, im confident in my abilities there, but i was, and still am nervous about my singing. Which is just an ugly cycle that makes me worse, etc.... I'll just have to work on that.

I was just listening to "To record only water for 10 days" by John Frusciante, and i noticed that his voice was pretty bad. BUT, he sang with so much conviction and heart, that it worked. They vocals, music, and arrangments all worked together to create some really moving songs.

I geuss this isnt the end of the road to being a solo act after all... Thanks to everyone.

My 3 guitars. 3 tubes. 1 speaker. and a tuner. Pics of my stuff.

Successful trades with: Rushfanlv, Teleman

angry_nerd_rock's picture
SEATTLE
Oct 2004
10 years ago

good luck man.....i'm curiuse to hear your material

You kill the thoughts
If you kill the man
Only to find
His thoughts will rise again

RIG:
Fender Delux HH strat Guitar
Crate 20Watt
Fostex digital 8-track
Squire P-Series Bass

sharpie_2's picture
Bedford, England.
Jun 2005
10 years ago

I'm in the same boat and I am thinking of vocal lessons but I don't want to sound all operatic or anything. I think my range is pretty good but I just don't feel confident enough and I could do with someone teaching me how to do it a lot better.

If I was able to find a vocal teacher who would listen to some of my favourite vocalists and teach me how to sing in a similar vein then I'd definitely be happy.

Boss DD6
Boss DM2
Boss CE1
Digitech Whammy
Danelectro Tuna Melt Tremelo

iplayfenders14's picture
California
Jul 2005
10 years ago

No matter what your voice sounds like there will be some people who like it and some people who dont, that is what makes artists unique and great so dont take any bad responses to heart, its your music and your creating it and no one can make you change it

www.myspace.com/thestuffedplums

thats my band