82 posts / 0 new
Last post
n8wood's picture
Providence, RI
Jun 2004
9 years ago

This post is inspired from the "Greatest Songwriters" post as I was suprised how many people listed Cobain as one of the greatest songwriters. I'd like to expand upon this a bit more.

I'd like to hear from people who think he is one of the greats and their reasons why. I like Nirvana, but I do not feel the same way. Kurt's songs to me are simple which is not necessarily a bad thing, but would not qualify as being shining examples of groundbreaking or expert songwriting. I think some of the lyrics might mean something, but generally I'd say they are intentionally unintelligable; that way the songs are not ruined with terrible transparent lyrics.

Nirvana defintely impacted popular music in a huge way, but to me it was more through their attitude and back to basics approach which rock at that time really needed (we're about due for this type of impact again... I hope!). Is this what is influencing your opinion on Kurt being a great songwriter?

I'd like to discuss this because I respect alot of posters opinions in this forum, but I just can't understand it.

GDan's picture
London
Nov 2002
4 years ago

I dont think kurt was a great songwriter, guitarist or singer. But I like nirvana. I think people who say he was are just trying to justify why they like nirvana when really there is no good reason.

They were just GOOD. They shouldnt have been, but they were.

Have had successful trades with:
Dunky_poos
No_happy

sparkssc's picture
Atlanta
Jun 2004
5 months ago

Kurt was a hookmaster; he had pop melody cold. But his lyrics quite frequently are pure ass.

modestmousen's picture
3 day walk from st. louis
Aug 2003
5 years ago

His songs were all pretty straight forward. They are alright and I went through that phase, but I don't think he did anything revolutionary. Their were bands like dinosaur jr., sebadoh, etc..

He didn't single handedly forge the "alternative" rock genre he had a good yell and was signed to the right label at the right time to become huge.

My vote for best songwriter lyric wise would probably be roger waters.

Andrew
I intend to die in my sleep like my
grandpa, not like the screaming passengers that were in his car.

sabbath181's picture
Massachusettes
Aug 2003
10 years ago

i think kurt was a great songwriter...i htink most of it was the drugs and he wasnt the best but i dont think i coudl ever right things the way he did...he was a very simple kind of person and that came out in his songs he liked simple things that you could "wrap around" in a way...nirvana songs are the kind that get stuck in your head thats why hey became so popular i think

'90 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Modded Strat
Boss DS-1
Boss BF-3
Digitech Whammy 4
Dunlop DB-01 Wah
Marshall JCM 800 (2 channel version)

sabbath181's picture
Massachusettes
Aug 2003
10 years ago

i think kurt was a great songwriter...i htink most of it was the drugs and he wasnt the best but i dont think i coudl ever right things the way he did...he was a very simple kind of person and that came out in his songs he liked simple things that you could "wrap around" in a way...nirvana songs are the kind that get stuck in your head thats why they became so popular i think

'90 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Modded Strat
Boss DS-1
Boss BF-3
Digitech Whammy 4
Dunlop DB-01 Wah
Marshall JCM 800 (2 channel version)

Lindsi's picture
Mar 2004
11 years ago

Kurt Cobain was a great song writer. Guitarist....i wouldn't go that far, but his lyrics werent mindless. they had meaning which is why they're so popular, and maybe i'm just a really bad songwritter but he did a hella lot better then i could.

Lindsi

Furious_George's picture
hellaire, MI
Jan 2003
4 years ago

kurt was a talented songwriter...not revolutionary, but talented nonetheless. as a previous poster stated, his band came along at the right place/right time...he was lucky. any of his contemporaries could've taken that spot, IMO. but that doesn't diminish his songwriting...though not technically gifted, he could craft a snappy tune.

MOokie

Northside Kings are Un-De-Feated!

Paul_M's picture
irvine, ca
Jul 2003
7 years ago

Originally posted by modestmousen
His songs were all pretty straight forward. They are alright and I went through that phase, but I don't think he did anything revolutionary. Their were bands like dinosaur jr., sebadoh, etc..

He didn't single handedly forge the "alternative" rock genre he had a good yell and was signed to the right label at the right time to become huge.

My vote for best songwriter lyric wise would probably be roger waters.

agreed

insayne eyez

TomBert05's picture
MD
Jun 2003
10 years ago

great might be too good of a word for him he was an ok or a good song writer i guess i hate Nirvana but he was an ok writer. an example of a great song writer would be Pete Townshend

Although the Who in the early '70s were accused by many of sounding too much like Led Zeppelin, anyone with any sense knows that Townshend (even at his worst) could write, compose and perform circles around that glorified session cat Jimmy Page.

flipperbaby's picture
Burlington,Ontario,Canada
Jul 2003
4 years ago

ide say he was more than great towards the way his writing was heading, from in utero and the sessions done after his writing became musically and lyrically more complicated and well ptu together. he mastered the simplicity which brought out amazing music. its alot on how you(yourself) look at song writing and composition and what it takes for you to realise it is good.

i could definately see him getting into delay which i could imagine him being such an artist would use it in ways no one could think of.

he was an artist.

MY GEAR!
Member of The Onomatopoeias and The Charley Bronsons