16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lb5's picture
Nov 2010
4 years ago

Hi, I'm wondering if it's an ebow creating this long sustained notes. There was another track, called Sinfony, that's just guitar that I was looking for, for reference, but there doesn't seem to be a copy of it on youtube. From 3:10 onward the notes just hold and ring out till the end :cool:

Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins - Ascendo - YouTube

Concretebadger's picture
North Yorkshire, UK
Jan 2010
9 months ago

Most probably. Corgan's been known to use an E-bow on a number of songs, although he sometimes utilises feedback to get sustaining droney notes. The feedback technique often takes a lot of repeated takes to get the right tone and pitch though, so that's usually what he does in the studio. An E-bow gives more consistent results and easier to use, especially live.

The intermission bit of Soma allegedly uses multiple overdubs of E-bowed acoustic guitars!

That's a cool song though. I kinda wish he did that sort of experimental stuff more often.

Guitar rig: CIJ Fender Jazzmaster/CIJ Fender Mustang -> TU-3 -> RAT 2 -> M.A.S.F. Lavender Head -> RV-5 -> RE-20 -> PS-2 -> DD-3 -> EHX Cathedral -> Fender '65 DRRI & Matamp Mini

Bass rig: Fender MIM Jazz Bass -> TU-2 -> OD-3 -> custom IC Muff -> Sansamp BDDI -> RV-3

"...So now you know the true secret to great tone: all the espresso you can handle."

jonny-b-brown's picture
Nashville, TN
Feb 2008
3 years ago

In an interview he said "that noisy little thing on the beginning of Earphoria" was all Ebow. I guess he was refering to Sinfony. The track you linked to sounds like a combination of ebow'd guitars and feedback guitars, kind of different voices.

I'm just two people short of a threesome.

jonbye's picture
UK
Apr 2006
3 years ago

There's ebows all over SP stuff - check out Stand inside your love for a good example.

My Rig

"...We should be wasting that space with another discussion about something truly useful, like tits or religion or something......." - Fiveways

Lb5's picture
Nov 2010
4 years ago
Originally Posted by Concretebadger

That's a cool song though. I kinda wish he did that sort of experimental stuff more often.

That's for sure. Hopefully he gets his groove back where the great stuff just flows like it used to.

mmasonmusic's picture
Los Angeles, CA
Jan 2010
4 years ago

That track was actually on a cassette tape that came with my Ebow when I bought it. There were lessons on how to use it and then tracks by profeshionals, that was one of the tracks.

Jackfuzz's picture
PE, South Africa
Mar 2006
3 years ago

Slightly OT :

. . . has anyone ever tried an EHX FREEZE for sustained note holding ?

* Technophobia RAT review. * MATAMP * Jon Spencer Blues Explosion * The Cramps * Soledad Brothers * My MySpace *

* Gibson SG w. A2P's -->pedal board -->Bassman AB165 *

* Good deals w : Berarduur

Lb5's picture
Nov 2010
4 years ago
Originally Posted by mmasonmusic

That track was actually on a cassette tape that came with my Ebow when I bought it. There were lessons on how to use it and then tracks by profeshionals, that was one of the tracks.

Huh, that's cool. Wonder if he wrote it just for that, then.

sloppy_phil's picture
Toronto, Ontario
Aug 2008
4 years ago
Originally Posted by Jackfuzz

Slightly OT :

. . . has anyone ever tried an EHX FREEZE for sustained note holding ?

not to hi-jack with a long answer: yes. and it kills.

to OP, that does indeed sound like eBow to my ears. I think Mmason's story kinda seals it, though.

Jackfuzz's picture
PE, South Africa
Mar 2006
3 years ago
Originally Posted by sloppy_phil

hi jack, with a long answer: yes. and it kills.

Hi Phil - thanx !

I just ordered one, so it is good to know ;)

* Technophobia RAT review. * MATAMP * Jon Spencer Blues Explosion * The Cramps * Soledad Brothers * My MySpace *

* Gibson SG w. A2P's -->pedal board -->Bassman AB165 *

* Good deals w : Berarduur

jcoriha's picture
California
Dec 2002
4 years ago

That is EBow, but he also uses a Sustainer pickup a lot as well. Adore-era is more a mix of both depending on the part.

I begin to defend

favorite albums:
Gish/Siamese Dream/Pisces Isceriot/Mellon Collie/Aeroplane/Adore/Machina I/II/Judas O,AEnima,Mer de Noms/Thirteenth Step,Permenent Waves/A Farewell to Kings,Adam & Eve,OK Computer/The Bends,The Fragile,****agraphy, Thrak,Portishead,The Unforgettable Fire