7 posts / 0 new
Last post
treardet's picture
Springfield, MA
Sep 2004
3 years ago

For a friend:

I'm considering an electric down the road to play in this bossa nova / samba group we've put together. right now, i play a nylon stringed acoustic. i'm so used to the size of the neck that even a normal dreadnought neck feels extremely tiny, which worries me about an electric neck. ultimately, i'd love a semi-hollow body, but do you recommend any electrics that have a wider neck? i thought there were some fenders that maybe replicated the neck width of a normal dreadnought, but not sure. you're expertise is much needed!

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

I have had smooth gear transactions through this board with Users: Verve, and FakePlastic
www.myspace.com/sfawesomes

sloppy_phil's picture
Toronto, Ontario
Aug 2008
4 years ago

i belive PRS guitars have an option known as the wide-fat neck which is closer to that radius than most traditional electrics. just how close it is exactly, i couldn't say.

you could always look at outfitting your classical with a pickup, or buying a guitar which has one built in if you need to plug it in.

cosmiqphuz's picture
Lancaster, Pa
Dec 2008
1 year ago

I'd probably get a pickup to use with the guitar you already have. You're not gonna be able to replicate the sound of a nylon-string on an electric.

treardet's picture
Springfield, MA
Sep 2004
3 years ago

I don't think he wants to to replicate the nylon sound, it's more of a comfort/feel issue.

I have had smooth gear transactions through this board with Users: Verve, and FakePlastic
www.myspace.com/sfawesomes

cosmiqphuz's picture
Lancaster, Pa
Dec 2008
1 year ago
Originally Posted by treardet

I don't think he wants to to replicate the nylon sound, it's more of a comfort/feel issue.

Metal strings will feel different compared to nylons. More tension, thinner string width, more harmonics (Not necessarily bad. But when playing classical/bossa nova/samba, it could get messy).

The PRS wide-fat neck is bigger, but not that much bigger.

If you really want to go the electric guitar route, I have a feeling it might have to be a custom/mod kinda deal. To get close to the width of a classical guitar neck, maybe an 8-string (or even 9-string) guitar will have to be used. Then get someone to properly cut a nut for you, measured for 6 strings. The bridge will have to be custom made as well. Flatwound strings may work better for your kind of music.

olddawg's picture
Southern California & Hawaii usually, but I get around
Dec 2004
1 year ago

Look for a 12 string guitar and put 6 strings on it. If you can find an old strange Fender 12 string (a Coronado I think) or a Strat 12 string it might be more what you are looking for. There are also some very decent kit guitars out there if you are on a budget. Just get the 12 string version, drill the headstock for 6 tuners,and change the bridge.

Stage Guitars: '80s Thin line LP Custom, '70 LP Standard, '83 Squier Black Headstock Strat w/ Dan Torres pickups, '59 Black Danelectro DC, sometimes others.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A

cubby's picture
Over there...
Jan 2003
2 years ago

If you want super wide 1-7/8" then you can get a Warmoth that will fit a Fender:

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/Superwide_WarmothPro.aspx

Pics of my stuff are available here:

http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthrea...659#post581659

"I'm not usually a praying man but-Save me Superman!"

"I think I brained my damage."

"O.K. brain, I don't like you and you don't like me. Let's just get this over with and I'll go back to killing you with beer."