17 posts / 0 new
Last post
robomantik's picture
new brunswick, nj
Aug 2003
3 years ago

i had no clue how to say that in the title. so on the back of tele's, there's a little ring where the string goes through the body and one of mine fell out before i restrung my guitar last time and i had to hurry and restring it because i had a show to play. i found the ring, but left it at home and i'm at college. anyways, i'm restring my guitar now because i have a show saturday and tomorrow and friday i'll be doing 13 hours of driving. that string won't come out because the ball is all the way up the body and caught by the bridge. how in the heck do i get this out?!

New001's picture
Nov 2007
5 years ago

find a toothpick or something and shove it through the top of the hole. at least thats what id think first if it were me

For some people, music is a job...I guess that makes me a workaholic.

robomantik's picture
new brunswick, nj
Aug 2003
3 years ago

oh yeah, i did. i think a toothpick would break. i used a sewing needle that was 2"s long. it didn't work because there's about half an inch of thicker string and then the ball.

SunNovaGun's picture
Dec 2005
3 years ago

A small screwdriver or pin punch should do the trick. You could also straighten out a coat hanger, just use something sturdy that's a bit smaller than the hole.

'79 LP Custom Tobaccoburst, Hendrix Fuzz Wah, Ground Control Pro, Shure SLX, Korg DTR-1000, Mesa Triaxis, TC Electronics G-Major II, Mesa Stereo 2:Fifty

olddawg's picture
Southern California & Hawaii usually, but I get around
Dec 2004
1 year ago

Just use cut end of a heavy wound E string and push it through from the top side.

Stage Guitars: '80s Thin line LP Custom, '70 LP Standard, '83 Squier Black Headstock Strat w/ Dan Torres pickups, '59 Black Danelectro DC, sometimes others.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A

Vague's picture
I love that dirty water
Nov 2005
5 years ago

Originally posted by olddawg
Just use cut end of a heavy wound E string and push it through from the top side.

That's kind of funny. I've done this a couple times to get stubborn strings out, but I always thought I was being original. :D

Successful trades with DAVIDCOUPE
Successful purchases from Supergrunged, jm417

My rig - Updated 3/18/09

For sale/trade

The club

robomantik's picture
new brunswick, nj
Aug 2003
3 years ago

the e string didn't work. just wouldn't push it through and it bent. the straightened clothes hanger was good, but it was too fat to go in the whole.

New001's picture
Nov 2007
5 years ago

how about a safety pin?

though that may not work since the sewing needle didnt...

try unfolding a paper clip and use that, itd be much longer anyway

For some people, music is a job...I guess that makes me a workaholic.

BATCH's picture
Dallas, TX
Jan 2005
6 years ago

bass string?

Rig pics coming soon

GUITAR Solos by Me

My Pedalboard

robomantik's picture
new brunswick, nj
Aug 2003
3 years ago

i don't have a bass string. nor do i think it'd fit in the hole.

BATCH's picture
Dallas, TX
Jan 2005
6 years ago

well.. this happened to me the other day, with a Samick strat. I stuck a high e string (.10) through the back and looped it back through, trying to get on either side of the ball, and pull them out together. Am I making any sense? I don't know if the string will go through though. Will a .10 string go through the hole from the back to front?

Rig pics coming soon

GUITAR Solos by Me

My Pedalboard