8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Document_400's picture
United States
Nov 2011
3 years ago

Just curious.

Anyone here play a seven string or eight string guitar in a shoegaze/dream pop context? Or any artists that do?

I recently heard a Ringo Deathstarr song that sounded like it was tuned down to B or Bb. I'm sure they don't use seven/eight string guitars but the use of the low tuning in a shoegaze/dream pop context blew my socks off.

Document 400

It's red.

arnoldtheduck's picture
England.
Mar 2010
5 months ago

Funny you should mention that, last night at my band practice the guitarist brought his Schecter Omen-8 along and we did some dream-pop stuff. It's cool using alternative tunings on the 8-string, like tuning the top two strings together or something, and then drop the bottom two tuned together; we do this and some of the chord voicings are just amazing. Just as a reference point for low tuned guitars in music other than metal, check this out.

Rickenbacker 330/Fender Telecaster Contemporary > North Effects Llama> EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress > Boss DD-3 > EHX Cathedral > Selmer Treble 'n' Bass 50/Roland JC-77.

Document_400's picture
United States
Nov 2011
3 years ago

That's awesome, arnoldtheduck. Is that "Only Shallow" song in a lower tuning or does it just seem that way because of the slowed down tempo. I can't tell. It's still a very nice cover. The slower tempo and sludgier guitar totally work.

I love hearing about guitarists doing interesting things with alternate tunings or 7/8 string guitars.

I'm not knocking metal, because I listen to that too, but it's not too surprising to me to hear low tunings or 7/8 string guitars in metal, or other heavy music for that matter. But right now I'm a little more interested in alternate tunings and 7/8 string guitars outside of a metal context.

Thanks for sharing, arnoldtheduck.

Document 400

It's red.

lobsty's picture
between Berlin and Melbourne...
Nov 2003
3 years ago

Don't know of anyone doing but I think it could work beautifully. Let's face it, there's a lot of Fender VI and baritone guitars in swirly music... why not 7 o r 8 stringers? Of course the indie shoegaze crowd will hate you for not using a jag/jm/gretsch but all the more reason - haha!

Crustaceo ergo sum

Document_400's picture
United States
Nov 2011
3 years ago
Originally Posted by lobsty

Don't know of anyone doing but I think it could work beautifully. Let's face it, there's a lot of Fender VI and baritone guitars in swirly music... why not 7 o r 8 stringers? Of course the indie shoegaze crowd will hate you for not using a jag/jm/gretsch but all the more reason - haha!

Well, I have a small confession. I have playing seven string for 13 years. About 98% of my music is written on a seven string. I've written my share of metal (as my roots are indeed in thrash metal, actually) but right now I write shoegaze.

The low tuning (I tune a half-step down to Bb) is a huge part of my sound. I don't rely on the low tuning, though. I have written many songs where I don't even touch the seventh string at all.

But in general, it's a huge part of my current shoegazing activities. :) I just wanted to check out others who do the same thing or do something similar.

It's red.

lobsty's picture
between Berlin and Melbourne...
Nov 2003
3 years ago

Good to see!

Crustaceo ergo sum

fullmetalfunk's picture
US
Jun 2009
3 years ago

I love it when an artist utilizes a piece of gear or certain guitar or tuning that is usually not standard in that genre or style. Low tunings in particular interest me. I love how much the timbre and characteristic of a piece of music change just by transposing it down to a lower key.

Document_400's picture
United States
Nov 2011
3 years ago
Originally Posted by fullmetalfunk

I love it when an artist utilizes a piece of gear or certain guitar or tuning that is usually not standard in that genre or style. Low tunings in particular interest me. I love how much the timbre and characteristic of a piece of music change just by transposing it down to a lower key.

On the subject, a friend of mine, who always seems to find out about new bands before anyone else I know, just recommended this band to me.

https://www.facebook.com/LeRecourderLarouge

Same friend says they probably use seven strings or downtune. I must say, the fuzz is pretty ridiculous on the first track.

Document 400

It's red.