20 posts / 0 new
Last post
boyecho's picture
gainesville, florida
Dec 2002
6 years ago

Hey all. I just got my brand new japan Mosrite Mark I delivered today. First of all...

new pictures 09/05/06! click here.

It's the vibramute tailpeice "Super Excellent '65" model. The neck is finished all around to match the body. The pickups are close to original Mosrite pickups while being somewhat akin to a jaguar. The finish is beautiful, the neck binding is fantastic, and the weight is balanced nicely. a tad neck heavy.

The electronics are eh. The volume pot drops the volume off all the way within half a turn, so i'll look into replacing it. The pickup switch feels rather cheap too, so i'll be changing that out along with the crappy kluson copy tuners.

My only real issue with the guitar is while it lacks a proper setup, after doing a super deep bend on the vibrato the guitar doesn't return immediately to pitch, i have to do a quick yank up on the bar and it resets itself perfectly in tune. A setup and possibly a stronger spring should fix this.

The tones are really nice. It's the perfect middle ground between my slightly hot and twangy strat and my much more mellow and 'round' mosrite hollowbody. I'll get some proper pictures of everything soon as well as some soundclips later on.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. i've waited something like 5 or 6 years to own a ventures style mosrite. I'm pretty much done with buying gear until i get in a proper band, and the need for something different arises.

BobaFrett's picture
Feb 2006
7 years ago

*splurrsssshhhhhuuuurrrrgllllleeeeeevveeeeeiiiiissssstttttt*

that was the sound of my creaming in my pants after seeing that guitar.

Fender Jazzmaster
77' Musicman HD130 2x12
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Emma ReezaFRATzitz
Digitech WH4 Whammy
Ibanez FP-777 Flying Pan
Digitech PDS1002
Boss TU-2
dunlop tortex picks knifed up for grip//dunlop thumb picks//brass guitar picks// dunlop glass slides//adam&eve bullet style vibrators//ebow//violin bows//my bong//beer bottles(full)//1980's era magnavox t.v. remotes//black and decker portable drill//toy rayguns

buddhaguitarist's picture
Sydney
Mar 2004
3 months ago

Sweet action, man. How does the neck feel to you? I've played a few Mosrites (never had the money at the right time though...) and have experienced a couple of really different neck profiles. Is the painted neck sticky at all?

SG => Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz Wah => Orange RK30

boyecho's picture
gainesville, florida
Dec 2002
6 years ago

Originally posted by buddhaguitarist
Sweet action, man. How does the neck feel to you? I've played a few Mosrites (never had the money at the right time though...) and have experienced a couple of really different neck profiles. Is the painted neck sticky at all?

of the two mosrites i have, the new one has a thinner smaller neck than the original 67 hollowbody.

i was very worried about the 'sticky neck' problem with finished necks, but i manage it on my other mosrite. this new one seems to be much smoother. but the true test will be gigging a sweaty club with it. i've had no issues so far, i'm rather surprised.

the frets are a little taller and rounder than my old mosrite, and the radius feels flatter. the action is super low. it needs a setup, i have buzz here and there.

oh, and boba frett.. thanks for the.. erm.. descriptive comment! ;)

guitargeek_2's picture
guitargeek compound
Dec 1995
1 year ago

the ultimate spacey desing... stunning guitar... saw the ventures once and have loved mosrites since.

www.guitargeek.com
the guitar rig database
official guitargeek merchandise
-----------------------------------
bands
alison's halo | geek'd rig
lochheed | geek'd rig
insta
-----------------------------------
jetpackmods xp pedal conversions -
xp-1000 mod - This modification enables any xp pedal to switch between all four xp modules. This means you will have the xp-100 whammy, xp-200 modulator, xp-300 space station and xp-400 reverberator all in ONE pedal! pre-modded xp1000s also available: pm me for pricing & availability

idiot_glee's picture
Earth?
Apr 2005
8 years ago

*uck you man!

I mean...

Lucky man, you! :p

Mayhaps it's coincidence I was listening to The Ventures when I found this? (Just got the CD to boot)

How much? Where?
Are there any left?
Can I have yours?*
What amp you pumping it thru?
What about some samples man?

*not at all serious but it never hurts to ask

Remember, reverb is magic.

Red Fender MIM Stratocaster (now with Lace Sensors) > Dunlop Crybaby > Danelectro DanEcho > Roland MicroCube

boyecho's picture
gainesville, florida
Dec 2002
6 years ago

how much- quite a bit for my tastes [i like the cheap stuff]
where- an outside sale off the radar
availability- maybe, but if you're serious, PM me and i'll help you.
can you have mine- heck no.
amps- there is another thread here pretty much describing the rest of my junk.
samples- sure. i plan on giving it a go someday soon. my only problem is i lack any sort of recording setup other than my laptop mic.

i really appreciate the comments. and thanks for the thumbs up, guitargeek! the guitar is like a liquidy quasar glowing in the corner of my room.

Talent?!'s picture
Merseyside, U.K.
Aug 2003
2 years ago

That's a beaut, I've got a soft spot for Mosrites.

You're a lucky guy. :)

-You are now breathing manually.
Gear

Quote:

Originally posted by thelabia {regarding glow in the dark furbies}
WOW!!! That'd rock!
Or you could give them spandex and facepaint and use the enclosure to hold Illegal furbie cage matches...
Theres never a dull moment with an empty krank head...

Quote:

Originally posted by Motorhead
If crack made a noise then the X2N would make the same noise.

idiot_glee's picture
Earth?
Apr 2005
8 years ago

Originally posted by boyecho
how much- quite a bit for my tastes [i like the cheap stuff]

Looking at the rest of your stuff, and how much you spent on your stuff, and you saying that it was "quite a bit for your tastes" I think I'll go (err) Mosrite-less (yeah that's it) for years to come...

Oh well! *runs off to the Eastwood Guitars website to ogle their stuff*

Still nice stuff, congrats!

Remember, reverb is magic.

Red Fender MIM Stratocaster (now with Lace Sensors) > Dunlop Crybaby > Danelectro DanEcho > Roland MicroCube

boyecho's picture
gainesville, florida
Dec 2002
6 years ago

Originally posted by idiot glee
Looking at the rest of your stuff, and how much you spent on your stuff, and you saying that it was "quite a bit for your tastes" I think I'll go (err) Mosrite-less (yeah that's it) for years to come...

Oh well! *runs off to the Eastwood Guitars website to ogle their stuff*

Still nice stuff, congrats!

well. the new mosrite is the most expensive thing i own. you could get an american fender for what i paid. but, i prefer this to most american fenders, as i think my strat is about all the strat i need. yet it wasn't more than a jazzmaster.

as for the rest of my stuff. i got decent deals on much of it. especially the v4 halfstack. that was a total of around 375 dollars. the only item i spent over 400 on was my mosrite hollowbody. that was 425, if i remember correctly. now they're going for nearly double on ebay.

teleman_2's picture
The land of Peace, Love, Justice and No Mercy
Mar 2003
3 years ago

nice!

Quote:

Originally posted by teleman
Bo Diddley is the baddest cat there ever was, and ever will be.

see my sale/trade thread