7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bluezmusic's picture
Dec 2016
5 days ago

I have a Guitar kit stratocaster that i  am trying to beef up and i was wondering what where the highest output passive single coil pickups i could get. Would something like hot rails be the way to go?

keksdose's picture
northern krautland
Nov 2006
Today

hot rails are only single coil sized. they're humbuckers, but yes they've got lots of output. I've got them in a tele and I really like them. Decent choice for loud badass rock n roll ;-) If your looking for a true single coil seymour duncan quarter pounds might be something to have a closer look at.

Bluezmusic's picture
Dec 2016
5 days ago

I really want a hot bridge pick up the middle and bass can be more bluesy srv sounding.

keksdose's picture
northern krautland
Nov 2006
Today

The tone samples on the seymour duncan page are really well made you might want to check them. The JB for strat model (also a single coil sized humbucker) has got quite a lot of output as well but a completely different voicing.

G_Point's picture
Nov 2015
13 hours ago

There is no any need in stronger as 10-12k pickups. Especially in the case of "single coils". You have the Gain knob on your amp and/or effect pedal to increase signal level. 5-9k is optimum, others are just the business... By my opinion far the best Strat (not only) pickups are Kinman made noiseless products. There is a wide enough assortment to choose subjectively the best tone for you. However - you can use pickup serial connection to get stronger output and richer tone.

Bluezmusic's picture
Dec 2016
5 days ago

I like the ducans i play with pretty low gain i just want something that screams.

G_Point's picture
Nov 2015
13 hours ago

The SERIAL connection of single-coil pickups provides strong, fat, like humbucker sound (it is hum-bucker this case). Even more - it is richer sounding because coils are distanced and the signal sum is more complex in comparing with std humbucker, and it is a little bit different sounding (more details) because of magnetic poles/rods (not magnetic blade under coils in std humbucker). The only what is important is a combination of "reversed" pickups (reversed magnetic and windings polarity - like Strat Mid pickup in combination with Neck or Bridge, or Tele pickups) - to be "hum-less" (remaining noise level depends on the quality of shielding). Polarity is not important if you are combining hum-less (stacker) pickups (like Kinman, some Fender, and some others). But if you are just looking for SRV sound - Kinman SRV set is fantastic for it, just remember what the string sets and tuning SRV was using :).