10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jackfuzz's picture
PE, South Africa
Mar 2006
2 years ago

Dear friends and fellow geeks . . .

. . . here is a money question !

I have this Ibanez Artcore full-hollow, and want to put some SD Phat Cats on it :cool:.

BUT, on the other hand, i have seriousy GAS for this entry-level Gretsch !!!

Big price differance, i know.
Does anyone know how the two tones will/can differ ?
The standard Gretch vs. Artcore with Phatcats.

* Music = Rockabilly, but more Sphycobilly - think Reverend Horton Heat.

Comments very welcome !

Thanx to all . . .

CHEERs
;)

Jackfuzz's picture

Artcore vs. Electromatic tone ?

Ibanez Artcore w. Phat Cats
20% (2 votes)
Gretsch Electromatic (standard)
70% (7 votes)
Two very diff. tones, get Phat Cats & Gretsch
10% (1 vote)
Total votes: 10

* Technophobia RAT review. * MATAMP * Jon Spencer Blues Explosion * The Cramps * Soledad Brothers * My MySpace *

* Gibson SG w. A2P's -->pedal board -->Bassman AB165 *

* Good deals w : Berarduur

Jackfuzz's picture
PE, South Africa
Mar 2006
2 years ago

. . . any comments ?

CHEERs
;)

* Technophobia RAT review. * MATAMP * Jon Spencer Blues Explosion * The Cramps * Soledad Brothers * My MySpace *

ben_murphy's picture
Sep 2004
5 years ago

in my (admittedly limited) experience with those two types of guitars the artcores definitely seem to me to be a much more sturdy, well built guitar. but that being said, the grersch looks waaaaay cooler!

acoustic_frippy's picture
Map Ref 41N 93W
Sep 2005
6 years ago

If you put SD Phat Cats in the Ibanez it'll sound more like an ES-175/295 than anything else. It won't sound like a hollow-body Gretsch with DeArmonds. For psychobilly, though, the Ibanez with Phat Cats should be fine. I'd add a Bigsby B-3 or B-30, though.

FWIW the Gretsch Electromatic hollow-bodies are very hit 'n miss IMO. Definately a play before you buy guitar. You already have the Artcore, though, so you know what a good/great guitar it is.

Double Helix

Quote:

Originally posted by teleman
*waiting for frippy to find this thread*

nastynate's picture
California
Jul 2005
6 years ago

Those Gretsch's are really nice. I've played 3 of them at the local guitar center, and have loved everyone. I now wish I had bought the red one they had there. (Man, that is at least the 10th guitar I almost bought, but didn't, and now regret it.)

Zeppelanoid's picture
Montreal, Canada
Feb 2006
4 years ago

I think you can't go wrong either way.

lp_man's picture
UK
Nov 2004
6 years ago

I'd try the pickup swap first. The Ibanez is supposed to be a well made guitar and if it plays well then you may as well make it sound better too :D

boyecho's picture
gainesville, florida
Dec 2002
6 years ago

the artcores are scores cheaper. and even with a pickup swap it'd still be cheaper. they're also very solid guitars.

that said, i prefer the gretsch electromatic in sound. those dearmond pickups are really good.

Jackfuzz's picture
PE, South Africa
Mar 2006
2 years ago

Can any one tell me what those Gretsch pu's sound like.

Clean and highly overdriven . . .

CHEERs
;)

acoustic_frippy's picture
Map Ref 41N 93W
Sep 2005
6 years ago

If you want a hollowbody that has that classic Gretsch sound then you will want TV Jones' TV'Tron pickups. Drop some TV'Trons, put a Bigsby on it, and your Ibanez will be a great guitar for what you want.

http://www.tvjones.com/pickups.htm

FWIW I would go the Ibanez (w/TV'Trons and Bigsby) route if I was looking for that classic Gretsch sound but wasn't going to spend the money for either a vintage or MIJ reissue Gretsch.

Double Helix

Quote:

Originally posted by teleman
*waiting for frippy to find this thread*