10 posts / 0 new
Last post
NoFroBro's picture
Australia
Jan 2004
3 weeks ago

Don't know who else gets the Gibson e-letter. It is usually full of Gibson biased stuff but has the occassional interesting article. This isn't one :)

Gibson Tone Tips: Bridges

My Gear , please wack with the side of your hand for normal service.
Bringing you EVIL VOODOO WAX MAGIC since 2009

olddawg's picture
Southern California & Hawaii usually, but I get around
Dec 2004
1 year ago
Originally Posted by NoFroBro

Don't know who else gets the Gibson e-letter. It is usually full of Gibson biased stuff but has the occassional interesting article. This isn't one :)

Gibson Tone Tips: Bridges

I always have to snicker at the terms that are use in articles like this. Ok... We all know what intonation accuracy is. But what the he'll is tonal depth? lower resonance? Flatter frequency response? There are even more vague terms used. I guess it's the nature of the beast.

Stage Guitars: '80s Thin line LP Custom, '70 LP Standard, '83 Squier Black Headstock Strat w/ Dan Torres pickups, '59 Black Danelectro DC, sometimes others.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A

Concretebadger's picture
North Yorkshire, UK
Jan 2010
8 months ago

Reminds me of the old joke "what's 'zing?" "what you do with a 'zong'."

I'm sure it's the opposite of what the article intends, but it reminds me that sometimes the 'difference' we think we can clearly hear is in fact all in our heads!

Guitar rig: CIJ Fender Jazzmaster/CIJ Fender Mustang -> TU-3 -> RAT 2 -> M.A.S.F. Lavender Head -> RV-5 -> RE-20 -> PS-2 -> DD-3 -> EHX Cathedral -> Fender '65 DRRI & Matamp Mini

Bass rig: Fender MIM Jazz Bass -> TU-2 -> OD-3 -> custom IC Muff -> Sansamp BDDI -> RV-3

"...So now you know the true secret to great tone: all the espresso you can handle."

NoFroBro's picture
Australia
Jan 2004
3 weeks ago
Originally Posted by olddawg

I always have to snicker at the terms that are use in articles like this. Ok... We all know what intonation accuracy is. But what the he'll is tonal depth? lower resonance? Flatter frequency response? There are even more vague terms used. I guess it's the nature of the beast.

Depth of tone man is about how deep your tone is dude like you don't want people to say you have shallow tone do you!?

Supergrunged's picture
Saco, ME
Feb 2005
6 months ago

Gibson is one to speak about tone, considering I own one, and I will never play another Gibson stock. The bridge they use is mid level, went with a Tone Pros locking bridge, and a graphite nut, and haven't looked back since....

Gibson Les Paul Standard that's been to hell and back with me, Charvel Model 6 modded to a 5FX, tortex wedge picks, Maxon OD-9, 80's Ibanez AD-9, Mesa Stuido .22 probably other stuff off my shelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny-b-brown
strats. It's like their own form of puberty.

olddawg's picture
Dec 2004
1 year ago
Originally Posted by Supergrunged

Gibson is one to speak about tone, considering I own one, and I will never play another Gibson stock. The bridge they use is mid level, went with a Tone Pros locking bridge, and a graphite nut, and haven't looked back since....

Truthfully I haven't had a problem with my Gibsons. All but one of my LPs is dead stock, but the newest one is 30 years old. I put a Badass on my old SG. The wierd LPish one with the Moog board has microtuners, but I think they're stock. I've played plenty upgraded/modded Gibsons. Most of the time such stuff is application specific and very subjective IMHO. And there are more than a few lemons out there. Luckily my guitars usually find me rather than the other way around. I'm playing Strats mostly nowadays anyway.

Stage Guitars: '80s Thin line LP Custom, '70 LP Standard, '83 Squier Black Headstock Strat w/ Dan Torres pickups, '59 Black Danelectro DC, sometimes others.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A

lobsty's picture
between Berlin and Melbourne...
Nov 2003
3 years ago

It reminds me of a few years ago when Epiphone were doing all these adds about why Gibson-style guitars are "better" than the Fender-style guitars and had all of these diagrams about headstock angles and stuff about set necks as opposed to bolt-ons... and then a little while later Epiphone brought out these Strat ripoffs... hilarious!

Crustaceo ergo sum

Supergrunged's picture
Saco, ME
Feb 2005
6 months ago
Originally Posted by olddawg

Truthfully I haven't had a problem with my Gibsons. All but one of my LPs is dead stock, but the newest one is 30 years old. I put a Badass on my old SG. The wierd LPish one with the Moog board has microtuners, but I think they're stock. I've played plenty upgraded/modded Gibsons. Most of the time such stuff is application specific and very subjective IMHO. And there are more than a few lemons out there. Luckily my guitars usually find me rather than the other way around. I'm playing Strats mostly nowadays anyway.

Some of us are lucky ;) If I could afford an older Gibson, I'd go for it, because I'll agree, those older ones, something more solid about them. I still wish I could pick up an older Les Paul Custom, something about them seems solid, but I always seem to mod my guitars to my applications. To each their own though, I'm glad to hear a good story on them! :)

Gibson Les Paul Standard that's been to hell and back with me, Charvel Model 6 modded to a 5FX, tortex wedge picks, Maxon OD-9, 80's Ibanez AD-9, Mesa Stuido .22 probably other stuff off my shelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny-b-brown
strats. It's like their own form of puberty.

NoFroBro's picture
Australia
Jan 2004
3 weeks ago

None of my guitars were "vintage" when I bought them (ditto some of my pedals) :(

olddawg's picture
Dec 2004
1 year ago
Originally Posted by NoFroBro

None of my guitars were "vintage" when I bought them (ditto some of my pedals) :(

Yeah...I remember when we used old guitars because they were less expensive, like used cars. I remember buying a mint 69 Goldtop w/ case for $300 in 1980. Before that I bought a Dan Armstrong clear for $175. I still have a 1959 Danelectro DC that I paid $80 for. My LP Custom was $200. Lots of rare and great stuff passed through my hands. My really good gear was stolen and I'm sure sold for nothing. Somewhen
in the mid 80s old stuff became vintage.