45 posts / 0 new
Last post
Flash1087's picture
Michigan
Mar 2003
6 years ago

I'm just curious to see if anyone here has Lace Sensors and likes them. I remember being fascinated by them when they first came out but haven't thought about them for years.

Anyone here use them? If so...thoughts?

Ibanez Artcore AS78/Fender Cyclone (w/DiMarzio Norton bridge pickup)

ProCo RAT 2

Laney Pro Tube Lead 50 head w/ Peavey 5150 4x12

jhonendarc's picture
On tour!
Nov 2007
8 years ago

Depends on the sound you're looking for. I personally love the Lace Sensor Red in the bridge position of a Strat. It's a very quiet, neutral-sounding pickup that can handle tons of gain and still retain clarity (this is what Billy Corgan used for years to blast through walls of vintage fuzzboxes).

However, your statement is a bit generalized as Lace Sensor has many models to choose from, all of which sound VERY different (I tried a Lace Sensor Gold once and absolutely HATED it). What exactly are you going for?

Guitars
1998 PRS McCarty - Mid-90's Hamer Studio - 1995 Fender '57 Reissue Strat w/ Lace Sensor Red and Texas Specials - 1970's handmade mongrel

Pedals
Dunlop Wah > Fender Tuner > Zoom Volume Pedal > LocoBox Phaser > Danelectro Dan-Echo > A/B Switch

Amps
Mesa/Boogie F-50 Head > 4x12 - Vox AC-15

blackjack_davey's picture
Motor City, USA
Mar 2004
7 years ago

I have my Strat set-up with a Red/Silver/Blue set and love 'em. They are very clear, noiseless, and have tons of gain and tone options available.

They also have a hint of humbucker to them (i.e. they can get darker than your usual single-coils)

My Current Rig:

Fender Stratocaster (Red/Silver/Blue Lace Sensors)
Fuzz Factory 8^) --> '89 Turbo Rat --> BOSS DD-7 --> BOSS DD-3
Fender Blues, Junior

New001's picture
Nov 2007
5 years ago

i've also been hounding numerous websites (including here) for reviews on lace sensors. i just ordered 2 gold's for my strat neck and middle. there are mixed reviews on these, but the positive things i read sell them good, and also Clapton, one of my big influences, loves the golds. he used them practically exclusively on the 24 nights tour, and also a good deal thereafter. of course, his guitar has a TBX circuit and mid boost to enhance things a bit, but im hoping to make similar effects if need be w/ my eq pedal. i play classic rock and blues mainly and like clean vintage tones teamed with good sustain and wanted to brighten up the darkness of my stock squier pups. so far it seems these should do the job. my only regret is not being able to try em out cuz you cant really find a guitar anywhere equipped w/ them on, but thats the case with many replacement pups, it sucks. ive looked at several others such as the dimarzio area '58 which seems very nice for my taste but the sound clips on the website sound like they have more going on than just straight guitar to amp combo. one clip is using delay and ****, so its condescending. i dont know its so hard to find the "right" pup.

wow so i didnt intend to write this much, i guess i relate to this situation. anyhow, hopefully my order will arrive soon. i'll try em out and give you my opinion when i can. im praying that i made a good choice with these

damn if i had any power over this, id find a way to make it possible for guitarists to test drive different pickups. i cant stand this.

For some people, music is a job...I guess that makes me a workaholic.

Flash1087's picture
Michigan
Mar 2003
6 years ago

Originally posted by jhonendarc
Depends on the sound you're looking for. I personally love the Lace Sensor Red in the bridge position of a Strat. It's a very quiet, neutral-sounding pickup that can handle tons of gain and still retain clarity (this is what Billy Corgan used for years to blast through walls of vintage fuzzboxes).

However, your statement is a bit generalized as Lace Sensor has many models to choose from, all of which sound VERY different (I tried a Lace Sensor Gold once and absolutely HATED it). What exactly are you going for?

Fair enough, I had forgotten how many Lace Sensors were out there. I just wantd to hear if anyone had tried any of the colors, period.

I found out about Corgan's use of the Red one, which is what inspired me to try to dig up more dirt about them. I recently remembered how much I love the Smashing Pumpkins, and even though I know you should never copy someone else's sound..."Today" has the coolest distorted tone ever, if you ask me, and I was curious how to get it.

Of course, it's all sort of moot given I don't own a guitar that could feasably accept a Red; my Cyclone has a single-coil neck pickup but a Red would be TERRIBLE there and I don't use it enough to replace the neck pickup. But I've read a lot of good reviews, and aren't the Lace Sensors available in humbucker size, too?

Ibanez Artcore AS78/Fender Cyclone (w/DiMarzio Norton bridge pickup)

ProCo RAT 2

Laney Pro Tube Lead 50 head w/ Peavey 5150 4x12

adrien's picture
Paris, France
Apr 2003
4 years ago

Has anyone tried the newer models, like the chrome domes and holy grails? It seems Lace is a bit out of fashion now.

From time to time I send Dwight faxes. From himself. From the future.

jhonendarc's picture
On tour!
Nov 2007
8 years ago

Originally posted by Flash1087
Fair enough, I had forgotten how many Lace Sensors were out there. I just wantd to hear if anyone had tried any of the colors, period.

I found out about Corgan's use of the Red one, which is what inspired me to try to dig up more dirt about them. I recently remembered how much I love the Smashing Pumpkins, and even though I know you should never copy someone else's sound..."Today" has the coolest distorted tone ever, if you ask me, and I was curious how to get it.

Of course, it's all sort of moot given I don't own a guitar that could feasably accept a Red; my Cyclone has a single-coil neck pickup but a Red would be TERRIBLE there and I don't use it enough to replace the neck pickup. But I've read a lot of good reviews, and aren't the Lace Sensors available in humbucker size, too?

Yeah, they're available in humbucker sizes as well; they're called "duallys". Johnny Greenwood is probably the most notable user of a Lace Sensor Red Dually...they were stock in the Telecaster Plus in the early 90s. The duallys are basically just two single Lace Sensors wired together, and they come in many different combinations. You can check 'em out at http://www.agi-lace.com/electric_pickups/dually_series/dually_specs.php

As far as getting that Siamese Dream-era Pumpkins tone...you've got quite a mission ahead of you. First of all, you can't expect to get the tone he had on the records with any guitar setup, since each track had tons of overdubs. I'd recommend listening to the Vieuphoria/Earphoria stuff and trying to mimic that (which I believe is more Marshall JMP-1 than fuzzbox).

There's a guy on here called spguitar who gets pretty damn close with his JMP-1 setup, and he knows an absolute crapload about Billy's tone and gear. You may want to drop him a line.

Guitars
1998 PRS McCarty - Mid-90's Hamer Studio - 1995 Fender '57 Reissue Strat w/ Lace Sensor Red and Texas Specials - 1970's handmade mongrel

Pedals
Dunlop Wah > Fender Tuner > Zoom Volume Pedal > LocoBox Phaser > Danelectro Dan-Echo > A/B Switch

Amps
Mesa/Boogie F-50 Head > 4x12 - Vox AC-15

Johnny_the_Boy's picture
Calgary, Alberta
Jun 2007
7 years ago

Originally posted by adrien
Has anyone tried the newer models, like the chrome domes and holy grails? It seems Lace is a bit out of fashion now.

I've been curious about the Holy Grails for a while now. Reviews seem to be mixed, and most positive reviews are based on the presence of a TBX tone control. Also, people on the internet seem to write reviews the day they get things. It's nice to know that you like things now, but first impressions are only so helpful.

EDIT: In hindsight, what I wrote before was way too rough because apparently, and this is news to me, not everyone on the internet is obsessed with having passable grammar. It's just me.

She said, 'I want you.' I said, 'Finish your thought.'
Gear
Music

Fendarchy's picture
Los Angeles California
Apr 2007
5 years ago

i own about every combination of lace sensors and to me they are the perfect pickup. its the only pickup i can do everything with. the golds arent good for much but once in a while you get a good clean straty sound. i couldnt live without a red in the bridge. PERIOD. then a silver in the middle and in the neck. blue is even better in the neck. my fav. guitar has all reds and its nutz

oroblanco's picture
Dec 2006
5 years ago

Originally posted by Fendarchy
i own about every combination of lace sensors and to me they are the perfect pickup. its the only pickup i can do everything with. the golds arent good for much but once in a while you get a good clean straty sound. i couldnt live without a red in the bridge. PERIOD. then a silver in the middle and in the neck. blue is even better in the neck. my fav. guitar has all reds and its nutz

That's fine, but Johnny the Boy just doesn't want to know about it. Frankly, you're dead to him.

Flash1087's picture
Michigan
Mar 2003
6 years ago

So I'd be able to use a Red/Blue in a humbucker-equipped guitar, right? That thing sounds promising, but I'm worried about clean tone, being in a ska band and what have you (I HEAR YOU LAUGHING). Any opinions?

Ibanez Artcore AS78/Fender Cyclone (w/DiMarzio Norton bridge pickup)

ProCo RAT 2

Laney Pro Tube Lead 50 head w/ Peavey 5150 4x12