14 posts / 0 new
Last post
ridethefader's picture
phoeniz,az
Feb 2011
4 years ago

I just picked a japanese jaguar. ive only had it a couple hours and i love everything about it except the bridge. Im sure this is much documented, but strings move on the "grooves" of the saddle. also if i ever wanted to do any kind of palm mutes it feels weird to rest my palm on the bridge. I understand that its common to place a mustang bridge on a jaguar which alleviates the string issue. does it help with the palm muting? am I just as good getting a buzz stop? thanks in advance for any future advice.

fender jaguar cij

vox ac30cc2 - voxac4

fender volume > boss tu2 >mi audio crunch box > boss dm2 > hardwire rv7 > pigtronix echolution > boss rv3 > line 6 verbzilla > ehx holy stain . danelectro cool cat > line 6 dl4

jonbye's picture
UK
Apr 2006
3 years ago

Classic jag problem. 4 classic options (increasing in cost) -

1) increase string gauge and file saddles to increase depth
2) swap bridge for mustang bridge (readily available online)
3) buzz stop - loved by many but looks like arse
4) mastery bridge - pricey but designed to do the job

Also Google 'offset guitars' then take a look at the forum on that site for more hints and tips. They live and breathe these problems

My Rig

"...We should be wasting that space with another discussion about something truly useful, like tits or religion or something......." - Fiveways

Uome's picture
The Netherlands
Aug 2004
11 months ago

This may solve the problem too but is made for the same radius:

SCHALLER STMC STEG - Thomann Nederlandse Cyberstore

I reject reality and substitute my own

DRAGLiNE's picture
Glasgow, Scotland
Apr 2006
4 years ago

I have a Japanese Jazzmaster which suffered the same problem. I just replaced the saddles with those from a Fender Mustang - problem solved. No buzz, no slipping, and it holds tune better than any guitar I've ever owned.

By far the easiest and cheapest solution to this problem.

Guitar > Pedals > Amplification

ridethefader's picture
phoeniz,az
Feb 2011
4 years ago

hey thanks for the tips guys. I happen to play a friends jazzmaster tonight that had the mustang bridge. wasnt an issue with that guitar. I think i may go that way. what a funny bridge btw

fender jaguar cij

vox ac30cc2 - voxac4

fender volume > boss tu2 >mi audio crunch box > boss dm2 > hardwire rv7 > pigtronix echolution > boss rv3 > line 6 verbzilla > ehx holy stain . danelectro cool cat > line 6 dl4

lobsty's picture
between Berlin and Melbourne...
Nov 2003
3 years ago

Mustang bridge is a good tried and true option - I would have done that if I had kept my Jag.

A friend of mine had a mustang bridge on his Jazzmaster but recently replaced it with a Mastery bridge and he swears by it. He was trying to get me to replace the bridge on my vintage Mustang with a Mastery bridge - I laughed heartily at the suggestion ;)

Crustaceo ergo sum

arnoldtheduck's picture
England.
Mar 2010
6 months ago

I used a Buzz Stop on my Jaguar for quite a while, but I got fed up of not being able to do all that 'behind-the-bridge' trickery, so I took it off. All I can say is that if sustain is an issue for you, the Buzz Stop will certainly fix that. I haven't had any major problems with my Jaguar since taking the Buzz Stop off, but that may be because mine is a Made in Mexico, and they claim they've fixed the buzzing issues (not entirely true). If it were me and I could be bothered, I'd go for the Mustang bridge.

Rickenbacker 330/Fender Telecaster Contemporary > North Effects Llama> EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress > Boss DD-3 > EHX Cathedral > Selmer Treble 'n' Bass 50/Roland JC-77.

jonbye's picture
UK
Apr 2006
3 years ago

Yeah they moved the trem unit forward on the mexican jags and jazzs to increase the angle going over the bridge, supposedly solving the problem. Having played jap and mex it has made a reasonable difference but curtailed some of the behind the bridge fun that some people buy them for

My Rig

"...We should be wasting that space with another discussion about something truly useful, like tits or religion or something......." - Fiveways

Robotron2084's picture
Jul 2009
3 years ago
Originally Posted by ridethefader

I just picked a japanese jaguar. ive only had it a couple hours and i love everything about it except the bridge. Im sure this is much documented, but strings move on the "grooves" of the saddle. also if i ever wanted to do any kind of palm mutes it feels weird to rest my palm on the bridge. I understand that its common to place a mustang bridge on a jaguar which alleviates the string issue. does it help with the palm muting? am I just as good getting a buzz stop? thanks in advance for any future advice.

There's some misinformation on this thread. If your sole problem is strings popping out of the saddle grooves, simply switching to a mustang bridge (or a mastery) fixes that problem. Note that there are other issues with the Japanese Jag/JM bridge. The bigger problem IMO is that the height adjustment screws are not tight and the height tends to "slip", sometimes right in the middle of a set. If you replace the bridge, you solve both those problems at the same time.

You can also switch to an AVRI Jag/JM bridge, but relatively speaking, not all that cost-effective.

If saving money is the absolute most important thing, you can save a few bucks by simply taking a file to the bridge saddles and filing deeper grooves for the strings, but I wouldn't recommend this unless you have no money and are confident with tools, since replacing the bridge isn't hard and it's not expensive.

If you do replace the bridge, get one with adjustable bridge saddle heights (I get mine from Warmoth), since the saddle radius on the normal Mustang bridge usually does not match the radius of a CIJ Jaguar fretboard. You can also just get Mustang bridge saddles and replace the Jag ones (either Fender or Graphtech), but again, you're solving just one of the two bridge problems. You'd still have to address the slipping height adjustment thing. You might be able to fix it using PTFE tape (teflon tape) but that is a narrow screw and to me, it's way more of a pain to fix it that way.

The buzz stop is for a different problem, which is Jag/JM buzz caused by inadequate downward force of the strings toward the body, especially if you use the tremolo bar a lot. A buzz stop will fix these problems, but there are some trade-offs. If you play third bridge techniques you won't be able to do it the way you used to prior to installing the stop (although by introducing it, you are effectively creating possibilities for third and fourth bridge techniques). The second problem is that the new downward force tends to push the pivot bridge forwards in the ferrules which can cause some intonation concerns. Some surf purists aren't into the tone differences with a buzz stop (more sustain, less accidental overtones).

Both a new bridge and a buzz stop are very non-invasive mods (no drilling, no new screwholes, whatever) so there's no harm in trying either or both.

ridethefader's picture
phoeniz,az
Feb 2011
4 years ago

wow! super informative. thank you. Youre right. neither buzz stop or mustang bridge is very expensive. probably should just get both and see what i like

fender jaguar cij

vox ac30cc2 - voxac4

lobsty's picture
between Berlin and Melbourne...
Nov 2003
3 years ago

As for these mods that curtail behind the bridge trickery... hmmm... that's one of the best bits of a Jag!

Crustaceo ergo sum