18 posts / 0 new
Last post
sonda01's picture
cal
Mar 2007
4 years ago

i just acquired the ugliest, beat up strat body.

before i do anything to it, i want to make it a hardtail.
i want to glue in pieces of wood that would fill in the routed tremolo cavity. then screw in the hardtail bridge.
is this structurally safe?

-------------------------------
G&L ASAT Classic
Orange Tiny Terror

www.takeflightpedals.com
successful transactions with: asatbluesboy

cubby's picture
Over there...
Jan 2003
1 year ago

It would be much easier just to block a tremolo.

Pics of my stuff are available here:

http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthrea...659#post581659

"I'm not usually a praying man but-Save me Superman!"

"I think I brained my damage."

"O.K. brain, I don't like you and you don't like me. Let's just get this over with and I'll go back to killing you with beer."

Vague's picture
I love that dirty water
Nov 2005
5 years ago

Originally posted by cubby
It would be much easier just to block a tremolo.

+1

Filling the cavity and putting on a new bridge seems like a lot of unnecessary work.

Successful trades with DAVIDCOUPE
Successful purchases from Supergrunged, jm417

My rig - Updated 3/18/09

For sale/trade

The club

Amaranth's picture
Edmonton AB, Canada
Jun 2006
7 years ago

I just put two extra springs in mine which basically locked the bridge down to the body. It seemed to work pretty good for me, I don't know if this was the best way getting the same effect but thats what I did.

Gibson SG Standard Silverburst, Epiphone SG with EMG pickups, Fender Strat, Seagull acoustic, Gibson Les Paul Custom and PRS Semi Hollowbody
Boss TU2, BF2, TR2, DD3, LS2, Dunlop Crybaby, Jekyll & Hyde
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo Head, Mesa 4 X 12, Fender Ultimate Chorus

Johnny_the_Boy's picture
Calgary, Alberta
Jun 2007
7 years ago

If you're using thinner gauge strings (11 or lower), you should be able to just do it by tightening the springs.

She said, 'I want you.' I said, 'Finish your thought.'
Gear
Music

greasy's picture
Ottawa
Feb 2006
5 years ago

A strat with a blocked trem is not a hardtail;)

Since you're adding body, I don't think you'll have any problems. Getting it to stay there is the hard part. Strip all the paint of the surfaces you'll be gluing to, so it will stick better. The fewer different pieces you use to fill the cavities the better as well.

You'll need to ground the bridge somewhere else, If you shield the pickup cavity you can ground it there :).

cubby's picture
Over there...
Jan 2003
1 year ago

Originally posted by greasy
A strat with a blocked trem is not a hardtail;)

duh :rolleyes:

Pics of my stuff are available here:

http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthrea...659#post581659

"I'm not usually a praying man but-Save me Superman!"

"I think I brained my damage."

"O.K. brain, I don't like you and you don't like me. Let's just get this over with and I'll go back to killing you with beer."

olddawg's picture
Southern California & Hawaii usually, but I get around
Dec 2004
1 year ago

Originally posted by sonda01
i just acquired the ugliest, beat up strat body.

before i do anything to it, i want to make it a hardtail.
i want to glue in pieces of wood that would fill in the routed tremolo cavity. then screw in the hardtail bridge.
is this structurally safe?

This is a total waste of time and effort. It is nearly impossible to get right even for a pro and you will not like the results. Block it or get another body IMO. Seriously.

Stage Guitars: '80s Thin line LP Custom, '70 LP Standard, '83 Squier Black Headstock Strat w/ Dan Torres pickups, '59 Black Danelectro DC, sometimes others.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A

clnh5's picture
Bay Area, CA
Oct 2003
6 years ago

When i had my strats, i'd just tighten the springs down pretty damn far, enough so that the bridge was firmly against the body and had no chance of moving....psuedo-hardtail.

"I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but they've always worked for me." -Hunter S. Thompson
Guitars:
- Gibson Les Paul BFG (Black Sperzels).
- Ibanez RGA121TKF (Black Sperzels, Dimarzio Super Distortion and Dimarzio BREED).
- Ibanez RGA121NTF (Black Sperzels, SD Custom & Dimarzio PAF Pro).
- Beard Gold Tone Mahogany Resonator w/ Cutaway.
- Seagull Artist Mosaic CW Acoustic.
Amps:
- Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Head into Mesa/Boogie 4X12 Recto Cabinet (Loaded with Celestion G12T-75's).
- Fender 59' Bassman LTD.

indytruckboy's picture
Pennsylvania USA
Sep 2003
4 years ago

We have had threads like this before.

And every time,

I tell them to buy this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Custom-Shop-Parts-Hot-Rod-Drop-Top-Convertible-Bridge?sku=361537

There are other kinds. Some cheaper.

Live=
ESP Eclipse II>
Racked - Furman PL-Plus II, Korg rack tuner, EV RE2 wireless, G-Major
Board - NS-2, Vox Clyde Wah>
5150 + 1960AX (Vintage 30s)

jm417's picture
Peoria, IL
Jan 2008
4 years ago

I agree with greasy in that a blocked trem is not equal to a hardtail. I have done it before. Converted an old kramer body with a Floyd into a strings-through hardtail. here's the tutorial.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tht1.htm

The hardest part of the process is making sure that you position the bridge correctly. If you don't then the guitar won't sound good at all.

Telecaster/USA Stratocaster/Gibson LP Std>Korg Pitchblack>Fulltone Clyde Deluxe>Hermida Zendrive>Rockett Pedals FlexDrive>Hollytronics Triangle Big Muff>MXR EQ>MXR Phase 90 script RI>DMB Pedals Lunar Echo>TC Electronic Nova Reverb>BBE Sonic Stomp>Mesa Dual Rectifier>Weber MASS 100>Avatar 2X12 w/V30's

Other stuff: Alvarez MF80C, Keeley TS9 and DS-1, Devilworks Jezebel, Deja Vibe, POG2, Vox V848, Spring Chicken, Tone Bender, '68 Fender Blender, Shredmaster, Small Clone, Fender Hot Rod Deville