7 posts / 0 new
Last post
loveanddag's picture
texas
Feb 2005
10 years ago

does anyone know the effect vai uses on whispering a prayer? i kinda have my doubts about it being an actual stompbox but it might be, who knows.

www.theechoesmusic.com

www.myspace.com/theechoes

Talent?!'s picture
Merseyside, U.K.
Aug 2003
3 years ago

Originally posted by loveanddag
does anyone know the effect vai uses on whispering a prayer? i kinda have my doubts about it being an actual stompbox but it might be, who knows.

I'll check the tabbook, if it doesn't say, I'll give it a listen.

Edit: sweeppicker says it's Vai's Eventide.

-You are now breathing manually.
Gear

Quote:

Originally posted by thelabia {regarding glow in the dark furbies}
WOW!!! That'd rock!
Or you could give them spandex and facepaint and use the enclosure to hold Illegal furbie cage matches...
Theres never a dull moment with an empty krank head...

Quote:

Originally posted by Motorhead
If crack made a noise then the X2N would make the same noise.

loveanddag's picture
texas
Feb 2005
10 years ago

Is there a way to get something close to that sound without buying an eventide? that thing is expensive. as well, how does the eventide work? the name harmonizer to me sounds like a glorified pitch shifter.

www.theechoesmusic.com

www.myspace.com/theechoes

Talent?!'s picture
Merseyside, U.K.
Aug 2003
3 years ago

As far as I know, the Eventide is a high quality multi fx unit, and knowing Vai's music, he may have combined multiple effects into one patch. Hopefully someone who knows more will see this thread.

-You are now breathing manually.
Gear

Quote:

Originally posted by thelabia {regarding glow in the dark furbies}
WOW!!! That'd rock!
Or you could give them spandex and facepaint and use the enclosure to hold Illegal furbie cage matches...
Theres never a dull moment with an empty krank head...

Quote:

Originally posted by Motorhead
If crack made a noise then the X2N would make the same noise.

sweeppicker's picture
Mar 2004
2 years ago

Originally posted by loveanddag
Is there a way to get something close to that sound without buying an eventide? that thing is expensive. as well, how does the eventide work? the name harmonizer to me sounds like a glorified pitch shifter.

It's pitchshifting effects know no equivalents. I'm saving up for one right now, I'll own one in 2 months yay! :D

But it's not only the pitchshifting that is really good about it. The reverbs and delays, the modulations, all kill most (not all) analog/digital pedals with striking ease.

loveanddag's picture
texas
Feb 2005
10 years ago

so no ideas on how to get close to that effect? i know i could do something similar with volume pedal/ reverse delay (sorta)/ slow gear or other such clone/etc.

www.theechoesmusic.com

www.myspace.com/theechoes

Tone_Gecko's picture
Greenville, SC
Jul 2003
8 years ago

Originally posted by loveanddag
does anyone know the effect vai uses on whispering a prayer? i kinda have my doubts about it being an actual stompbox but it might be, who knows.

Alot of that is tremelo bar technique. In fact alot of his music is that way. Try using a whammy, an envelope filter.