Electro Harmonix Metal Muff
Boss TU2

www.mandura.co.uk
www.myspace.com/mandura

pop_n_fresh's picture
Hell
Nov 2005
6 years ago

Probably not. Why can't you use a 9v one?

I may have Alzheimer's but at least I don't have Alzheimer's!!

Quote:

Originally posted by Talent?!
Masturbation isn't just for boys.

Quote:

Originally posted by oscuridad
yup.

Leeroyfunk's picture
Leeds UK
Feb 2006
5 years ago

Old Boss pedals (marked "ACA" not "PSA") actually need 12v instead of 9v; Some pedals have fancy circuitry that allows safe operation at different voltages: Unless this is clearly stated i'd always stick with the voltage specified on the pedal - It's remarkably easy to fry the pcb, and not always easy/cheap to repair.

ketty_krueger's picture
Sheffield, UK
Nov 2006
9 years ago

Originally posted by pop_n_fresh
Probably not. Why can't you use a 9v one?

Just got my Metal Muff and that's the only spare adaptor I can found around the house!

I did get excited when I found a 9V one but it didn't work, must be old and broken.

Not to worry, I'll just buy a 9V one.

Cheers guys.

Axes [Left Handed]:

Gibson Les Paul Studio - Ebony
Epiphone G400 - Cherry
LTD EC50 w/EMG81 - Ebony

Amp:

Laney GH100L
Laney GS410 Iommi Model

Stompboxes:

Electro Harmonix Metal Muff
Boss TU2

www.mandura.co.uk
www.myspace.com/mandura

asatbluesboy's picture
Brasil
Dec 2005
1 year ago

Some Fulltones can be run on up to 18V. Your best bet is e-mailing your pedals' manufacturers about it, as some pedals can and some (most) can't. I did that a while ago and all of them (even EHX) answered me within a week.

crew

Quote:

The thought of EMGs on a Jag makes me vomit a little.

Originally posted by paradeblonde
Beep beeeep beeeeeeeeeep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPP

Selling BOSS FW-3. I live in Brazil, mind you, so prepare yourself for $30-ish for shipping and waiting. Local pickup available, along with beautiful beaches and cheap bitches.

Zeppelanoid's picture
Montreal, Canada
Feb 2006
5 years ago

Related question (I don't want to start another thread/waste space).

If I found a 9-volt DC adapter lying around the house (it was for one of those inMotion thingies), can I use it to safely power a pedal?

If yes, can you buy (cheap) 9-volt adapters which aren't made specifically for guitar but will work?

asatbluesboy's picture
Brasil
Dec 2005
1 year ago

"Will work" doesn't mean "will sound good". Many improper adapters will generate lots of hum. But you can try them. Just make sure the plug is center negative (for BOSS-style DC jacks) or tip positive (for EHX ones).

crew

Quote:

The thought of EMGs on a Jag makes me vomit a little.

Originally posted by paradeblonde
Beep beeeep beeeeeeeeeep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPP

Selling BOSS FW-3. I live in Brazil, mind you, so prepare yourself for $30-ish for shipping and waiting. Local pickup available, along with beautiful beaches and cheap bitches.

Zeppelanoid's picture
Montreal, Canada
Feb 2006
5 years ago

Originally posted by asatbluesboy
But you can try them. Just make sure the plug is center negative (for BOSS-style DC jacks) or tip positive (for EHX ones).

And how does one do that?

Leeroyfunk's picture
Leeds UK
Feb 2006
5 years ago

Originally posted by Zeppelanoid
And how does one do that?

It will have a symbol like this

hard_montana's picture
South of Canada (Heaven?)
Oct 2004
8 years ago

On occasion I do it because I like the sound. I SMACK the my boss heavy metal w/ extra volts sometimes, and every so often other pedals feel the power supply of my Dano Cool Cat (18 volts?!?). I think the possible damage maybe worth the tone. Tell me that when I'm crying about my broken pedals though.

Originally posted by sonda01:
I am the original poster.

Originally posted by Spooksie: i'll take the BJ.

olddawg's picture
Southern California & Hawaii usually, but I get around
Dec 2004
1 year ago

Here's the deal. Many active components like OP amp ICs and such in your pedals will work on a wide range of voltages from around 7 to 15v usually, whatever the spec is. Depending on how it is biased, it will not effect most transistors. What will cause you problems is underated electrolytic caps that may explode and little glass diodes that tend to draw more current than they are rated for. I wouldn't suggest running a power supply on a pedal more than 20% more than the rating.

Stage Guitars: '80s Thin line LP Custom, '70 LP Standard, '83 Squier Black Headstock Strat w/ Dan Torres pickups, '59 Black Danelectro DC, sometimes others.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A