6 posts / 0 new
Last post
james_teh_OG's picture
America
Mar 2005
6 years ago

can a tuner give an accurate tuning in the FX loop of the amp?

MY LIST OF REALLY REALLY CHEAP GEAR (but it works for me and thats what matters)

GUITAR(S) - Squire Affinity Stratocaster (black with maple neck)

AMP(S) - Fender FM212R (working now i think), Fender Frontman 15-watt amp (practice)

FX - Digitech Whammy IV, Dunlop 95Q Wha, MXR Phase 90, DOD YJM308 Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive, EHX Metal Muff, Boss RV-3 Reverb/Delay, Boss BF-2 Flanger

ALL I WANT FOR XMAS IS A BOSS DD-7

i_finlayson37's picture
Edinburgh
Mar 2003
10 years ago

Originally posted by james teh OG
can a tuner give an accurate tuning in the FX loop of the amp?

If it's clean I'm sure you'd be alright, it's better to put the tuner before any gain stages though.

MXR Phase 45 -> Digitech Hot Rod -> Digitech Whammy4 -> Lovetone Doppelganger -> AKAI Headrush -> EHX Holy Grail -> Marshall MG 30DFX

Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster
Squier Jazz Bass
Westfield SR383 Acoustic
Ibanez 12-String Jumbo

And here it is Geeked for those with short attention spans:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...78610069YGpPVx

james_teh_OG's picture
America
Mar 2005
6 years ago

Originally posted by i_finlayson37
If it's clean I'm sure you'd be alright, it's better to put the tuner before any gain stages though.

well here let me explain the situation better

i run my wha and distortion pedals (basically anything that boosts the level) directly through the signal. everything else runs into the effects loop. all the pedals run through the loop of a Boss NS-2 which then goes into the loop of the amp. i want to see if i can get a Boss TU-2 so i can use it as a tuner and also a master mute. but whats the point if it won't tune in the effects loop? and i don't want to run it through the signal because my wha and distortion run on 9V batteries and Boss pedals SUCK when it comes to battery life (the NS-2 acts at the power supply for the pedals in the amp loop because i don't have to stretch the daisy chain cord too far)

so any suggestions would be appreciated

(whoo took a lot out of me explaining that)

MY LIST OF REALLY REALLY CHEAP GEAR (but it works for me and thats what matters)

AMP(S) - Fender FM212R (working now i think), Fender Frontman 15-watt amp (practice)

FX - Digitech Whammy IV, Dunlop 95Q Wha, MXR Phase 90, DOD YJM308 Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive, EHX Metal Muff, Boss RV-3 Reverb/Delay, Boss BF-2 Flanger

jacksonjs30's picture
pa
Jul 2004
8 years ago

no a TU-2 will not work as a mute in the FX loop the signal is too amplified to get stopped by the buffer

james_teh_OG's picture
America
Mar 2005
6 years ago

Originally posted by jacksonjs30
no a TU-2 will not work as a mute in the FX loop the signal is too amplified to get stopped by the buffer

well okay i can take that in stride, but will it still tune accurately?

i_finlayson37's picture
Edinburgh
Mar 2003
10 years ago

Originally posted by james teh OG
well okay i can take that in stride, but will it still tune accurately?

If your amp is clean or you're using the clean channel then it'll be able to track pretty accurately, but being in front of gain, even one that's not overdriving the signal, still raises the possibility of hampering tracking.

Since the mute idea apparently won't work you're probably best sticking the tuner right at the beginning of your signal chain.

MXR Phase 45 -> Digitech Hot Rod -> Digitech Whammy4 -> Lovetone Doppelganger -> AKAI Headrush -> EHX Holy Grail -> Marshall MG 30DFX

Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster
Squier Jazz Bass
Westfield SR383 Acoustic
Ibanez 12-String Jumbo

And here it is Geeked for those with short attention spans:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...78610069YGpPVx