13 posts / 0 new
Last post
any's picture
Rotterdamn
Oct 2003
8 years ago

I have a iBanez AD-9 Analog Delay wich I bought for 10 euro's (LOL!) but it doesn't work 100%, what it does is the following:

The delay time only works for 0 to about 2 or 3, then it totally craps out and goes silent... I sprayed the pot with contact cleaner wich didn't help.
Repeat and delay level seem to be working normally when the delay time is set to about 2 or 3.
It also still self-oscillates and stuff.
There's one IC that can be pulled from the PCB wich I presume is the BBD chip.(?)
I pulled it, sprayed the contacts and put it back... didn't help. :D
Anyway, can someone confirme if the BBD chip went south? (or anywhere but here...)
And if that is the case, can I buy a new BBD chip from somewhere? (please?)

Help much apprieciated...

RUSHFANnLV's picture
LAS VEGAS
Jun 2003
2 years ago

I'm not sure about the chip but I thought maybe the internal trim pots were adjusted by the previous owner. Here is a thread that shows alot of pedals you can tweek in this manner. Other users like Greyskull and nocluejimbo own AD9's and maybe they can tell what the original trim pot settings are.

Good luck.:)

nocluejimbo's picture
Kansas City
Aug 2003
6 years ago

i could check those out for ya.... if you reply...

Sea Men + Sea People = Sea-Ciety!

G6add9's picture
Magnetic North Pole
Nov 2003
4 years ago

Originally posted by any
I have a iBanez AD-9 Analog Delay wich I bought for 10 euro's (LOL!) The delay time only works for 0 to about 2 or 3, then it totally craps out and goes silent... I sprayed the pot with contact cleaner wich didn't help.

that's harsh dude. you prob. are the 3rd+ owner of that pedal. grrrr: ebay is a risk.


"One must choose in life between boredom and suffering" - Mme de Stael

My past gear:
1984 Electra Phoenix X135NA + Ibanez PF5BK (acoustic) / Dunlop Crybaby Wah / BOSS CS-1 / BOSS OD-1
Arion SDI-1 / MXR EQ (6 band) / BOSS CE-2 / Ibanez FL9 / DOD FX90 / Digitech PDS1000 / Fender Pro Jr

ExpAnonColin's picture
Rochester
Sep 2003
7 years ago

Well, it could easily be the pots that just aren't working. If you're getting any delay time or repeats at all, it's probably not the BBD. Normally it's all or nothing with them. I have a feeling that if it's beat up there's a few things funky in there, the pots probably. Could be a whole lot of things.

-Colin

http://www.eaced.com
Exerimentalists Anonymous Custom Audio Devices

experimentalists anonymous.

DIY Audio, schematic/datasheet archive, the EA board...

any's picture
Rotterdamn
Oct 2003
8 years ago

Originally posted by G6add9
that's harsh dude. you prob. are the 3rd+ owner of that pedal. grrrr: ebay is a risk.

Uhh... I didn't buy it on eBay... and it was 10 euro's, so even spending 50 on repair it would be dirt-cheap...

Originally posted by ExpAnonColin
Well, it could easily be the pots that just aren't working. If you're getting any delay time or repeats at all, it's probably not the BBD. Normally it's all or nothing with them. I have a feeling that if it's beat up there's a few things funky in there, the pots probably. Could be a whole lot of things.
-Colin

It looks pretty mint ( my AD-9 ), and I did some tinkering last night.
If I connect the "delay time" potmeter wires, the effect is the same as turning the dial to 0/10... so I think the "delay time" pot itself is O.K.
I also tried to adjust the internal trimpots to various settings, but there's no obvious audible improvement. (I heard you need a oscilloscope to calibrate it?)
Maybe I should send it to Maxon for repairs? (they still make the AD-9)
Anyway, thoughts always welcome.

ExpAnonColin's picture
Rochester
Sep 2003
7 years ago

Originally posted by any

It looks pretty mint ( my AD-9 ), and I did some tinkering last night.
If I connect the "delay time" potmeter wires, the effect is the same as turning the dial to 0/10... so I think the "delay time" pot itself is O.K.
I also tried to adjust the internal trimpots to various settings, but there's no obvious audible improvement. (I heard you need a oscilloscope to calibrate it?)
Maybe I should send it to Maxon for repairs? (they still make the AD-9)
Anyway, thoughts always welcome.

Naw, you don't need an oscope, that's just for distortion analysis. Did you mark the trimpots first?

-Colin

http://www.eaced.com
Exerimentalists Anonymous Custom Audio Devices

experimentalists anonymous.

DIY Audio, schematic/datasheet archive, the EA board...

any's picture
Rotterdamn
Oct 2003
8 years ago

Originally posted by ExpAnonColin
Naw, you don't need an oscope, that's just for distortion analysis. Did you mark the trimpots first?

-Colin

Actually, when I started to mark the trimpots I noticed there were allready fine marks on the epoxy side of the trimpot (factory markings?).
Anyway, I spend about an hour last night with trying out different combinations of trimpot settings but there was nothing obviously improving... (I had the delay on while turning the trimpots to hear what was happening)
Turning some of the trimpots gives a fair amount of "contact" noise (like a bad pot) when I turn it fully to one side.
I returned the pots to their original settings after that. (the marks that were allready there)
I expected turning the trimpots would at least do something to the sound, but There was not much happening, I also tried really small increments (turning half mm at a time).

I found out Maxon still services the AD-9 since they also have a reissue still available.
Maybe I'll just send it to their service centre and see what happens...

any's picture
Rotterdamn
Oct 2003
8 years ago

Originally posted by nocluejimbo
i could check those out for ya.... if you reply...

I really apprieciate your help, but a round-trip to the US would make about 40 bucks...
(sending it to Maxon through my local store would cost about the same)

I'll keep it in mind though! :)

G6add9's picture
Magnetic North Pole
Nov 2003
4 years ago

Originally posted by any
It looks pretty mint ( my AD-9

she's a beaut'! ;) love that stereo out! :D


"One must choose in life between boredom and suffering" - Mme de Stael

My past gear:
1984 Electra Phoenix X135NA + Ibanez PF5BK (acoustic) / Dunlop Crybaby Wah / BOSS CS-1 / BOSS OD-1
Arion SDI-1 / MXR EQ (6 band) / BOSS CE-2 / Ibanez FL9 / DOD FX90 / Digitech PDS1000 / Fender Pro Jr

nocluejimbo's picture
Kansas City
Aug 2003
6 years ago

Originally posted by any
I really apprieciate your help, but a round-trip to the US would make about 40 bucks...
(sending it to Maxon through my local store would cost about the same)

I'll keep it in mind though! :)

i could tell you the original trim pot locations....

Sea Men + Sea People = Sea-Ciety!