7 posts / 0 new
Last post
dcMuSiC's picture
May 2017
1 week ago

Hey - does anyone have a reccomended fuzz overdrive pedal that they use? I have been looking at the MXR M236 Super Badass Guitar Pedal, but just wondering what you guys think.

What is the difference between a guitar player and a couch?

The couch can support a family.

dcMuSiC's picture
May 2017
1 week ago

Also, here is the link for the pedal I referenced in the original post - MXR M236 Super Badass Guitar Pedal

macjohn's picture
Jun 2008
1 week ago

I normally would let someone with experience with the pedal you're asking about answer, but since you've gone all weekend without a reply, I'll offer my experience.

It depends a bit on what your purpose for the fuzz is.  This one seems like (from the reviews) it can do a bit of everything.  The unknown is, does the person comparing it to xyz pedal really know what an xyz pedal sounds like or are they just going by what they've read or heard on youtube videos?  who knows... best to always try yourself.

I have a wide range of fuzz pedals.  Here are the ones I can recall off the top of my head: Fulltone 69, Keeley Fuzzhead, EHX Big Muff NYC, EHX nano Muff, tonebender mkII clone, Fuzz Face clone, Boss FZ-5, and various modelers (like Line 6 M5/M13).

I've had all on my board at one time or another but am currently using the tonebender (mainly because it was the one I built recently and is the newest).  After that would be the fuzz face clone (again because it's the 2nd newest and I'm digging the sort of 'reckless' sound of these homemade things).  

I probably wouldn't put either on my gigging board (these are used for recording and rehearsals).  I've had the nano muff on my board the longest out of the remainder.  It gets the most useable sound for what my band does (think early 90's alt rock, sort of Smashing Pumpkinsish.  I've also used it for a cover of Neil Young's Cinnamon Girl).  

The muff's are also reasonably priced.  I see them all the time on my local Craigslist in the 40-50 dollar range.  I can't remember the last time I bought a pedal new.  People are selling them for over half off all the time.  I bought the keeley and fulltone used on Ebay and still paid too much for them.  That was before I realized the fuzz I was looking for could be had a lot cheaper.  I will say the fulltone can achieve a LOT of range with it's extra knobs for shaping the tone.

In summary, I'll just say yeah, I'm sure the pedal is fine.  I've owned several MXR pedals and they are of great quality.  But fuzz is a personal taste thing and until you try a few, I don't think you'll know what you want... and if you do that, do it cheaper.

dcMuSiC's picture
May 2017
1 week ago
Originally Posted by macjohn

I normally would let someone with experience with the pedal you're asking about answer, but since you've gone all weekend without a reply, I'll offer my experience.

It depends a bit on what your purpose for the fuzz is.  This one seems like (from the reviews) it can do a bit of everything.  The unknown is, does the person comparing it to xyz pedal really know what an xyz pedal sounds like or are they just going by what they've read or heard on youtube videos?  who knows... best to always try yourself.

I have a wide range of fuzz pedals.  Here are the ones I can recall off the top of my head: Fulltone 69, Keeley Fuzzhead, EHX Big Muff NYC, EHX nano Muff, tonebender mkII clone, Fuzz Face clone, Boss FZ-5, and various modelers (like Line 6 M5/M13).

I've had all on my board at one time or another but am currently using the tonebender (mainly because it was the one I built recently and is the newest).  After that would be the fuzz face clone (again because it's the 2nd newest and I'm digging the sort of 'reckless' sound of these homemade things).  

I probably wouldn't put either on my gigging board (these are used for recording and rehearsals).  I've had the nano muff on my board the longest out of the remainder.  It gets the most useable sound for what my band does (think early 90's alt rock, sort of Smashing Pumpkinsish.  I've also used it for a cover of Neil Young's Cinnamon Girl).  

The muff's are also reasonably priced.  I see them all the time on my local Craigslist in the 40-50 dollar range.  I can't remember the last time I bought a pedal new.  People are selling them for over half off all the time.  I bought the keeley and fulltone used on Ebay and still paid too much for them.  That was before I realized the fuzz I was looking for could be had a lot cheaper.  I will say the fulltone can achieve a LOT of range with it's extra knobs for shaping the tone.

In summary, I'll just say yeah, I'm sure the pedal is fine.  I've owned several MXR pedals and they are of great quality.  But fuzz is a personal taste thing and until you try a few, I don't think you'll know what you want... and if you do that, do it cheaper.

Hey thanks for the feedback. I looked at the boss pedal and think I might look into getting one of those. Also thanks for saying that pedals can be bought for like half price new - in my ignorance I forgot to look on ebay at pedals.

macjohn's picture
Jun 2008
1 week ago

one note on the boss fz-5.  It is a modeling pedal so not analog like the other fuzzes I mentioned.  This is a big deal to some so worth noting.  I've had good luck getting decent sounds out of it but overall didn't see enough in it to keep it on my board for long.  it is the only pedal I've found that can hit the 'Satisfaction' fuzz tone on it's own though...

dcMuSiC's picture
May 2017
1 week ago
Originally Posted by macjohn

one note on the boss fz-5.  It is a modeling pedal so not analog like the other fuzzes I mentioned.  This is a big deal to some so worth noting.  I've had good luck getting decent sounds out of it but overall didn't see enough in it to keep it on my board for long.  it is the only pedal I've found that can hit the 'Satisfaction' fuzz tone on it's own though...

K cool. I was looking to get a sort of punk rock-ish tone with it, but without getting a blues driver or something because I just recently recieved an overdrive pedal as a birthday gift.

dcMuSiC's picture
May 2017
1 week ago

Ironically, the same person who bought me the behringer overdrive is now buying me a blues driver so this post is somewhat worthless.