7 posts / 0 new
Last post
bucky_2's picture
Canada
Mar 2004
6 years ago

I want to get an Ernie Ball volume pedal but the only thing I dont like about it is its size. It seems a little too big and obtrusive. The VP Junior looks a little more to my liking. However, I have never seen it on a pedalboard so I dont know how it sizes up to other pedals. Is it about the size of a CryBaby? Because that would be perfect. My main issue is the quality. I want to know if it is the same quality of the original one. Finally, do any of the volume pedals require power? Thanks.

Doctor_J's picture
Oct 2003
3 years ago

As I understand it, most, if not all, voume pedals do not require power, whether it be from a 9V battery or a power supply. I was actually looking into getting a VP Jr. at some point because they have a tuner out, but I guess since I don't really play live anywhere, it would be a little superfluous. But, from what I can tell, the Ernie Ball quality is there without the bulkiness of their larger pedals.

Stuff I use:
Standard Strat with Lace Hot Golds; Standard Ash Tele; Fulltone OCD, Line6 M9
My Music

guitardude5489's picture
Chicago...
Apr 2003
5 years ago

yea dude just get the jr. its super compact for a volume pedal, and its passive which means it doesnt have a need for a power source...

WANTED!

Akai E2 Headrush
EHX Graphic Fuzz

Iron_Gland's picture
Mar 2004
7 years ago

Originally posted by Doctor J
I was actually looking into getting a VP Jr. at some point because they have a tuner out, but I guess since I don't really play live anywhere, it would be a little superfluous.

Superfluous? For at home? Have you ever a delay/volume pedal combination? You violin the notes and let off the volume, you get this trippy, really ambient effect. You can do it with your guitars volume control too I suppose, but it's a little smoother with the volume pedal.

Doctor_J's picture
Oct 2003
3 years ago

Originally posted by Iron Gland
Superfluous? For at home? Have you ever a delay/volume pedal combination? You violin the notes and let off the volume, you get this trippy, really ambient effect. You can do it with your guitars volume control too I suppose, but it's a little smoother with the volume pedal.

I'm sold!

Seriously, though, I have a Strat, which means that picking with volume swells are as easy as hammer-ons and pull-offs. Still, a volume pedal would be much easier, not to mention the fact that I don't like wahs, and having something that resembles a wah in my pedal chain would make it look more normal.

Stuff I use:
Standard Strat with Lace Hot Golds; Standard Ash Tele; Fulltone OCD, Line6 M9
My Music

d_y_l_o_n's picture
Canada
Sep 2003
10 years ago

The JR. is identical to its big brother except for size and price. Same quality.

Both the JR and the standard are available in version for active or passive pickups, neither require an external power source.

monkeyspunky's picture
London, UK
Dec 2002
4 years ago

personally just prefer the larger one- just feels stronger :p

Wampler Clean Buffer
EHX HOG (True Bypass Loop)
Line 6 FM4 Filter Modeller
Lovetone Meatball
MXR Distortion + (1977 - True Bypass Mod)
PROCO RAT 2 (Keeley)
Radial Tonebone Hot British
Lovetone Big Cheese
Zvex Mastotron
Zvex Super Duper 2 in 1
Hilton Volume Pedal (to Boss TU2)
True Bypass Strip
Boss CE2 (1978 MIJ)
MXR Carbon Copy
Boss DD3
EHX 2880
Line 6 DL4