63 posts / 0 new
Last post
carl_2's picture
Northumberland, England
Apr 2006
6 years ago

Like a lot of people here I love my stomp boxes, however I cant decide if I should get a beautifully clean valve amp and a handful of distortion pedals or a valve amp with all the distortion I need.

i.e. Fender Twin Reverb Vs ENGL Screamer Combo

I think the advantage of having an amp like the ENGL is that I can switch between 4 channels without having to turn one off and another on. Unlike having stomp boxes where I would have to get a line selector to do this.

What does everybody else do?

Tenine's picture
UK
Jun 2006
6 years ago

The advantage of pedals is that you can always change the tone of the distortion.
With an amp, you're stuck with however many channels you get.

You can always get a Distortion and an Overdrive and use them together.
You've got 4 different tones right there.

toma's picture
Cambridge/York, UK
May 2006
1 year ago

ive opted for the latter. it works fine for me.

i use a hot rod deluxe, the distortion channels lame, but it has so much headroom clean, that its worth it.

tx

my music

s/t: LINK
good deals with: Berarduur, Hides-His-Eyes,

jonbye's picture
UK
Apr 2006
3 years ago

I find you can really compliment one with the other. I love the sound of my crappy ss amp overdriven but it doesnt cut it enough for lead, while my ds 1 copy is great for lead but is a little thin. So, i take the amp half way up and reduce distortion and hey presto! Its the same sorta theory as why so many people use tube screamers. If you mix the two you can often get the best out of your amp and you've got more options. So in conclusion, my opinion is both!

My Rig

"...We should be wasting that space with another discussion about something truly useful, like tits or religion or something......." - Fiveways

rxstomp's picture
Pa
Apr 2006
9 years ago

i dont know if the delux is the same ... but i have a deville and i like the distortion on it i mean... you can always buy both thats what i did i have a distortion pedal and amp distortion ... the downside to having it on the amp is its not running through with the effects so say your using a delay your going to get a diffrient effect with a stomp box or amp distortion.

screamingdaisy's picture
Off the deep end.
Sep 2003
3 months ago

I've yet to find a dirt box that sounds as good as tube distortion.

To me, pedal dirt tends to sound a little harsh and thin. Tube dirt sounds smoother and more dynamic.

R. Mutt

Guitar -> Wah -> Amp -> Cab

rxstomp's picture
Pa
Apr 2006
9 years ago

i agree i have tube distortion and i loveee it but like i said the one down side is its not running through the rest of your effects...

veer_chasm's picture
May 2003
6 years ago

I used to be a channel distortion proponent, but I've started using a Fulldrive along with it so I am a "both" fan now.

http://www.veerchasm.com
http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthrea...ght=veer+chasm
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." --C.S.Lewis

Aureate_7's picture
Serenity Valley
Apr 2005
6 years ago

I am a both as well. I like the overdrive on my amp [Peavey Classic 50] but I also like the way it takes a Rat.

Oh and remember...you cant really change the clean tone. So if you need a clean tone...make sure it has a good one, because thats alot less changeable than dirt.

Uneffected guitar...thats a joke, right?

Granty_Boy's picture
Hamilton, Scotland
Jan 2004
1 year ago

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
I've yet to find a dirt box that sounds as good as tube distortion.

To me, pedal dirt tends to sound a little harsh and thin. Tube dirt sounds smoother and more dynamic.

I agree totally.

I only ever use my DS1 to boost the natural overdrive sounds from my amp. With two dirt channels on my amp, this gives me four distortion sounds, all of which seem better to me than pedals on their own.

Gibson LP Classic, Fender Mexican Standard Strat, Ibanez S320> Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Boss TU-2, SPF Ego Booster, Keeley BD-2, EH Graphic Fuzz, Fulltone OCD, Boss LS-2, Ibanez AD9, MXR Carbon Copy, EH Stereo Electric Mistress, EH Small Stone Nano, Boss CE-5 in loop of LS-2 > Marshall TSL 122

Other gizmos - Boss OS-2, Roger Mayer Mongoose Fuzz, Boss GE-7, Marshall SV-1 Supervibe, Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz, Dunlop Crybaby, EHX LPB1 Nano, Boss DS-1, EH Small Stone, EH Holy Grail, Boss BF-2

toma's picture
Cambridge/York, UK
May 2006
1 year ago

Originally posted by rxstomp
i dont know if the delux is the same ... but i have a deville and i like the distortion on it i mean

mi deluxe clicks when you turn the distortion on. also the distortion seems a bit weak. :(

i was thinking about the 2x12,

oh well

tx

my music

s/t: LINK
good deals with: Berarduur, Hides-His-Eyes,