13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Woody777's picture
Apr 2004
8 years ago

Can anybody compare the Whammy reissue with the Boss PS-5 in terms of sound quality and features?

SnooP's picture
Jun 2004
9 years ago

i like the look of the ps-5 better because it has real harmonizing as well a few other modes the whammy doesn't have...

I'm gonna bid on ebay this week to buy one unless another geek wants to sell me one for under US$120 (inc shipping) or $150 if expression pedal is included

SnooP's Rig:
Cheap Fender Affinity Strat > Modded Dunlop Wah > Modded Boss SD-1 Overdrive > Modded Boss DS-1 Distortion > Boss Ps-5 Super Shifter > Fender Princecton 65 IN >
Effects loop: Guyatone fl-2 flanger > Boss Ph-1r Phaser > Danelectro Tuna Melt Tremolo > Zoom Gfx-4 > Princecton 65

JukePenguin's picture
Oct 2004
9 years ago

Can you leave the whammy like an octave down and have a super heavy sound?

Everyone else does it so why not me....
Peavey EVH Wolfgang
mesa mark iv
1960b cab
Fender Blues Jr.
MXR Phase 90
Vox Wah V487
DOD 40fxb w/sniper mod
Boss DD20

proggy04's picture
North Carolina
Dec 2003
6 years ago

For versatility, I'd say the PS-5...

However, something that has come in VERY handy for me is that the whammy only has 1 knob, so it's easy to change setting mid-song. But if you only need a few different setting in your set, but need the versatility, get the PS-5. I've also heard the PS-5 tracks way better (playing more than just 2 notes at a time is feasible).

I hope that helps you narrow it down a bit :)

Customized Highway 1 Strat with special pickup configuration (middle pickup modifed to pick up only E and A strings)

Signal 1: OC-2 - Fulldrive - DD-3 - Jamman - '59 Bassman RI

Signal 2: Octave multiplexer - PS-3 - PA system

Lietz's picture
Mar 2004
9 years ago

I love my PS-5 but I've never used a wammy. I got it for $90 on ebay so I can't complain.

Woody777's picture
Apr 2004
8 years ago

Thanks guys.

From what I can tell, the PS-5 does everything the Whammy does plus the trem/flutter thing. I would mainly use it for playing lead harmonies, pitch shifting in real time for squeels and the detune for a heavy muddy kind of sound at times.

Am I on the right track with the PS-5 or should I look into the Whammy a little more?

Also, where does the PS-5 work best in the signal chain? And what kind of expression pedal do you need and can you just use a standard 1/4" instrument cable to plug it in?

Cooper_2's picture
Victoria, BC
Jan 2004
8 years ago

Originally posted by SnooP
i like the look of the ps-5 better because it has real harmonizing

as opposed to...? :confused:

Entertaining offers on a Boss DM-1 Delay Machine
Official Member of tha Grammar Nazis
Pics of my outdated rig New pics to come soon
Victoria's Music Site
"I laughed aloud to drown it out so I could breathe and feel the space around me"
-Marianas Trench

nyrkickazz1's picture
New York City
Oct 2003
1 year ago

Originally posted by Cooper
as opposed to...? :confused:

Fake harmonizing, duh.

He's talking about intelligent pitch shifting.

"Rickenbackers make you think in melodies rather than blues scales." - Roger McGuinn

My stuff.
Rickenbacker 4003/4001 conversion project.

Woody777's picture
Apr 2004
8 years ago

Woody777's picture
Apr 2004
8 years ago

another bump

zoso451's picture
san gabriel
Apr 2004
8 years ago

I own one with an expression pedal. It rules, but you cant hold it in whammy mode so you have to stand on both the pedal and the expression to control it. The harmonizer is really really good, the pitch shift mode is awesome for making weird effects.

I like it a lot more than the Whammy. Lots more options.

The Junk Guitar collection.

Strat w, red gold blue lace sensors
Danelectro DC-3
MIJ Tele custom 73 reissue w/ p-90
MIJ Tele 60 reissue
Silvertone 60s Jazzmaster Model

Boss rc-2-->Akai Headrush-->DOD Bi-Fet-->Drab Groan(a.k.a Bad Moan, a.k.a, a very noisily self modded Fab Tone)-->ProCo Turbo Rat-->NOIIIIIIIISSEEEEEEEEE
Vox AC-30

Memory Man is due for a COMEBACK!

"recognizing that there are goliaths nowadays"
-Dylan(I know, lame...)