30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shihad82's picture
Brisbane, Australia
Apr 2004
4 years ago

When it comes to delay, I'm after 3 main things.

I want a simple, short delay. Just a simple echo, no huge delay times for looping, or anything like that, and I want a slow-volume effect. Reverb would be a nice addition, but I do have it on my Road King, so it's not necessary.

I could completely satisfy all these by getting a Holy Grail, a simple delay pedal, DD-3 or maybe an analogue delay, and then the deleted Boss Slow Gear, or a Guyatone Slow Volume. I suck at using a volume pedal in the Swell fashion. I really need an automatic effect for it.

I know the Boss GT-6 would satisfy all my needs for that, and that would also mean that I could get rid of my Line 6 Mod Pro. However, how good is the expression functions on the GT-6? I really want to be able to control as many effects as possible via an expression pedal.

I was thinking that maybe I could invest in a DL-4 and get the slow volume and delay options, but does it have reverb? and can you use more than 1 setting at once? ie. Delay and Reverb at the same time. Or should I just stick with the Echo Pro, and run it through a midi switch along with the Mod Pro. Then I would also be able to have a lot more available settings.

This might seem a little jumbled, but if anyone can give any suggestions of what I can do, I'd be very greatful.

slc_dan's picture
slc
Mar 2004
8 years ago

dl-4=no reverb. I F*cking wish.

the auto volume echo is one of the nicer ones on the pedal. the reverse works out nicely as well. really just get the dl4, if you are looking for simple slap backs, and volume swells, there isn't anyting else in the price range that can do it.

if you are looking for delay's and reverb, you pretty much have 2 choices. rv3, ok pedal. or a magic stomp. you could have it on performance mode, have 3 presets. delay, delay/reverb, and volume swell.

note to self-get back to playing.

scarr's picture
Space City, TX
Jul 2004
8 years ago

Line 6 hasn't done reverb outside of their amps for some reason, so you would need something else there. If you're already running rack gear though, I'd probably recommend the Delay Pro (for the switching reasons ... and tighter control of delay times. If you're going down that route, you can get some cheap Lexicon rack reverbs that sound pretty nice. Of course, that totally abandons stompboxes. You really need to decide which route you want to go for that though.

"And if you go, furious angels will bring you back to me" - Rob Dougan

MrAnderson's picture
Preston, England
Jul 2004
6 years ago

A Line 6 Reverb Modeller would be awesome...

monkeyspunky's picture
London, UK
Dec 2002
4 years ago

hell yeh

Wampler Clean Buffer
EHX HOG (True Bypass Loop)
Line 6 FM4 Filter Modeller
Lovetone Meatball
MXR Distortion + (1977 - True Bypass Mod)
PROCO RAT 2 (Keeley)
Radial Tonebone Hot British
Lovetone Big Cheese
Zvex Mastotron
Zvex Super Duper 2 in 1
Hilton Volume Pedal (to Boss TU2)
True Bypass Strip
Boss CE2 (1978 MIJ)
MXR Carbon Copy
Boss DD3
EHX 2880
Line 6 DL4
Boss DD-20
Eventide Timefactor
Boss RV3

www.theshadowproject.co.uk

jamie.pope's picture
London, UK
Dec 2002
7 years ago

Hmmmmm, for what you're after, i'd consider a Boss RV-3. Lots of people slate the pedal, but it's an okay pedal for what it does.

Other than that, i second the Rack suggestion. If you're already using Rack equipment, i'd consider investing in an Alesis Quadraverb. I believe it contains about everything you'd need. Chorus, Delay, Reverbs etc etc.

If you do decide to purchase one, your Mod Pro may become redundant, which means more money for you.

:)

FOR SALE:

Ernie Ball Jr. Volume pedal
TC Electronic Vintage Tremolo

any's picture
Rotterdamn
Oct 2003
7 years ago

Originally posted by MrAnderson
A Line 6 Reverb Modeller would be awesome...

Enough to wet myself... I hope Line6 is watching these threads... ;)

But to awnser to the question, the Slow Gear won't be had for less then the price of a DL-4/Echo Pro and won't track as good as the DL-4/Echo Pro does.
I would say DL-4/Echo Pro and an EH Holy Grail, that combination is a match made in h*aven...

You might want to get the Echo Pro to go along with the Mod Pro and use a simple midi controller with expressionpedal to have the advantage of 99 presets instead of 3 on the DL-4.
(although 3 presets covers short/long delay and volume swell)
Also, the 'Echo Platter' model on the Echo Pro is great and is not on the DL-4.

As far as the GT-6, I'm not such a fan of the GT-6, it probably does all you want it to do but it's not my type of sound.
Compared to the DL-4/Holy Grail it can't compete for 'vibe'....

scarr's picture
Space City, TX
Jul 2004
8 years ago

I've heard rumours that Line 6 is dropping the studio/stomp modellers. I frequent another forum that Line 6 does look in on. I'm pretty sure we've talked about reverb modellers too. I always thought it'd be neat if they did a compressor modeller for all of the $2000+/unit studio compressors. They'd probably need to do some higher quality conversion and processing to keep it transparant, but that could appeal to a lot of people who can't afford LA-2As, 1176s and Distressors (amongst many others).

"And if you go, furious angels will bring you back to me" - Rob Dougan

preservation's picture
richmond, va
Sep 2002
11 years ago

as far as DL4/DD20 goes...

i had a dd-20...now i've got a dl4...and soon i will add a dd-20 back.

i can't help but think that both will give me ultimate delay possibilites.

for me : dl4 = way easier to operate/enjoy
dd-20 = way more capabilites/ utilities

fender tele w/graphite nut & saddles, d'addario .11s -->
or
70s gibson marauder body & epiphone neck, d'addario .12s -->
zoom UF-01 Ultra Fuzz -->
morley volume pedal -->
BOSS tu-2 chromatic tuner--->
catalinbread Super Chile Picoso Clean Boost -->
indyguitarist-modded SD-1 -->
Frantone "the Sweet" fuzz-->
dano tuna melt tremolo -->
BOSS RV-3 -->
Digitech Digidelay -->
Danelectro fabtone -->
ibanez pm-7 phase modulator-->
ibanez de-7 delay-->
BOSS ps-3 pitchshifter/delay -->
Line 6 DL4 w/ exp. pedal -->
alesis Nanoverb&momentaryswitch-->
microloooper TB box--->
boss volume pedal -->
sovtek mig 60 tube lead head -->
Avatar 4 X 12" cab w/ Eminence M12s

jamie.pope's picture
London, UK
Dec 2002
7 years ago

Originally posted by scarr
I've heard rumours that Line 6 is dropping the studio/stomp modellers.

That would be a great shame if they did, as i'm still after a DL-4.

I've always been hoping that they'd upgrade the entire series, so there'd be a considerable price drop on the DL-4, MM-4 etc.

FOR SALE:

Ernie Ball Jr. Volume pedal
TC Electronic Vintage Tremolo

preservation's picture
richmond, va
Sep 2002
11 years ago

i got my DL4 yesterday from Fed Ex.

now all i can do is piss and giggle, piss and giggle.

fender tele w/graphite nut & saddles, d'addario .11s -->
or
70s gibson marauder body & epiphone neck, d'addario .12s -->
zoom UF-01 Ultra Fuzz -->
morley volume pedal -->
BOSS tu-2 chromatic tuner--->
catalinbread Super Chile Picoso Clean Boost -->
indyguitarist-modded SD-1 -->
Frantone "the Sweet" fuzz-->
dano tuna melt tremolo -->
BOSS RV-3 -->
Digitech Digidelay -->