26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kalaab's picture
Pepperland
Jan 2005
7 years ago

I've agonized over this for years. I've tried pedals in combination, vocoders, and stand-alone synth units, and I still don't know if I've found what I'm looking for.

Currently, I'm using the EHX Micro Synth, which is essentially a one-pedal version of the Boss Slow Gear, a filter pedal, an Octave pedal, and a Fuzz unit. Does it get any better than that in the realm of stomp boxes?

If I had my 'druthers, I'd have a Korg X911, but even then I'm not sure that I'd be satisfied.

Am Std. Strat (Lace Sensors Gold/Silver/Blue, GFS Delay Mod Board) -> Pignose Detonator > Ibanez TS7 (TS9 setting) > Ibanez TS7 (Hot setting) > Rocktron Vertigo > Danelectro Reel Echo > Vox Valvetronix AD50VT

viedub's picture
Jun 2005
7 years ago

Originally posted by Kalaab
I've agonized over this for years. I've tried pedals in combination, vocoders, and stand-alone synth units, and I still don't know if I've found what I'm looking for.

Currently, I'm using the EHX Micro Synth, which is essentially a one-pedal version of the Boss Slow Gear, a filter pedal, an Octave pedal, and a Fuzz unit. Does it get any better than that in the realm of stomp boxes?

If I had my 'druthers, I'd have a Korg X911, but even then I'm not sure that I'd be satisfied.

i know someone who uses an ibanez bass synth and it sounds pretty good

I DONT THINK I NEED ANY NEW PEDALS NOW.
THANKS

SteveR's picture
Apr 2004
8 years ago

boss gt3 or gt5

ck3's picture
Freeport, Maine, USA
Feb 2005
5 years ago

Originally posted by SteveR
boss gt3 or gt5

... or GT-8 ;)

Also, the Akai Deep Impact is pretty impressive ... though it's designed to track a bass signal ... so you are limited to a guitar's lower range.

For Sale/Trade:
Click here for my personal spam thread

Wanted:
EHX Ring Thing; TC Electronic Nova Delay; Sunn Beta Lead Head; compact expression pedal; Schecter Hellcat VI

SteveR's picture
Apr 2004
8 years ago

Originally posted by ck3
... or GT-8 ;)

Also, the Akai Deep Impact is pretty impressive ... though it's designed to track a bass signal ... so you are limited to a guitar's lower range.

I just named the gt3 and 5 because they are very cheap and feature those roland VG algorithyms or wahtever that crap is.

Kalaab's picture
Pepperland
Jan 2005
7 years ago

Originally posted by viedub
i know someone who uses an ibanez bass synth and it sounds pretty good

The thing that a lot of box-based synthesizers lack is true editability. Given, it's hard to dial in Decay on a signal that naturally decays, but I wasn't satisfied with the playability of the Ibanez unit at all. I've also tried the SYB-3 and the Digitech Synth Wah, which were pretty much of the same suit as the Ibanez Bass Synth.

The GT series multieffects are decent, but the editability is too unlike an old-school analog synth.

Essentially, the EHX Micro Synth is as good as it's gotten for me, and it's not especially satisfying. Maybe I'm being too picky, but there's got to be a non-MIDI method of turning a guitar into a reasonably "realistic" synth.
:(

Am Std. Strat (Lace Sensors Gold/Silver/Blue, GFS Delay Mod Board) -> Pignose Detonator > Ibanez TS7 (TS9 setting) > Ibanez TS7 (Hot setting) > Rocktron Vertigo > Danelectro Reel Echo > Vox Valvetronix AD50VT

ASHJN's picture
California
Jan 2005
8 years ago

For intense synthesizing, check out the Roland Guitar Synths like the GR-20 and GR-33

For Sale:

SKB 8 Space Roto Rack
SKB Velcro Shelf
Rocktron MIDI Mate

ck3's picture
Freeport, Maine, USA
Feb 2005
5 years ago

Originally posted by Kalaab
The thing that a lot of box-based synthesizers lack is true editability. Given, it's hard to dial in Decay on a signal that naturally decays, but I wasn't satisfied with the playability of the Ibanez unit at all. I've also tried the SYB-3 and the Digitech Synth Wah, which were pretty much of the same suit as the Ibanez Bass Synth.

The GT series multieffects are decent, but the editability is too unlike an old-school analog synth.

Essentially, the EHX Micro Synth is as good as it's gotten for me, and it's not especially satisfying. Maybe I'm being too picky, but there's got to be a non-MIDI method of turning a guitar into a reasonably "realistic" synth.
:(

The GT-8 has two different faux analog syntheisizer effects, each with multiple modes/waveforms/parameters/etc.

For Sale/Trade:
Click here for my personal spam thread

Wanted:
EHX Ring Thing; TC Electronic Nova Delay; Sunn Beta Lead Head; compact expression pedal; Schecter Hellcat VI

Kalaab's picture
Pepperland
Jan 2005
7 years ago

That may be worth looking into. It's harder than hell to get a guitar synth to do anything besides sine- or square-wave.

Aenima9990's picture
Pawleys Island, SC
Oct 2004
3 years ago

*cough*FM-4*cough*

Kalaab's picture
Pepperland
Jan 2005
7 years ago

Originally posted by ASHJN
For intense synthesizing, check out the Roland Guitar Synths like the GR-20 and GR-33

I'm looking for a non-data route. The only conceivable path for a data-centric synthesis metod (like the GK pickup series) would be to go from the pickup to a synth with a proprietary 13-pin input and a standard MIDI 5-pin output, and from there to an analog synthesizer with MIDI-in. I hate to think of having to have a synthesizer unit that's used exclusively for converting 13-pin into 5-pin. I love my Rolands, but I refuse to be a sucker over a technology that's just a glorified version of a serial connection that's been around since 1983. So, in a word, thanks but no thanks. :D