42 posts / 0 new
Last post
ahmadj's picture
Oakville, Ontario
Apr 2005
10 years ago

Hey, i was wondering if anyone could help me out with my rig....i am looking to get a similar sound as slash and i was just looking for some suggestions.

voodoo_boy's picture
sweden
Aug 2005
7 years ago

guitar with (atleast) one humbucker->wah->maybe a talkbox-> some amp with good distortion(Preferbly Marshall)

you should be able to figure this out by yourself...;)

welcome to the forum by the way:p

Majin_GeoDooD's picture
Woodbridge, VA
May 2004
7 years ago

Les Paul with SD Alnico II pups -> Marshall Jubilee

That'll get you all the Slash you need :)

Guitars:
Orville by Gibson Les Paul Custom (EMG 85/85)
Orville by Gibson SG Standard '61 RI (Gibson "The Original")
Orville Flying V (JB/59)
MIJ Fender Strat '54 RI
Warmoth Partscaster (EMG 89/SA/SA with SPC)
SX SST Ash P90
Alvarez PD80SC

Amps:
Marshall JMP MkII (100w)
Ampeg V-4B
Epi Valve Junior

Main Rig
Guitar -> Boss DD-6 -> Boss CE-5 -> Boss SD-1 -> RMC Wizard Wah -> ISP Decimator -> Korg DTR-1000 -> BBE 482i -> Marshall JMP -> Marshall 1960A

Complete list of my massive amount of gear

michael-callari's picture
May 2005
5 years ago

Originally posted by Majin GeoDooD
Les Paul with SD Alnico II pups -> Marshall Jubilee

That'll get you all the Slash you need :)

I agree, but you forgot effects. Slash uses a ton of wah, so get a wah-wah pedal. While you're at it, go ahead and get a delay pedal (Slash used one for Welcome to the Jungle, and a few other songs, I think).

SGROCKER0791's picture
Jun 2005
4 years ago

Hey, don't forget the Chorus!

michael-callari's picture
May 2005
5 years ago

Originally posted by SGROCKER0791
Hey, don't forget the Chorus!

I was gonna say that but I wasn't sure if Slash used chorus or not. Now that I think about it, it does sound like he's using chorus on the intro to Paradise City.

SGROCKER0791's picture
Jun 2005
4 years ago

Originally posted by michael-callari
I was gonna say that but I wasn't sure if Slash used chorus or not. Now that I think about it, it does sound like he's using chorus on the intro to Paradise City.

Yeah, it could be Slash. BTW, he uses Marshall Signature JCM900 now.

Elkvis's picture
River Falls, WI
Aug 2004
6 years ago

also keep in mind that slash almost always uses his neck pickup. I never understood why, but he makes it sound pretty good.

Tyler111's picture
Oct 2005
10 years ago

This is to set the record straight about the Man's rig. This is from Adam Day and Slash himself from several recent publications
Amps:
2 Marshall 2555SL Slash Signature 100 watt Head (dirty)
2 Marshall 2555SL Slash Signature 100 watt Head (clean)
2 Marshall 2555SL Slash Signature 100 watt Head (talkbox/hot spare)
6 Marshall JCM Slash (straight) with Vintage 30 Celestions

Effects Loop:
Boss dd-3 delay
MXR 10-EQ (for solo boost)

Effects rack:
Custom Shop Dunlop Rack Wah
Yamaha spx-900 Chorus
DBX-166 Compressor
Rocktron Hush 2cx
Heil Talkbox

Main Guitar:2 '59 Handmade Les Paul Replica pickups are a mystery but most certainly low output humbucker like Lindy Fralins or Duncan Alnico IIs.

There it is and BTW he NEVER used any jcm 900 that I am aware of he used jcm 800s on Appetite, and still does in the studio.

SGROCKER0791's picture
Jun 2005
4 years ago

Originally posted by Tyler111
There it is and BTW he NEVER used any jcm 900 that I am aware of he used jcm 800s on Appetite, and still does in the studio.

I did some reseach and he did use JCM800. My bad.

adrien's picture
Paris, France
Apr 2003
4 years ago

tyler111 said it all.

you can go to http://www.snakepit.org/ for his settings.
With a Les Paul into a masrhall slash/jubilee and his settings, you'll get the exact same tone. I can tell, I own both.

The problem is, you won't be able to get both his clean and dist tone since he uses an AB setup (his amps are single EQ amps). So you gotta buy 2 of them!

You need to turn up the master to get the necessary amount of gain. That's VERY loud. A hot plate would be welcome.

The clean amp needs KT88 power tubes in order to stay clean at those high volumes.

I wouldn't recommend any other marshall, since the slash/jubilee has a very distinctive distortion. A jcm 800 would do for cleans though.

From time to time I send Dwight faxes. From himself. From the future.