20 posts / 0 new
Last post
greekbastard's picture
AZ
Aug 2005
3 years ago

I tried searching for this, nada.

Anybody have an idea what either Hetfield or Hammit were using for this era?

Thanks,

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/TWi...app_2405167945

Guitars:1978 Gibson RD Artist, 1981 Gibson Exlorer E/2, Ibanez DT-350, 1976 Ibanez Super 70's Goldtop LP, Two Ibanez Phil Collen X-Series Destroyers (Black and Blueburst), Electra Omega X230 & Electra MPC X310

Amp: Sunn Beta Lead, Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Cab: Sunn 610L (1 Silverface/1 Black)

screamingdaisy's picture
Off the deep end.
Sep 2003
3 weeks ago

James

Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+
Marshall JMP/JCM Heads
Roland JC120 Combo
Marshall 4x12
Mesa Boogie 4x12
Mesa Boogie Heads slaved into Marshal amps

Kirk

Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+
Mesa Boogie Stratagy 400 power amp
ADA MP1 preamp -Used along with his tube screamer for leads. Used without TS for clean
Aphex Parametric EQ
Ibanez Tube Screamer-Solo boost
Mesa Boogie Heads slaved into Marshalls

The main rhythm tracks were generally done with the MKIIC+, then they'd layer with the other amps.

R. Mutt

Guitar -> Wah -> Amp -> Cab

greekbastard's picture
AZ
Aug 2005
3 years ago

Thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/TWi...app_2405167945

Guitars:1978 Gibson RD Artist, 1981 Gibson Exlorer E/2, Ibanez DT-350, 1976 Ibanez Super 70's Goldtop LP, Two Ibanez Phil Collen X-Series Destroyers (Black and Blueburst), Electra Omega X230 & Electra MPC X310

Amp: Sunn Beta Lead, Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Cab: Sunn 610L (1 Silverface/1 Black)

petejt's picture
Australia
Dec 2005
10 years ago

James used a similar rig to Master of Puppets.

He was sick of the typical Marshall sound, so he pushed the **** out of his Marshall JMP 2203 by slaving the preamp of a Mesa/Boogie MarkIIC+ into its poweramp.

James may have also used a Marshall JCM800 head (poweramp) for the layering tracks.

An Aphex Parametric EQ (or 3) were used to heavily cut out the midrange. But I think there is a tiny bit of fine midrange to get that distinctive tone you hear.

The amp output was put through 2 Marshall 4x12 cabs (fitted with Celestion Vintage 30w speakers), set side-by-side and closely miked.

Then the whole recording track was layered 3 times or so to get the extra thickness, in effect compensating for the lack of midrange. I think alot of mixing desk equalizing was done too.
Although it sounds awesome and seething, it can get a little mushy and gutless.

Unlike the Master of Puppets album, James used (and forever uses) his white ESP Explorer with EMG-81 pickups. His other ESP Explorers have an EMG-60 in the neck, but that one has two 81s.

Later on, James ditched using Marshall amps live, and used a Mesa/Boogie poweramp instead, the Strategy 400. In the 90s and now James uses the TriAxis preamp rather than the IIC+ head's preamp.

James got his clean tone by using a Roland Jazz Chorus-120 combo. He's been using that amp on every album and used the head version live. But since 2003 and even at the recent Rolling Stones rig, he uses the combo, you can see it in the pics.

So, the equation is

James's crunch tone = ESP Explorer w/EMG 81 pickups + Mesa/Boogie MarkIIc+ head (preamp) + Aphex Parametric EQs + Marshall JMP 2203 head (poweramp) + Marshall 4x12 cabs w/Celestion Vintage 30w speakers.

AND ALOT OF LAYERING!

Guitar
-ESP ltd EC-100qm, w/Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader (bridge) & Seymour Duncan SH-2 Jazz (neck)

-BBE Sonic Stomp Maximiser

-Line6 POD xt Live

-ALTO MQU215 MKII Dual 15-band Graphic EQ

-Mesa/Boogie 20/20 Stereo poweramp

-Two 2x12 speakers

the_todd's picture
Lancaster, PA
Oct 2002
6 years ago

Hetfield has said in several interviews that he stopped using the Marshall's for Boogies around the Master of Puppets era...so i am going to dispute what you are saying about him using them in the studio.

And, he only aquired the ESP explorers in Nov 1988, so he couldnt have used them for the recording....he used the Gibson's with EMG's.

I watched the making of the black album dvd last night at my Bassist's place. Gotta say...hell of a lot of Marshall's lying around so guess they were using them but maybe with Mesa's too although I saw none.

So funny to watch Kirk and Bob Rock argueing about the solo on Wherever I may roam. Bob's like "man it's gotta start from down low and work up towards a screaming ending, y'know?" to which Kirk replies "na, what I'm thinkin is to start high then bring it right down and build up toward the end again" and Bob doesn't think it'll work so starts ripping it outta Kirk to which a prompt "f**k you man!" is issued after which he belts out the solo that was the final take on the album. Take a listen/watch if you get the chance and need a laugh!

16stone's picture
TX
Apr 2004
8 years ago

Originally posted by Jazzmuffin
I watched the making of the black album dvd last night at my Bassist's place. Gotta say...hell of a lot of Marshall's lying around so guess they were using them but maybe with Mesa's too although I saw none.

So funny to watch Kirk and Bob Rock argueing about the solo on Wherever I may roam. Bob's like "man it's gotta start from down low and work up towards a screaming ending, y'know?" to which Kirk replies "na, what I'm thinkin is to start high then bring it right down and build up toward the end again" and Bob doesn't think it'll work so starts ripping it outta Kirk to which a prompt "f**k you man!" is issued after which he belts out the solo that was the final take on the album. Take a listen/watch if you get the chance and need a laugh!

i think they were talking about the unforgiven solo

VittyD's picture
May 2004
9 years ago

That is a great movie, and yes, they were talking about the solo in The Unforgiven.

Check out this site: www.encycmet.com , it has an equiptment section that goes album by album listing the gear that each band member used. It also has a ton of other info on there. Hope that is useful to you.

Vit

Fender American Strat -> Korg DT10 Tuner -> Dunlop Crybaby 535Q -> Fulltone '69 -> Fender Blues Jr. or '65 Deluxe Reverb

petejt's picture
Australia
Dec 2005
10 years ago

Originally posted by VittyD Check out this site: www.encycmet.com , it has an equiptment section that goes album by album listing the gear that each band member used. It also has a ton of other info on there. Hope that is useful to you.

Sorry to say this, but Encycmet.com just rip stuff off from other sites. Half the time it's inaccurate. Nothing is their own (maybe some photos).

http://www.montyjay.com
has much more accurate information- the dude that runs that site has a friend who works at Randy Staub's studio (Randy was Bob Rock's recording engineer in the 1990s). So he's ALOT more reliable.

Plus, he has actual PHOTOS of the guitar rigs! That prove that James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett were still using Marshalls in 1986.

But they used them differently, they slaved the preamp of the Mesa/Boogie into the Marshall heads.

Guitar
-ESP ltd EC-100qm, w/Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader (bridge) & Seymour Duncan SH-2 Jazz (neck)

-Line6 POD xt Live

-Two 2x12 speakers

the_todd's picture
Lancaster, PA
Oct 2002
6 years ago

Plus, he has actual PHOTOS of the guitar rigs! That prove that James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett were still using Marshalls in 1986.

But they used them differently, they slaved the preamp of the Mesa/Boogie into the Marshall heads.

yeah, but we were talking about the ...And Justice For All tone, not the 1986 M.O.P. tone.

petejt's picture
Australia
Dec 2005
10 years ago

Originally posted by the todd
Hetfield has said in several interviews that he stopped using the Marshall's for Boogies around the Master of Puppets era...so i am going to dispute what you are saying about him using them in the studio.

And, he only aquired the ESP explorers in Nov 1988, so he couldnt have used them for the recording....he used the Gibson's with EMG's.

I never said that James Hetfield used ESP guitars to record Master of Puppets.

James Hetfield used a GIBSON Explorer to do doubletracks for Master of Puppets. No EMGs, just stock pickups.

That Gibson was also the main guitar used to record the $5.98 EP: Garage Days Rerevisited in 1987. But I think EMGs were put in it by then.

James DEFINITELY used ESP Explorers w/EMGs to record ...And Justice For All in 1988, you can hear it in the tone, that "neng" sound. Just go visit http://www.metallica.com/its, in the Studio Diary, James Hetfield made a post about using the guitar that was on AJFA, but now a cream colour because of it's age.

About the Marshalls, yes, James stopped using them, in the normal way.
As I said, James slaved the Boogie amp into the Marshall head, for both Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All.

He even used the same combination for Metallica (Black Album) in 1990, but also used a Mesa/Boogie Mark IV (as it is), an ADA MP-1 preamp, and also a Marshall amp on its own for extra midrange (modded by Jose Arrendondo, but not the same as the modded Marshall from 1983).

Randy Staub has said that Marshall contributed alot to the 'Black Album' tone.

All four amps were used to record the triple-guitar tracks for each song, three layers of massive sound!

But live, since 1988, James stopped using Marshalls altogether, in fact, forever. Since 1988 he's only used Boogie amps, recently he's also used a Wizard Modern Classic (1998), Diezel VH4 (2003-2004), and Krank Revolution 1 & Krankenstein (Rolling Stone gig), ALONGSIDE to his Boogie preamp and poweramp.

I'd love to see a GuitarGeek diagram of James' Black Album studio setup!

Guitar

-Line6 POD xt Live

-Two 2x12 speakers