14 posts / 0 new
Last post
booshi's picture
State College, PA
Apr 2003
11 years ago

I'm heading off to school soon, and since my amp is going to take up a lot of space I won't have room for a stereo. I was wondering if I could run my portable mp3 player through it, or would that ruin it? It's a traynor ycv 40. Thanks

"We ain't got no more holly leaves over there,
we ate that whole bush yesterday.
That's why the bathroom hurts so bad."
- Meatwad

oi_oi_oi's picture
Jul 2003
10 years ago

if there is a line out on the player it should be fine. that will skip the amp stages in the mp3 player.

cin's picture
Australia
Nov 2002
6 years ago

guitar amps aren't like hifi amps man, they distort a lot (even when clean, they're technically distorting), and the circuits aren't built to put out hifi frequency ranges, nor are the speakers.

There is a potential of ruining the amp (due to the bass frequencies killing the speakers), but it'd also sound like complete crap.

Get yourself a nice comfy set of headphones. :)

State's picture
Toronto
Oct 2002
7 years ago

It's probably not a great idea to run recorded music through a guitar amp. The range of frequencies could kill your speaker and it'll probably sound like total ass.

I put my MySpace url in my sig cause that's the kinda guy I am.

www.myspace.com/welcometobatcountry

The_User's picture
South Australia
Dec 2002
4 years ago

thats really not a good idea.

user gear

The End

kinhad's picture
Richmond, B.C., Canada
May 2003
9 years ago

why run a portable mp3 player through an amp? you see, there are things called headphones...

My Band: Retrofire

Guitars
White Fender MIM Fat Stratocaster (w/ Graphtech Saddles)
Unknown MIJ Stratocaster "Firewood" (w/ Graphtech Saddles+Nut, Push/Pull HB Split Switch)
Metallic Blue Ibanez GRX20 (w/ EMG Select HB in bridge)
Cort Earth 70 (Satin Finish) Acoustic Guitar
El Degas Classical Guitar

Amps/Effects
ROLAND JAZZ CHORUS 120 (Recently Aquired)
Marshall AVT20
Randall RG15XM
---------------------
Boss DS-1
MXR Distortion+ (broken)

Other:
Jim Dunlop USA Nylon .88mm Picks
DR Electric Guitar Strings

string_slinger's picture
Newcastle, UK
Aug 2003
11 years ago

just get some headphones or a set of those little speakers that plug into the headphone jack...

gear:
Epiphone les paul x-treme
Yamaha 112
Marshall vs100
Boss DS-2 turbo distortion
Boss BF-2 (jap)
Peavey DSC-4 chorus (peavey 3 letter range f**kin rock!)

MotherHumbucker's picture
Boston, MA
Aug 2003
8 years ago

Ugh................

Rookies wanting to kill their amp.

Buy a small boom box man.

Your friendly neighborhood guitar grandpa.............

1992 Fender Twin Reverb (Reissue 85W), 1997 Mesa Dual Rectifier Solo Head (100W), 2002 Marshall 1960A 4X12 Cab, Morley A/B switch, THD Hot Plate, Vintage Pro-Co Rat distortion (Used on Fender Twin), Holy Grail Reverb (Used on the Mesa), MXR 90 Phase, Ibanez Chorus, IbanezTube Screamer TS-9, Budda Bud Wah, Boss Chromatic Tuner, Boss Digital Delay, Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus , Tortex picks, Blue Steel Strings 9's and 11's, Guitars: 1999 Gibson Les Paul Standard (Cherryburst), Early 90's Gibson SG Standard (Black), Late 80's Ibanez E/X Black & White Pickguard (humbucker, single coil, humbucker. whammy), 2000 Ibanez Electric Acoustic, 80's Hunk of crap Fender Acoustic, Brand Spanking New Martin HD-28 Acoustic.

Travis's picture
Aug 2003
11 years ago

Will you be having a computer? I assume that you don't need your speakers to move around with you (considering the amp is pretty stationary as well), so if you'll have a desktop or laptop, consider just getting a good set of speakers for that. You can always play your songs off the computer instead of the mp3 player, and you can plug the speakers into your player as well.

As others have said, avoid the amp. I've heard you can damage it, but even if that wasn't true, amplifiers are designed to have a much different frequency response than a pair of stereo speakers.

apocalypsecow's picture
Texas
Feb 2003
9 years ago

a boom box costs...what? $30 at wal mart?

| TokyoPulp.com | My gear | My Ebay Auctions |

Who the Author of this Production is, is wholly unnecessary to the Public, as the Object for Attention is the DOCTRINE ITSELF, not the MAN. Yet it may not be unnecessary to say, That he is unconnected with any Party, and under no sort of Influence public or private, but the influence of reason and principle.

MotherHumbucker's picture
Boston, MA
Aug 2003
8 years ago

And having your amp serviced for acting like "Corky" using your amp as a CD playing stereo will run you more than 30 stones.......

Your friendly neighborhood guitar grandpa.............

1992 Fender Twin Reverb (Reissue 85W), 1997 Mesa Dual Rectifier Solo Head (100W), 2002 Marshall 1960A 4X12 Cab, Morley A/B switch, THD Hot Plate, Vintage Pro-Co Rat distortion (Used on Fender Twin), Holy Grail Reverb (Used on the Mesa), MXR 90 Phase, Ibanez Chorus, IbanezTube Screamer TS-9, Budda Bud Wah, Boss Chromatic Tuner, Boss Digital Delay, Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus , Tortex picks, Blue Steel Strings 9's and 11's, Guitars: 1999 Gibson Les Paul Standard (Cherryburst), Early 90's Gibson SG Standard (Black), Late 80's Ibanez E/X Black & White Pickguard (humbucker, single coil, humbucker. whammy), 2000 Ibanez Electric Acoustic, 80's Hunk of crap Fender Acoustic, Brand Spanking New Martin HD-28 Acoustic.