16 posts / 0 new
Last post
adamthemute's picture
Winnipeg, MB
May 2007
8 years ago

I currently have a Marshall 4x12 JCM 900 Lead 1960 cabinet. I was never blown away by the tone, but it could be the head I'm using.

Anyways, there's a cheap Mesa Boogie 4x12 cab for sale in my area. I'm wondering if there's any huge difference between the 2 cabs or if there's some Mesa enthusiasts that would care to share with me the wonders of the Mesa Boogie.

mesaboogie6l6's picture
Dayton Ohio
Mar 2006
8 years ago

I've tried Marshall cabs with my amp, it doesn't handle the low end very good at all.

It also depends on what speakers are in the cab, either way, look at how Marshall cabs are built and look at Mesa's. Marshall makes me think of particle board and plastic when I hear their cabs. There may be a huge difference between them, and there may not, you won't know until you plug in and see for yourself.

What head are you using?

Gibson Explorer, Mesa Mark III Series 300 (Coliseum), Mesa 4x12 standard slant and straight with V30, Boss TU-2, NS-2, CH-1, Aphex guitar Exciter, Monster Cables, D'addario EXL140 strings, Jim Dunlop straplocks, Jim Dunlop JazzIII picks, Eurotubes supplied by JJ Electronics, Furman PL plus II

Supergrunged's picture
Saco, ME
Feb 2005
10 months ago

Depends on the cab. The vintage ones have the top as an open back. They either used EVM200s or Celestion C90s. The newer ones I prefer. Oversized with vintage 30s. Mesas are built better in my opinion though. Marshalls are great, but you're right when they seem very bland. It all goes with your tastes though. Try the cab out if you can

Gibson Les Paul Standard that's been to hell and back with me, Charvel Model 6 modded to a 5FX, tortex wedge picks, Maxon OD-9, 80's Ibanez AD-9, Mesa Stuido .22 probably other stuff off my shelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny-b-brown
strats. It's like their own form of puberty.

adamthemute's picture
Winnipeg, MB
May 2007
8 years ago

The guy hasn't responded back so I'm not 100% sure what model the Mesa cab is. Looking at Ebay prices, they aren't that expensive anyways.

I'm using a Marshall 8100 Valvestate 100V head. I haven't tried any other heads with the Marshall cab, so the kind of bland tone may mostly be from the head (?).

I'm into heavier stuff like Isis and Callisto, post-rock. ideally I'd like a Sunn Model T or first gen Mesa Double Rect heads but well...kinda pricey.

Good&Loud's picture
Sao Paulo Brazil
Dec 2006
8 years ago

Originally posted by adamthemute
I'm using a Marshall 8100 Valvestate 100V head. I haven't tried any other heads with the Marshall cab, so the kind of bland tone may mostly be from the head (?).

The Marshall Cab may not be the Best, but sure the problem is the Valvestate.
They don't sound good, whatever the Cab you're playing.

IMO, it would be a much better upgrade for you, to get another Head.

And for you to get a better Amp than a Valvestate, it doesn't have to be something very expensive like a Mesa Retc.

Even a JCM900 will sound much better.

Laneys, VH, GH Series, not very expensive, and great sounds for Heavy Music.

Gibson SG Standard & Explorer w/ SD's '59 & Duncan Custom
Marshall 2204 50w '88, MESA Boogie .50 Caliber +, 4x12 1960B
CryBaby>Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe>Si Fuzz>TU-2>OC-2>Green Ringer>Envelope Filter>Mosfet Booster>SC-10>PQ-50

lobster's picture
Jun 2007
9 years ago

I used to own a Mesa 4-12 cab, and now I am using a Marshall 2-12. To my ears, there isn't a major difference, but the Marshall I'm using (DSL 100) definitely sounds a little better through the Marshall speaker. I don't know why, but it just sounds clearer and more pure.

I'm beginning to believe more and more that it's best to match amps with the same brand of speakers.

But the best advice is to always trust your own ears. Go to the store and test the crap out of them. Don't be timid, it's your money so you have a right to do exaustive research.

hairychris444's picture
London, UK
Jun 2005
7 years ago

If you haven't done so already make sure that you have V30s loaded in the Marshall. Should be a cheaper option over buying a new cab.

The difference compared to the G12T-75s is huge.

This'll get rid of the 'scratchy' sound but I can't say that the Valvestate is the best either.

Call me Chris, or Hairy. Or Gertrude. I've always wanted to be called Gertrude...

Blackmachine B7 Camphor Burl w/BKPs
Blackmachine B2 Snakewood w/BKPs
Boss NS-2/Ibanez TS-9 (****ogman 808 Mod)/Ibanez AD-9/Boss TU-2/
Diezel Einstein Prototype
-> Framus Dragon 4x12

+ Lots of other crap is sitting around my flat!

I make noises using this stuff

falldowngoboom4's picture
Omaha,NE
Apr 2007
6 years ago

Mesa hands sown. If I get a new amp that is a half stack it will be a Peavey Windsor and a Mesa Recto 4X12.

Chuck Norris doesn't USE distortion he IS distortion.

Quote:

Originally posted by shinedownrocker
**** did the original poster quote himself? Hotdamn!
Originally posted by Ambiance
hire a hobo to push them for you

Supergrunged's picture
Saco, ME
Feb 2005
10 months ago

I'd say get the new head first. To be honest, thats a decent cab, though I'm glad I got rid of mine, but I think a new head is in order for you. Seriously, you want a Duel Recto, nows the time to get them, because the 2 channel Duels are going up in price.

Gibson Les Paul Standard that's been to hell and back with me, Charvel Model 6 modded to a 5FX, tortex wedge picks, Maxon OD-9, 80's Ibanez AD-9, Mesa Stuido .22 probably other stuff off my shelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny-b-brown
strats. It's like their own form of puberty.

mesadualrec1988's picture
Jan 2005
9 years ago

I'm also thinking about trading in my Marshall 1960a cab for a Mesa cab loaded with V30's. Some people on this site told me V30's are the speaker to get for metal.

However I don't think you should be worried about the cab right now. It would be smarter to get a new head first.

Good&Loud's picture
Sao Paulo Brazil
Dec 2006
8 years ago

Originally posted by Supergrunged
I'd say get the new head first.

+98765432123456789

Originally posted by Supergrunged
To be honest, thats a decent cab, though I'm glad I got rid of mine, but I think a new head is in order for you. Seriously, you want a Duel Recto, nows the time to get them, because the 2 channel Duels are going up in price.

Even if he doesn't have the $ for a Dual Recto Head, get a Single, or a .05 Caliber, or a JCM900, anything is better than a Valvestate.
Laneys are good choices, affordable, very Good Sound and reliable.

Gibson SG Standard & Explorer w/ SD's '59 & Duncan Custom
Marshall 2204 50w '88, MESA Boogie .50 Caliber +, 4x12 1960B
CryBaby>Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe>Si Fuzz>TU-2>OC-2>Green Ringer>Envelope Filter>Mosfet Booster>SC-10>PQ-50