39 posts / 0 new
Last post
XpertDoctor's picture
Nov 2004
10 years ago

I am a tube amp guy and I believe that no solid state amp is better/has a better tone than a $1000+ tube amp. Will anyone prove me wrong? I have heard the Tech21 Trademark/SansAmp is better than some tube amps.

My gear: Ran Custom RR with a SD JB in the bridge and a SD '59 in the neck->BBE Sonic Maximizer->Modded Proco Rat 2(we gave it more gain and a Bass Boost)->JCM 800 modded by me and Mordor to have four imputs, more gain, and our own voicing(we share it)-> Avatar Speakers 2x12 Cab with Vintage 30's

screamingdaisy's picture
Off the deep end.
Sep 2003
1 week ago

Solid state amps have an edge if you're looking for versitility (ie, you want something that sounds like a Fender, Marshall, Boogie, Bogner, ect....).

And, solid state amps do tend to sound better than tube amps at low volumes.

But, when it comes to high volumes, nothing beats a good tube amp.

R. Mutt

Guitar -> Wah -> Amp -> Cab

XpertDoctor's picture
Nov 2004
10 years ago

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
Solid state amps have an edge if you're looking for versitility (ie, you want something that sounds like a Fender, Marshall, Boogie, Bogner, ect....).

And, solid state amps do tend to sound better than tube amps at low volumes.

But, when it comes to high volumes, nothing beats a good tube amp.

An example?

My gear: Ran Custom RR with a SD JB in the bridge and a SD '59 in the neck->BBE Sonic Maximizer->Modded Proco Rat 2(we gave it more gain and a Bass Boost)->JCM 800 modded by me and Mordor to have four imputs, more gain, and our own voicing(we share it)-> Avatar Speakers 2x12 Cab with Vintage 30's

screamingdaisy's picture
Off the deep end.
Sep 2003
1 week ago

Originally posted by XpertDoctor
An example?

SansAmps and POD's have versitility.

Both sound good at low volumes.

But at high volumes, my tube amp sounds better.

R. Mutt

Guitar -> Wah -> Amp -> Cab

Well are you looking for a back up or for something to play along with your tube amp.Either way the best solid state amps ive found have been the mode four since it looks cool as **** but I dont like the tone but it has a decent bottom end and the randall vmax is good for recto like tones and bottom end.

overdrive_zep's picture
Westlake Village, CA
Mar 2004
10 years ago

...VOX cambridge 30...

Will blow your tube amp out of the water at low volumes and maybe high volumes it depends...

Wanted: (when the time is right)
1) Fender 1972 Thinline Telecaster

2) Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

3) A job or a winning lottery ticket

XpertDoctor's picture
Nov 2004
10 years ago

Originally posted by sickwindsor
Well are you looking for a back up or for something to play along with your tube amp.Either way the best solid state amps ive found have been the mode four since it looks cool as **** but I dont like the tone but it has a decent bottom end and the randall vmax is good for recto like tones and bottom end.

Thats a hybrid amp. It has preamp tubes.

ClemencyThis!Ry's picture
Apr 2003
7 years ago

The Roland JC-120 is a solid state amp

And that supposedly has the best cleans around. I can't say personally because i've never played one, but every review i've seen of them has been excellent

563's picture
Seattle
Oct 2004
9 years ago

I am a tube amp guy and I believe that no solid state amp is better/has a better tone than a $1000+ tube amp. Will anyone prove me wrong? I have heard the Tech21 Trademark/SansAmp is better than some tube amps.

Sound being subjective, 'better' is just what works for you. For some folk that'll be solid state, for some tube. Depends on what that player is after.

That said, the solid states amps I've liked:

Acoustic Control Corp - I have a 117, which is kinda like a 150 in combo form with a 12". They have a unique sound. Not as organic as some ss amps, but not as brittle as others.

Polytone - Remind me alot of the Roland Cubes. Some folks swear by them. And I wont argue their quality. They just don't appeal to me like some others.

Randall - the 70's-80's orange labeled ones. Very similar organic quality to Gallien-Kruegers bass amps. A thicker sound than Acoustic, but not as nuetral as the Polytone and Roland amps.

Before there was theory, there was music - Keiji Haino

The Luna Moth
The DOD
The Acoustic Black Widow

doingtheunstuck's picture
Vancouver, B.C.
Sep 2003
6 months ago

this post is stupid, IMO. why? because as i used to argue, it isn't "SS vs tubes" but "SS + tubes"

they're both different technologies and have different strong points. to be 100% honest, im' sick of seeing SS technologies wasted on "tube modeling."

bleck.

to me, the stereotypical "cranked tube amp" is unsuitable. to be honest, i do want a loud tube amp, but there is NOTHING out there which gives me everything i want. what is it that i want? loud enough to make you sick if you're in the room with it, no hint of break up, no tonal coloring and especially with how loud of an amp i want, i want the least amount of ear fatigue i can achieve (which from what i've read, is largely equated with harmonics which're clipped beyond the second... hmm...)

SS can get close to the sound and such that i want a hell of a lot easier than tube... i'm just unlucky when it comes to ear fatigue and seem to be exceptionally sensitive to it anymore. worst part is, it started to develop pretty quickly after i picked up guitar. ugh. making a tube amp do what i want is considerably harder though....

thus one point where SS rocks.

and daisy mentioned another thing, flexibility... which can actually be partly because of the super clean power amp possibilities, IMO.

Good read

Thats a hybrid amp. It has preamp tubes.

So..................Why wouldnt you want that?Besides you didnt answer my first question.