26 posts / 0 new
Last post
superjesus117's picture
Boston
Nov 2008
7 years ago

So currently I am using a Vetta II for my punk and alternative stuff, but I want to leave that in my studio, were I give lessons, so I don't have to put hours on my tubes.

So I was wondering what would be a good amp to fit this
I know Steve Jones used a Fender Twin Reverb, and Dave Grohl uses a Mesa

I know Marshall is common, but I ****ing hate Marshall, so what do you guys think would be a good fit?

IM SO SERIOUS RIGHT NOW

Count_Orlok's picture
PDX
Feb 2009
7 years ago

why do you hate marshall?

this is hard to answer because I've seen almost every brand used on stage within the punk/hardcore scene. Adding the alternative part to it tells me you may want a mesa boogie.

I briefly played in a 3 guitar band, and the other two had a tri rectifier and double rectifier. They dialed in pretty descent punk tones (especially the one that was played through a marshall cab) and they could quickly put it into metal territory and then "alternative" land.

I'm not sure though, I dont know what kind of sound you want.

I personally really like mesa boogie .50 calibers because they sound awesome and can dial in alot of rad tones, the fact that you can pick em up for less than $600 is a big plus as well.

cubby's picture
Over there...
Jan 2003
2 years ago

When I think of punk and alternative bands of the 80's and 90's a lot of them used solid state/digital stuff like Randall and Roland. Mesa became popular with the alternative players in the mid-90's. If you can get and have a use for something like a Fender Twin then it's always a good route as long as you don't mind shaping your tone with effects and since you're on this site I'd imagine you don't.

Pics of my stuff are available here:

http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthrea...659#post581659

"I'm not usually a praying man but-Save me Superman!"

"I think I brained my damage."

"O.K. brain, I don't like you and you don't like me. Let's just get this over with and I'll go back to killing you with beer."

jm417's picture
Peoria, IL
Jan 2008
6 months ago

Hmm. You can pretty much use anything. Think of it this way: In the early days of punk the members of the band were usually unemployed or students so they were largely broke and used whatever they could. Many guys used PA heads with a distortion pedal. Solid state amps were pretty common. Other than that, it was mostly pawn shop stuff. A dual rec does pretty good punk sounds though. plus it can switch to different styles easier than a Marshall or Fender can.

Telecaster/USA Stratocaster/Gibson LP Std>Korg Pitchblack>Fulltone Clyde Deluxe>Hermida Zendrive>Rockett Pedals FlexDrive>Hollytronics Triangle Big Muff>MXR EQ>MXR Phase 90 script RI>DMB Pedals Lunar Echo>TC Electronic Nova Reverb>BBE Sonic Stomp>Mesa Dual Rectifier>Weber MASS 100>Avatar 2X12 w/V30's

Other stuff: Alvarez MF80C, Keeley TS9 and DS-1, Devilworks Jezebel, Deja Vibe, POG2, Vox V848, Spring Chicken, Tone Bender, '68 Fender Blender, Shredmaster, Small Clone, Fender Hot Rod Deville

MassacredHatred's picture
Texas
Jan 2004
4 years ago

Well, which amp models are you using from the Vetta? That might be a good place to start.

Rig:
KxK Sii-7 -> Fractal Axe-FX Ultra-> Carvin DCM 1540L -> Vader 4x12

superjesus117's picture
Boston
Nov 2008
7 years ago
Originally Posted by MassacredHatred

Well, which amp models are you using from the Vetta? That might be a good place to start.

I use a lot of amp modes with the Vetta II, but like I said I want to leave it in the Studio for lessons, so im not putting hours on tubes.

Thinking it over, a Dual Rectifier should get job done...

TO EBAY!!

IM SO SERIOUS RIGHT NOW

superjesus117's picture
Boston
Nov 2008
7 years ago
Originally Posted by Count Orlok

why do you hate marshall?

this is hard to answer because I've seen almost every brand used on stage within the punk/hardcore scene. Adding the alternative part to it tells me you may want a mesa boogie.

I briefly played in a 3 guitar band, and the other two had a tri rectifier and double rectifier. They dialed in pretty descent punk tones (especially the one that was played through a marshall cab) and they could quickly put it into metal territory and then "alternative" land.

I'm not sure though, I dont know what kind of sound you want.

I personally really like mesa boogie .50 calibers because they sound awesome and can dial in alot of rad tones, the fact that you can pick em up for less than $600 is a big plus as well.

I hate Marshall because they are
Overpriced
Overused
And I hate there generic sounds

IM SO SERIOUS RIGHT NOW

Count_Orlok's picture
PDX
Feb 2009
7 years ago
Originally Posted by superjesus117

I hate Marshall because they are
Overpriced
Overused
And I hate there generic sounds

thats cool I was just curious.

I think the dual rec will get you alot of good tones.

happy playing

asatbluesboy's picture
Brasil
Dec 2005
1 year ago

Lots of things to be considered, but I don't find Marshall (the good ones, that is) to sound generic. They were overused, of course, and kinda became a standard, hence giving the impression they sound generic. I love me some JTM45s and 2203s.

To me, the Dual Rec is way more generic, but I guess to each their own, right?

crew

Quote:

Originally posted by pop_n_fresh
The thought of EMGs on a Jag makes me vomit a little.

Originally posted by paradeblonde
Beep beeeep beeeeeeeeeep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPP

Selling BOSS FW-3. I live in Brazil, mind you, so prepare yourself for $30-ish for shipping and waiting. Local pickup available, along with beautiful beaches and cheap bitches.

TheGrinnan's picture
Earth
Apr 2003
10 months ago
Originally Posted by jm417

Hmm. You can pretty much use anything. Think of it this way: In the early days of punk the members of the band were usually unemployed or students so they were largely broke and used whatever they could. Many guys used PA heads with a distortion pedal. Solid state amps were pretty common. Other than that, it was mostly pawn shop stuff. A dual rec does pretty good punk sounds though. plus it can switch to different styles easier than a Marshall or Fender can.

This is beyond correct. A "true" punk wouldn't care and use anything.

Hell, get a second of what you got so you have two sets of tubes splitting/sharing the load.

I am the Grinnan, nobody else.

republic's picture
new jersey
Jan 2004
6 years ago

Ha, yeah, the true punk would just reply for all of us to "fu*k off" on each thread. There is no answer to this question but good luck if you go with the Mesa

http://www.myspace.com/AgencyMusic

CURRENT RIG:
Telecasters->Fullton Clyde Wah->MXR Phase 90 (r28 mod)->Fulltone Fulldrive2->Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-808->->Boss GE7 EQ->MXR Stereo Tremolo->Boss TU-2 Tuner->Boss Giga Delay->Crate V3112

AMPS
1959(?) Airline-Montgomery Ward
1967 Univox-Lafayette
1972 Fender Twin Reverb
1984 Marshall JCM 800 (2204)
1998 Fender Ultimate Chorus
2003 Crate V3112