4 posts / 0 new
Last post
tremulant's picture
Jun 2007
4 years ago

its hard to find some reviews on this amp. it was out the same time that the v-series were around, but where the vt-22 was a response to the twin reverb, this one was a response to the vibrolux or something like it. i know its not like the v-series in a few ways, it has two channels, runs off of 6L6's and not the 7027A's, but other than that, i dont know much about them. does anybody have any information or a review on it?

Originally Posted by Jackfuzz
View Post
SeaSick Steve . . . is that you ???
michael.flavor's picture
Chicago, USA
Oct 2008
2 years ago

Unless somebody beats me to it, I'll check the Ampeg book tonight for what it says.

michael.flavor's picture
Chicago, USA
Oct 2008
2 years ago

Actually, after checking the book, there's not really that much information about the GV-22. From what I can tell, it's a 2x12" combo that was only made from '69-'72, and was the last of the line of Gemini combos, which were jazzy clean machines. It seems like the closest Fender analogue was the Vibrolux Reverb, although the Ampeg G-20 Gemini (the GV-22's little brother) was the more direct competitor.

Of course, I'm just extrapolating all this from the book. I could be wrong.

olddawg's picture
Southern California & Hawaii usually, but I get around
Dec 2004
1 year ago

Here's a schematic: http://www.prowessamplifiers.com/schematics/ampeg/gv22_gemini22.pdf if you haven't found one yet.

At least it doesn't use 7027As for outputs. The rest is pretty straight foreward. My guess is that it weighs a ton and probably needs a cap job. It is a very clean amp with a lot of overhead. The reverb and trem will sound different than a Fender. I haven't got a clue what an afterbeat switch is. A lot of people sware by these odd old ampegs. Looking at the schematic though it isn't that odd. If you are going to buy it I would recommend thoroughly checking it out. It isn't something you should pick up off of eBay. You might want to ask around the Ampage forum.

Stage Guitars: '80s Thin line LP Custom, '70 LP Standard, '83 Squier Black Headstock Strat w/ Dan Torres pickups, '59 Black Danelectro DC, sometimes others.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A