14 posts / 0 new
Last post
kaicho8888's picture
San Francisco
Oct 2008
Today

Yep, as others suggested...almost all problems are loose solder joints at the tube pins. If you're handy with soldering just hit all the pins to re-melt or add more solder. You can also get a small screw driver and tighten the pin sockets together. Spray the pins with cleaner and reinsert a few times in the socket.

Old Rockers never die... we just fade away! 会長

999tko's picture
Dec 2016
1 week ago

I appreciate the advice. My technical skills on these types of things is very limited. I've pulled chassis' to replace speakers, replaced tubes, reverb cables etc. in the past in when needed, or in order to eliminate the simple stuff before taking or shipping chassis to a tech. All the preamp tubes have been changed now. Amp was serviced (caps etc.) before I bought it. I went with the 12au7 instead of 12at7 for the verb. For this amp I like the difference. Secured the tank. It sounds great. I really thought there was something wrong electronics wise in the tank but I guess not, time will tell. Verb sounds fine. No more ocean waves at high volumes, high frequencies. Never heard anything by tapping on tubes. I'm callin it good unless it pops up again, at that point I believe I'll let a tech look at it. Thanks again.

dc007's picture
North Carolina
Mar 2008
1 week ago
Originally Posted by 999tko

I appreciate the advice. My technical skills on these types of things is very limited. I've pulled chassis' to replace speakers, replaced tubes, reverb cables etc. in the past in when needed, or in order to eliminate the simple stuff before taking or shipping chassis to a tech. All the preamp tubes have been changed now. Amp was serviced (caps etc.) before I bought it. I went with the 12au7 instead of 12at7 for the verb. For this amp I like the difference. Secured the tank. It sounds great. I really thought there was something wrong electronics wise in the tank but I guess not, time will tell. Verb sounds fine. No more ocean waves at high volumes, high frequencies. Never heard anything by tapping on tubes. I'm callin it good unless it pops up again, at that point I believe I'll let a tech look at it. Thanks again.

Quite possibly a grounding issue with the tank which corrected by reattaching everything. OR the 12AU7 with much less gain....at any rate I am glad she is working good for you

The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa